Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Petrol...Why the silence?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by poohdog, Apr 18, 2011.

1. poohdog

poohdog PetForums VIP

We are seeing massive increases week by week in the cost of fuel.Some people commuting long distances to work must be paying £20/£30 more tax EACH WEEK..over this time last year.
    Where are the politicians?...there doesn't seem to be any discussion of this massive problem...where is it going to end?...all we've had to date is one soddin' penny not added on to this huge increase...BIG DEAL!!

What are they waiting for?...bloody riots on the streets or what? The least they could do is get a minister on the box to tell us what's happening...and why.

2. littleBichon

littleBichon PetForums Member

I heard that its going up by 2p in January anyway :confused:

I now pay £200 a month just to get to work. and on a take home pay of around£800 that is ridiculous!

3. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

its shocking also though the price difference up and down the country...here diesel is 144.9p a litre when we were away at blackpool it was about 139.00p..why the hell such a difference :eek:

they perhaps dropped it by a penny in the budget...but it went up 2p ...

4. bexy1989

bexy1989 PetForums VIP

Don't think its made much difference here, OH fills up a 10 if he needs to as he only uses the car to get to/from work and into town.

although one asda here a couple of weeks back on the fast lane was selling petrol at 12.9p a litre :lol: took them two hours to notice the decimal point was in the wrong place :lol:

5. sarybeagle

sarybeagle PetForums VIP

I know DH is traveling over 100 miles a day commuting and it's costing us over £80 now a week just on petrol.

Our company has just scrapped paying mileage to the carers that drive (was 40p per mile) and now they have to claim it back annually from inland revenue. 3 carers have quit in the last week as their petrol money is what kept them just above water. My friend Is at least £200 down a month straight away on that cut alone :(

6. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

If this was France there would be blockades by now!!!

What happened to the fighting spirit of this country?? 11 years ago it was mass protest and fuel was almost half the price it is now!!

I was saying to the OH last night, that if go-slows & blockades were organised, I would actually take time off work to join them!!!

The motorist is being held to bl**dy ransom and no fecker actually cares!!!

It doesn't matter WHO is in govt, every party sees drivers are being easy money into the pot!

It is TOTALLY winding me up.... :cursing: :incazzato: :cursing: :incazzato:

7. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

I'm not hugely bothered because quite simply whilst it affects me a bit, even if petrol was £1 a litre it'd still be expensive to me sort of thing. Petrol isn't a necessity for me luckily so its always a luxury to be able to go places in my car and that's probably why I'm not so hugely interested.

I go hardly anywhere, put it this way! Last time I filled up it was 126.9, I saw up the road was 134.9 the other day :laugh: :rolleyes:

Random fact - we pay more for a bottle of water than we do the equivalent amount of petrol. Some economists would say we just always had it easy with petrol as it was hideously cheap, and now its not as cheap people are angry but don't seem to realise how good we had it before.

Some people reckon it will get up to £2 a litre don't they. Government wont let it happen. I wouldn't be surprised to see them introduce some sort of fuel assistance for people on low incomes.

8. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

EVERYONE is affected by fuel prices even if they don't drive.

Goods & food items need to be transported around the country. Every penny on fuel is added to these and we the consumer pay for it at Tescos / Morrisons / Asda etc. Even if you buy 'locally' the price will still increase because farmers & growers still have to buy grain / fertiliser/ etc and the cost of those will have gone up so the local growers still have to pass on that extra charge.

The more hauliers have to charge for fuel, the more companies go out of business because they can't afford to move their goods and their buyers can't afford to pay the extra costs that fuel charges add to the items.

High fuel costs means an economy that is spiralling downwards.

If the cost of fuel is lowered, however, the economy improves. Cheaper food & goods means that people have spare cash in their pockets to spend. Shops get busier & employ more staff. Shops need more goods to sell so manufacturing needs to increase which means employing more staff. More staff being employed means more people paying into the income tax pot & the NI pot. More people being employed means fewer people out of work so fewer people taking OUT of the pot in the form of benefits. The more money the govt have in the pot, the more they can out into schools/ NHS / councils/ etc.

No-body wins when fuel costs are so high.

9. poohdog

poohdog PetForums VIP

More fool the people paying way over the odds for flippin' water.I'm glad to hear you're rich...or haven't you noticed everything you buy is rocketing in price because the cost of fuel affects everything...including peoples eventual funeral cortege.
    The only way any government will step in is either...they will lose power at an election...or there are bloody riots on the streets like Egypt and Tunisia where the people were sick of living on poverty wages.And the cost of fuel is reducing many people here into poverty who have to travel a long way to work...rocketing rail fares don't help.
    This country's all tax tax tax, because the idiots in charge throw it away rather than help their own hard working people.

10. GoldenShadow

I have to write a 3000 word essay all about oil for a module this term, I am well clued up on it and its not quite as black and white as you have written depending on who you speak to.

As I mentioned below to PoohDog quite simply as it doesn't affect me very much its not as high up on my agenda for change as other things. That's all it is. If I needed my car more I am sure it would be higher on my priority list, but I have other concerns which I feel are more pressing.

Will reply to a couple bits in your post below its a bit muddled in this big thing :)

Not really because I don't buy much. I eat cheap food that's on offer from the shops, usually always freezer stuff. Aside from that all I buy is a few uni supplies and things for the dogs. Don't buy many clothes, I live off £20 a week and that includes £6 to the dog walker.

