UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

6541 - 6560 of 6610 Posts

·
Registered
23,247 Posts
I can accept that in things like textbooks, non fiction etc. But in fiction books as well? :Stop.
ikr?o_O only excuse for writing in a fiction book IMO is a message if you are gifting it to somebody.
I have a book which is inscribed on the first page 'for Laura's library, 1852'....always makes me wonder about who sent it and their relationship to Laura.:)

·
Premium Member
33,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6,542 ·
I take it you don't give them to charity shops after you've used them:eek::Hilarious:Hilarious:Hilarious.....
That reminds me, I've got stacks of books they could have, just sitting there collecting dust,

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Do charity shops still take books then?

A lot of them round here won't take books anymore as they just don't sell, which I find to be a very sad state of affairs.

Reactions: Oof

·
Registered
6,313 Posts

A lot of them round here won't take books anymore as they just don't sell, which I find to be a very sad state of affairs.
Both National Trust places near me have second hand book stores where you make donations. The stately home has one as well as the house is run by a charity. It's in a lovely area with comfortable chairs. They put a sign in the library upstairs that the books in that section were not to be removed!

·
Registered
2,392 Posts

Most charity shops round me still do.
Even if they don't sell in the shops many charities have contracts with companies that buy items for a price per kilo.
That's the same with clothes that are too worn to sell on etc.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts

World of books (WOB?) can take books. Obviously not a charity, but they keep books in circulation at good prices (free p+p too). You may be able to get some cash for them too

·
Cat slave
3,528 Posts
THE WEATHER.

Being June, the evenings are lovely and light, but it's been too cold to sit outside! In general, the weather in Yorkshire has been a bit naff for June. Hurry up and get warm!
Oh, and hay fever and general allergies. My cat allergy with Rudy seems to be bad at the minute. I bet the little sod has been laying in the grass, so I've got double-allergy: cat and pollen.

Rudy often gets fed elsewhere....long story. One of the neighbours took pity on him and fed him a hot dog! Rudy, being Rudy, ate it. No wonder his breath stinks sometimes and his farts are rank.

Reactions: Deguslave

·
Hound Lover
2,570 Posts
THE WEATHER.

Being June, the evenings are lovely and light, but it's been too cold to sit outside! In general, the weather in Yorkshire has been a bit naff for June. Hurry up and get warm!
Oh, and hay fever and general allergies. My cat allergy with Rudy seems to be bad at the minute. I bet the little sod has been laying in the grass, so I've got double-allergy: cat and pollen.

Rudy often gets fed elsewhere....long story. One of the neighbours took pity on him and fed him a hot dog! Rudy, being Rudy, ate it. No wonder his breath stinks sometimes and his farts are rank.
The weather is weird here at the moment in Manchester. Its generally staying around 18-20 degrees in the daytime (we've had a few hotter days) but then at night/in the morning its freezing! Not really getting above 10-11 degrees . Saying all that though I did get sunburnt on holiday a couple weeks ago, that was down in Devon . It was getting up to 24-25 some days there which is the most I can tolerate heat wise really, any hotter and I start struggling.

·
Look into my eyes....
17,612 Posts
Drove down to Cirencester this morning along the Fosseway and was greatly saddened to see how many Ash trees have die back. The council have spent the last two winters cutting down diseased trees, but it looks like they will be at it again this winter.
The disease was first seen in east anglia, yet the trees there generally seem fine, but the trees in Gloucestershire have been absolutely hammered by die back.
There is a large ash tree on our static pitch in Suffolk plus a number in the woodland opposite, yet they are still going strong with no signs of die back.

Reactions: Jackie C

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
There's a few online second hand book shops who buy books. If the charity shop won't take them, it would save them going to landfill.
World of books (WOB?) can take books. Obviously not a charity, but they keep books in circulation at good prices (free p+p too). You may be able to get some cash for them too
Thank you both. I've got bunch of books I want to get rid of and didmn't know what to do with them. Hate trhe thought of them going in bin, so just keeping them until I could find someone to take them.

Reactions: Oof and Deguslave

·
Still missing my boys
42,311 Posts
Drove down to Cirencester this morning along the Fosseway and was greatly saddened to see how many Ash trees have die back. The council have spent the last two winters cutting down diseased trees, but it looks like they will be at it again this winter.
The disease was first seen in east anglia, yet the trees there generally seem fine, but the trees in Gloucestershire have been absolutely hammered by die back.
There is a large ash tree on our static pitch in Suffolk plus a number in the woodland opposite, yet they are still going strong with no signs of die back.
Two thirds at least are affected in my area. It's going to rather scary when the winds start this winter. So many dead or dying trees :(

·
Look into my eyes....
17,612 Posts
Two thirds at least are affected in my area. It's going to rather scary when the winds start this winter. So many dead or dying trees :(
I just couldn't believe how many there were considering the council took loads down over the winter. They are quite far gone too, small areas of leaves and large areas of just bare twigs and branches. The ask on our pitch is looking really lush and verdant in comparison.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Thank you both. I've got bunch of books I want to get rid of and didmn't know what to do with them. Hate trhe thought of them going in bin, so just keeping them until I could find someone to take them.
Nooooo please don't bin them! (I mean, you CAN, your choice of course), but plz don't!

In my area in covid, people were putting their unwanted books in plastic folders and leaving them next to trees with a note saying to take and bring back when they're finished with. Is it called 'little libraries' or something

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Nooooo please don't bin them! (I mean, you CAN, your choice of course), but plz don't!

In my area in covid, people were putting their unwanted books in plastic folders and leaving them next to trees with a note saying to take and bring back when they're finished with. Is it called 'little libraries' or something
Don't worry, would never bin books, that's why I said "Hate the thought of them going in bin, so just keeping them until I could find someone to take them."

·
Look into my eyes....
17,612 Posts
There are two BT phone boxes in the village and one of them was decommissioned some years ago. The village asked to keep it and it has been turned into a mini library where people can exchange books and a place to have the defibrillator. We also have an area on the static site where we can leave items including books for other people to enjoy.
Must admit though I rarely read a physical book these days as I prefer to use the kindle or the iPad via the kindle app

Reactions: Lurcherlad
6541 - 6560 of 6610 Posts