UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been seeing a girl for about 4 months now, she has an 8 month old border collie/lab mix and I have a 2 yr old golden doodle.

We've been having issues when we stay at each others places. Individually both of our dogs behave very well for the most part and if I'm alone with my dog or she is alone with hers there aren't many issues when it comes to sleeping but when we get the two of them together they seem unsettled and fight for attention. Both of them want to be up on the bed and as close to us as possible, in most cases it ends up with dogs laying on top of our feet or right up beside us giving barely any breathing room.

We try to kick them off the bed often, sometimes after a while it works and they will sleep on the floor, other times they just keep jumping back up until we get so tired that we don't even fight it anymore.

I don't have as big of an issue with it but my girlfriend hasn't been getting the best sleeps when we are together with the dogs and I'd like to find a way to help the situation.

Exercising the dogs before bed seems to help in some cases, if they are really tired out from a long session of playing/walking they behave a little but not always. And we don't always have the opportunity to do that before bed every night either.

G

·
Can you buy an identical 1 metre square ottoman, you can push against the bed, at both places, and teach one dog to sleep on that? Lessens the squeeze from both sides. Don't get wheels. If it moves, they'll not use it.

·
Registered
15,290 Posts
We try to kick them off the bed often, sometimes after a while it works and they will sleep on the floor, other times they just keep jumping back up until we get so tired that we don't even fight it anymore.
Literally all you're teaching them when you give in is to keep trying for longer and longer because it will eventually work. I had a couple of sleepless nights when teaching my last dog that he wasn't getting up on the bed with us at night. If you want them in the bedroom but off the bed then unfortunately you may have to just suck it up for a few nights and consistently remove them every single time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Literally all you're teaching them when you give in is to keep trying for longer and longer because it will eventually work. I had a couple of sleepless nights when teaching my last dog that he wasn't getting up on the bed with us at night. If you want them in the bedroom but off the bed then unfortunately you may have to just suck it up for a few nights and consistently remove them every single time.
We are definitely trying but perhaps have to be more consistent and persistent with it. We just get tired of pushing them off and just want to sleep. I don't have an issue with leaving them outside the room but when we tried that my dog is fine but her dog will sit at the bedroom door and cry, we try to ignore it but she doesn't seem to stop

·
Registered
41 Posts
I agree with the other comments, the only way to get around this is to keep getting them off every time they get up. I know it may seem like a pain in the bum! but it will pay off eventually and you will all have lovely nights sleep!
I did this with my dog and he got the message after a few nights.

·
Registered
15,290 Posts
We are definitely trying but perhaps have to be more consistent and persistent with it. We just get tired of pushing them off and just want to sleep. I don't have an issue with leaving them outside the room but when we tried that my dog is fine but her dog will sit at the bedroom door and cry, we try to ignore it but she doesn't seem to stop
Can you set up training sessions for it? Pretend to go to bed when you're not actually tired so you can keep getting up and removing them? The problem with giving up is that you actually teach them to be more persistent with the behaviour.

Do you just spend occasional nights together or are you together most nights? If it's just now and then it's probably going to be even harder for the dogs to learn the rules to be honest, especially if they sleep on your beds normally.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
There seems to be lots of good advice here, I would do as others have said and just be consistant and persistant! I would also suggest that you not let the dogs on the bed even when you are at your own houses on your own so its more consistant, get them a nice bed to sleep in on the bedroom floor or crate train them.

·
Registered
60 Posts
With dogs there can be no inconsistency when you want to change a behaviour as allowing them on a bed and then not wanting them on the bed you and your girlfriend share is very confusing for both dogs.

You will have to stand your ground and put them off the bed, off your own beds when alone for the message to get through.

You can train your dogs to keep off the bed by buying them a dogbed each, put it on floor in the bedroom, tell the dogs bed, buy a clicker, then click and treat the second they go on their bed. Marking the behaviour you want and rewarding for it helps the dog to understand what you want.

For this too work, you will have to ban your dog from your own bed when back home, your girlfriend too or you are wasting your time trying to stop them. It takes 30 repetitions to make a new behaviour stick in a dogs mind hence the need for consistency and not just when your sharing the bed.

Good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.