If you saw my bank balance you would see I'm not at all rich, I simply stated that luckily petrol is not a necessity for me but a luxury.

Fuel wont go up and up forever, they will do something whether its a popular way they do it or not. I just can't see it going up very much more they will do something, and as it doesn't affect me very much I am not as passionate about it as people who are.

To be honest being the age I am even having a car is a massive luxury its never been a necessity but oh em gee I've got a car that's amazing. If I have any cash to put fuel in/tax it and go places that's great. But before last year I was used to walking/cycling miles to get where I wanted to go and buying everything off the internet, that still feels more normal to me than having a car so being so indirectly affected I don't feel the need to personally campaign to have something done, I have faith the government will do something to help those struggling with fuel costs.

#10 GoldenShadow, Apr 19, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  11. sophoscar

sophoscar PetForums VIP

I don't really go out at the weekend now, i've just put £40 on saturday and thats got to get me to northampton and back at the weekend though looks like i'll be filling up again.

Plus the idea of a new car is out the question, really want an astra but i don't see the point now.

12. manic rose

manic rose PetForums VIP

the price of petrol/diesel is just so high at the moment. its roughly twice as expensive as when I first passed my test. thank god I dont have to travel as far to work now.

work at a haulage company and dread to think how much extra they have to spend on fuel everytime it increases. :eek: its one of their fav excuses for not giving workers a pay rise....despite getting all new cars for managers and directors, refitting managers office and getting large screen tvs that are completely unnecessary. funny how they can find money for that :mad: :rolleyes:: (sorry rant over!)

my boyfriend has 3 kids that live about 2hrs drive away - the journeys there and back must cost him a small fortune in fuel. no wonder he never has a great deal of money free and cant afford to move out from his dads place :cryin:

13. Snippet

Snippet PetForums VIP

My mum is now spending over £100 to fill her van up. As a result of this she's had to put her prices up (self employed gardener) so her lifestyle stays the same. Fuel is so expensive that I'm willing to bet I wouldn't be able to afford to drive even if I could afford the insurance.

14. GoldenShadow

I'm just replying with what I have been taught this term and at my sixth form/previous uni for a few weeks. I would have thought similarly to how you do but technically speaking a lot of the above isn't really right.

In terms of when you said companies being unable to afford fuel and closing, yes I go with that and yes jobs could/would be lost but I think that is about the only job avenue really affected by this.

15. Chinquary

Chinquary PetForums Senior

Apart from the planet.

Higher fuel costs is encouraging people to walk more, and for companies to look at ways to reduce their fuel usage, be it reducing the weight of their packaging, or like places like Lush - getting rid of packaging altogether or Ikea - by making furniture flat-packed so it takes up less room in trucks so they need to do less journeys.

If only the government would pull their finger out and make public transport better and cheaper. Rail prices are astronomical.

16. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

@ Goldenshadow

You concentrate much of your reply on people purchasing their groceries however, when people have 'spare' cash they tend to buy or spend on what would be considered luxury items like new shoes / dvd's / pc games / a night out at the movies / going out for a meal / a new book / a day out visiting a tourist spot / having a gardener come in to do their garden... etc....

These are many other industries, outside of supermarkets, that would benefit from people having more money and who would, ultimately, also have to employ more staff to keep up with demand.

17. GoldenShadow

My reply comes from text books/journals and wider reading I have done this term. There is no way if petrol prices go down a bit people are going to be spending enough in other areas to create new jobs, it simply wouldn't happen. A change in price of something does not reflect a change in the demand of that item unless it is luxurious and not a necessity. Petrol being a necessity to most will always be in similar demand and the people with a bit more money back from petrol being cheaper are going to spend it all in varying places down to personal taste and opinion, hence there is no specific sector where jobs will be created. It wont happen.

Yes industries benefit from people spending more money but demand for basic items does not increase with a price decrease. People have to spend money to keep the economy going and without people spending we will get nowhere, but its not like a family having an extra £30 a week are going to be able to fund a job for somebody the money will be going to places like you said restaurants etc which are already lacking in custom and it will make their figures up to what they were pre problems, they are not going to need to employ more people because petrol is a bit cheaper and people have more money. Lots of people are not even breaking even so couldn't afford to go out etc even if petrol was cheaper.

#17 GoldenShadow, Apr 19, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  18. Lumpy

Lumpy PetForums Senior

I'm a mental health support worker and my mileage allowance hasn't increased since I started my current job eight years ago. I rarely use the car for personal use now - I walk, use public transport or don't go - but I don't have the choice when I am at work.

I work for a charity and with all the cuts they can't afford to put the mileage allowance up.

19. blackdiamond

blackdiamond PetForums Senior

Fuel is a neccessity to me as i live in the middle of nowhere. My local fuel station is charging: 145.9 for unleaded & 149.9 for diesel.
    The government should be stepping in & lowering the bloody prices.

I know of some haulage companys that have closed down due to the fuel prices !

It makes my blood boil.

XxX

20. sarybeagle

sarybeagle PetForums VIP

At least you still have yours, our company has stopped paying it from the day the informed us! Drivers now have to wait until next April to get their mileage back! :mad:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice