Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

pets at home advice needed

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by seanmac, Nov 3, 2012.

1. seanmac

seanmac PetForums Senior

I was disgusted to find that pets at home separate there rescue bunnies when brought in together. We popped in today to chat about Cadbury and they had 2 bunnies from the same home separated both bunnies get on together but they say they separate them.

We are thinking about taking them on seriously thinking about it, Lindsey has 3 weeks left and they will be put on health pet club so vet bills are kept low as we pay monthly.

They have been apart for 6 weeks we have 2 hutches anyway well 3 including our indoor cage, but we would like to house them together if possible they are not being looked at, a lady took in 6 rabbits 6 weeks ago and not one has been touched. :(

2. Lil Miss

Lil Miss PetForums VIP

if you take them on now they will NEED to be kept indoors till spring

also being seperated for 6 weeks, they will have most likely forgotten each other and will need bonding from scratch again

3. seanmac

seanmac PetForums Senior

Ok well we assumed that they would need to be kept in till spring, so we are going to bring in one of the out door hutches our hall way is very big, so both will fit in there, also will follows bernies advice on bonding.

There both neutered and vaccinated that said the info pets at home gave up was limited on vaccinated they couldn't confirm the date they where due, so will contact vet see what they say on that.

4. seanmac

seanmac PetForums Senior

These are the 2 bunnies where defo taking them on :D

I might get some abuse from some of you as i have in the past but we will love them very much :001_smile:

Attached Files:

5. jaxb05

jaxb05 PetForums VIP

I'm really glad these two gorgeous bunnies have found a new home :)

6. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

There lovely looking bunnies :) I'm sure they'll be very happy with you.

You do really need to give all your old rabbit stuff a good clean with vikron s or f10 before bringing them home. Also these rabbits won't be protected against VHD til 2 weeks after they've had the vaccine

7. seanmac

seanmac PetForums Senior

Everything was cleaned the day after Cadbury passed away sadly.

Also we have replaced the feeding, toilet and water bottle. Just to be save there not going in cadburys hutch for now as thats far to big to bring in at the moment until we can atleast get them together.

8. seanmac

seanmac PetForums Senior

i was thinking of making a complaint about separating bonded rabbits, my take on it as it came across was that one rabbit was easier to re-home than 2 so they split them :( find that very sad

9. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

I agree with you but those tiny glass cabinets wouldn't house 2 rabbits and I doubt the partition comes out.

10. seanmac

seanmac PetForums Senior

they have a giant rabbit for Giant rabbits, that they never have in, in our store.

Apparently this previous owner brought in 6 rabbits.

11. seanmac

seanmac PetForums Senior

Gizmo seems terrified of people and Blue well his as easy going as anything.

We started Bernie thing and blue just kept mounting Gizmo anywhere he could, no fights, Gizmo was more than happy for Blue to be in his space but Blue just mounted and mounted him even spraying with water didnt stop him so i have left them apart.

They are next are opposite each other with a 3ft walk way between them and they seem happy.

12. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

Mounting is all part of the process and now you've split them it will only happen all over again when you decide to re-introduce them.
    When humping starts I just tend to push them off and distract with nommy food, it can take a few attempts but they get the idea eventually :)

13. seanmac

seanmac PetForums Senior

what do i do about gizmo he is terrified of people, oddly he loves my dog, but when we go near him he runs away dog goes near him they go nose to nose very sweet.

14. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

Just give him time, you haven't had them long.

15. seanmac

seanmac PetForums Senior

Ok booked into the vet on the 14th just have check ups and vaccinations.

Im sure the breads are wrong and i think i was lied to they might have lived together but there totally different breads ant see how they where brothers?

16. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

If you post pics I can help to see if they are related or not, but as they are two bucks you might not actually get them together, it is possible but not every buck is suited to live with another boy.

17. seanmac

seanmac PetForums Senior

They lived together before but where separated by pets at home due to no reason they could give.

There are pics on page one and on my profile i think :001_smile:

18. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

They both look like generic cross breeds to me so could very easily be litter mates, but remember just because they were together before doesn't mean they will definitely bond back together.
    And besides P@H are very well known for lying (or stretching the truth/making it up as they go along) so I would take what they said with a pinch of salt and just deal with what you have in front of you :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice