Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Petshop - Breeder - Rescue?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Tink82, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Tink82

Tink82 PetForums VIP

Now that Pepsi is well and truly mended (yey!!) I'm starting to look for a girlfriend for him, would like to get it all sorted before I go back to uni the end of sept so I know they are ok together.

I have had big long talks with my OH about it all, and we really don't want to go down the nuetering route again as it was just awful :( so that sort of rules out another from the shop where I got Pepsi as they are all small, and most breeders, leaving me with rescue buns.

Now, I have searched and searched and have yet to find one that I like or that is suitable (fell totally in love with a doe but turns out she just cannot be bonded as she is very aggressive) and came across a site that looks good, however the process is just silly!!! and the cost per rabit is £50.

This seems to be the case for most rescues, I can understand the need to cover vets costs etc but £50 and home checks? This would put most people off adopting when you can go to a petshop, and buy a bun for about £20 and walk out with it there and then (not saying I think it is right but it is a lot easier) and you get exactly what you wanted.

it all seems a bit backward to me? well, I'm totally lost as to what we should do! any tips or advce??

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

£50 sounds very reasonable to me.

Myxi Vacc - £25
    VHD Vacc - £25
    Neutering - £40-£80

Sounds like a bargain to me.

crofty likes this.
  3. Tink82

Tink82 PetForums VIP

Pepsi hasn't had any vaccinations as he doesn't go outside, hmmm this could be a problem if I get a rescue couldn't it?

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Not to mention the fact that the money goes towards the rescue, rehabilitation and rehoming of in excess of 30,000 rabbits. Whereas petshops and breeders its mostly profit.

Personally id NEVER buy from a petshop or breeder again. Id rather not have a rabbit, than condone the ways that these animals are bred and housed.

5. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Yes. I doubt a rescue would allow you to take one unless yours was vaccinated.

It doesnt matter if they go outside or not, they are still at risk of disease.

6. princesspinky

princesspinky PetForums Junior

id go with a rescue 100% no doubt about the best!

7. Tink82

Tink82 PetForums VIP

I understand that, just think people buying first time would head straight for a petshop then a rescue as you wouold look at initial price

8. AmyCruick

AmyCruick PetForums VIP

My local rescue centre (Woodgreen) just asks for a donation but suggest a min of £20. They have 3 centres but they are all in the Cambridge area which probably isn't much good to you.

They will do the bonding for you too if required, in the past when they've done that for me I've given them more than usual but if I do the bonding myself I'm not quite so generous ;)

As Nonnie said though when you get rabbits from rescues they're fully vaccinated and neutered which saves you money in the long run!

crofty likes this.
  9. kellyrich

kellyrich PetForums VIP

I totally agree with you. Its nice to rescue a bun of course it is but not always the quickest or cheapest option and there isnt always the one that you want. I think it is far too long winded and thats why people go to breeders or buy from shops!

Have you tried looking on preloved? Or sun classifieds? Sometimes they will already be spayed and vaccinated on there!

But i do think you should get your bun vaccinated, it only cost me £30 for both of the jabs and its worth it in the end.

Good luck with your search.

What type of bun are you wanting?

10. Tink82

Tink82 PetForums VIP

That's where I have been looking but with no joy :(

11. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Of course they will. People want what they want, they want it NOW, and they want it at the cheapest price.

They are blinkered to the many aspect of health and welfare, and put themselves and their needs in front of the animals, and give no thought to where or the conditions, their new pet has come from.

Hence why we have 30,000 plus buns in rescue.

12. Tink82

Tink82 PetForums VIP

Thanks! glad you understood me he he! :D I'm not really sure if that makes sense?! I will know when I see. Pepsi is a lionhead, but I love lops, a lionhead lop would be great! I love sendy colours or grey or black. I'm not too fussy, but I'll know her when I see her!

My vet said as Pepsi is a house rabbit he wont need any jabs. hmmm, best see another!

13. Tink82

Tink82 PetForums VIP

That's what I mean by it being backwards. I think I should be in government so I can make a law for it all. VOTE TINK!! :D

14. Tink82

Tink82 PetForums VIP

I have noticed most say 'donation' but it is compulsery lol!! (Not that I wouldn't give anything)

15. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

Hey Tink82

First of all all buns should be vaccinated, inside or out it makes no difference :confused:

Secondly £50 for a vacc and neutered bun compared to £25 and then those costs on top plus hassle and worry of getting them done from a petshop seems pretty good to me.

Ive rescued and dont think its a long procedure at all and there are hundreds of buns out there looking for homes. Rescues want to makesure these buns go to good responsible homes after their bad start in life.

Up to you at the end of the day though.

16. VampiricLust

VampiricLust PetForums Senior

I find it quite insensitive that people have stated that rescuing is expensive and long winded. My minimum donation is £45- This includes a mxyi vaccine and neutering. It costs me considerably more.

What i say to people is this:

Initial pet shop/breeder cost: £30
    Mxyi vacc: £20
    VHD vacc: £20
    Neutering £50-£80
    Seperate accomodation until neutering has been done: £80

That is around: £230 at the top end.

One of my special rescues, Toby, was from a neglect case, he became very skinny, very dehydrated, and had suspected Peritonitus. He cost me £460 over 4 days including hospitalisation, IV fluids, X-rays. Yet his adoption donation remained at £45. Could someone have afforded to pay this out if from a breeder?

Bramble, a seriously ill Continental Giant, Who had 6 months here with us, during that time, cost me in excess of £1200.

No matter whether indoors or out, bunnies run the same risk of disease.
    Mxyi is spread by biting insects, so if you have ever been bitten by a gnat, your bun could get mxyi.
    VHD is bacterial and you could even walk it in on your shoes, therefore a house bunny runs the same risk.

crofty likes this.
  17. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

Its the minimum donation to help cover costs.

18. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

You do a wonderful job Kris I dont think I could do it xx

19. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

........Im actually lost for words.

edit: not meant in a nasty way, just shocked thats all.

#19 crofty, Aug 7, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  20. AmyCruick

AmyCruick PetForums VIP

Yes I think the min £20 is compulsory. I usually pay about £40 which is great value with all the 'perks' you get. My local rescue as well as injections and neutering also give 6 weeks free pet insurance and all the rabbits I've had are microchipped under my name and address.... little things like this make all the difference and this is why I always rescue.

P.S my rabbits are house bunnies too and I still get them jabbed although 12monthly rather than 6 monthly the vet says is enough.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice