Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pets at home

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by harley bear, Sep 19, 2013.

1. harley bear

harley bear PetForums VIP

We have had a new store open by us and i have to ask...how on earth can anyone go in there and not cope out with an adopted pet?

Its the first time i have ever been in pets at home and i very nearly came out with another hamster and a rabbit!

I dont think ill be able to go there again :eek:

2. owns the beast

owns the beast PetForums Senior

I can just about resist but have to confess it's the first place I go to when I visit my local store :D

3. la468

la468 Guest

I always go look at the rabbits and other animals whenever I'm in. I remember one rat was stood up poking his little nose through the cage hole when we were watching him, was really cute. :D

4. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

Will power. It's the only way.

5. harley bear

Well we spotted the hammies first and i fell in love with the little lady that needed a new home...
    Then i was made all squishy by the bunny who was up for adoption ...then we went round the corner and my heart went into total melt down over a huge ginger rabbit called Chedder :001_wub: we had a cuddle and everything :eek:

I really didnt want to leave the poor boy and if i had an indoor cage where he could sleep at night i would have had him like a shot! He was just soooo adorable kept throwing his toys at us and his food bowl because he knew it was nearly feeding time.

Awww god, im going all mushy again! I dont know what it is about animals who need adopting..i can resist the little ones because i know they will go to homes quite quickly.

6. astro2011

astro2011 PetForums VIP

New pets at home at ours too in Dunfermline. Cant wait! Love pets at home lol

7. MrRustyRead

MrRustyRead PetForums VIP

Well if you saw how they are bred you would understand why a lot of people do not walk out with one and now refuse to shop in there.

8. harley bear

This rabbit had been taken back to the store because the owner no longer wanted them, i dont know much about pah so i cant really comment on the breeding conditions all i know about them is that you make a small donation which goes to a charity?

9. MrRustyRead

i am not aware of where the money goes exactly, but the ones in the adoption section are very often the ones that are no one wanted and arent small and cute for the main rabbit bit.

only way to describe their breeding practice is rodent farm, intensive breeding, pumping babies out with no consideration for health, temperament. just want to sell to make a profit.

10. blade100

blade100 PetForums VIP

Quite often you will find its there "old stock" that they can not sell or have grown out of there too cute to sell age!

Pets at home are known for mis sexing animals, bad breeding and lack of knowledge about certain pets and some staff won't handle rats as they don't like them :rolleyes:

But if you want to know where and how they get there stock here you go
    Why not use Pet Shops?

11. harley bear

To be honest we didnt really look at the babies.

I know the adoption section is for the ones that no one wanted, another reason why Chedder tugged on my heart strings :eek: Apparently the reason why he was returned was because his owner got bored of him :(

12. smudgiesmummy

smudgiesmummy PetForums VIP

just to add ... not all pet shops are the same where they get their stock from and staff do actually know how to sex rodents !!!

13. witchyone

witchyone PetForums VIP

Personally I don't think pet shops should sell live animals, who knows where or what might happen to these animals. Best off going to a breeder or rescue, for the animals sake at least. Your vetted for being appropriate for the type of animal you wish to have. Pet shops should stick to selling just pet products.

There was a pet shop near where I used to live that stocked live animals and I felt so sorry for the poor creatures. One day I saw a little budgie in a tiny cage in the window, I went in and bought him. Yes I know I shouldn't have because it just makes the owner of the shop get in more stock when another sells. Anyway, Merlin the budgie is still with me eight years later :)

14. Wiz201

Wiz201 PetForums VIP

I can walk in and out without being bothered by them. Not interested in keeping rodents, rabbits or guinea pigs at the moment.

15. tillysdream

tillysdream Banned

I am just thankful they don't sell cats (my pet of choice). or I would probably have a house full. :)

16. blade100

blade100 PetForums VIP

No good breeder would sell there small animals to a pet shop!
    As witchyone says you don't know who or where they are going to.
    Usually a good breeder will ask to see your set up, ask you to fill out a questionnaire before selling you a pet. Same goes for good rescue centres.

17. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

Please let us not turn another Pets at home post into a 'wrongs and rights' of where to get a pet from.

However much some of you would want to you can't educate all about the 'wrongs' of pet shops, some people just don't have the luxury of being able to have a breeder close by and either can't or won't travel very long distances to get to a breeder, also breeders can be very expensive.

Finally, not all pet shops are the same, I went to a pet shop once as a child to get a hamster, the hamsters were sold to the pet shop from a private breeder and the shop kept them in the biggest cage ever:thumbup: and before you ask, I know the hamsters were from a private breeder as I knew the breeder.

Thank you

18. MrRustyRead

some of mine came from p@h before i knew better, my latest two came from a breeder to which i travelled around 5 hours in total to get them because their ethics were a lot better than others.

i agree that changing how pet shops work wont happen over night, so the best way to do it is protest with your wallet and not give them your money.

19. Hanwombat

Hanwombat I ♥ dogs with eyebrows !!

Would never buy a pet from there - poor animals.

I only go in there to puppy toys.

20. Lavenderb

Lavenderb PetForums VIP

and to research a good breeder as not all breeders are ethical. I've heard of some culling their less attractive animals.....buyer beware.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice