Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Petplan problems.....

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by ScruffyCat, Oct 5, 2013.

1. ScruffyCat

ScruffyCat PetForums Senior

As we had a bit of a poorly time with scruff which cost me a fortune at the vets I signed him up for petplan.

I took the life cover plan so it stated that long term, chronic and recurring illness was covered. I received the paper work today and it said that scruff is not covered for any vomiting or diarrhoea illness or any gastro illness from the 25/9/2013.

So does this mean he is not covered for any on going treatment that was a result of the illness on the 25th or does that mean that he is NOT covered at all for the above should he get it again on an unrelated illness?

Thank you in advance! I am rubbish at understanding the small print on these kinds of things...

2. Temperance

Temperance PetForums Member

Any illness he had prior to you taking the plan out is not covered, nor any illness with the same symptoms.

Because our cat was spayed as a pregnant stray and as a result of the natural hormones had slightly enlarged teats requiring no treatment petplan have excluded all future mamory or hormonal disorders.

#2 Temperance, Oct 5, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  3. ScruffyCat

That is very annoying as if he gets gastro again which is highly likely he won't be covered as he had it prior to the insurance starting... So recurring issues prior to insurance is not covered.

Always with the loop wholes :mad:

4. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

When did you take out the policy? For the first 14 days of the policy you are not covered for any illness that occurs in those first 14 days. Although petplan did and I assume still do cover for accident from day 1 when you take it out.

For anything also that occurs within those 14 days, there is usually an ongoing exemption meaning that similar types of illnesses will not be covered as they tend to group illness into types. So diarrhoea and vomiting for example becomes disorders of the digestive tract full stop.

Also when you take out a policy, anything at all previously on the animals records claimed for or not, is classed as an exemption too, so if he had vomiting and diarrhoea sometime in the past before you took it out, then again you would be exempt from this type of illness ie digestive tract disorders whatever the cause.

One of mines got an exemption on their PP for eye disorders and all he had previously when being with another company was something in his eye I had flushed out but had been in there obviously long enough to set up a bacterial infection. I hadn't even claimed, as all they did was put in dye to check there was nothing in there and that there was no injury and prescribe AB eye drops
    for the infection, as it was below the excess I paid and didn't even previously claim. It did say however if he did have something wrong with his eyes in the future and I got a letter from the vet saying it was unrelated I could appeal, so don't know if that's something you may be able to do later if he stays problem free now for a good while, you would have to ask.

Anything completely new occurring you should be able to claim for.

If you check your policy you should be covered for dental (assuming he hasn't had problems in the past) but be sure you take him every year for a check including having his teeth and mouth checked, as if you don't under the terms and conditions you wouldn't be paid out on dental, the proviso for dental cover is that you have regular yearly checks. Just a warning on that one too.

5. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

Sorry bit :confused: did you only take out the cover on the 25/09 and he had already had his tummy troubles before this?

If so, then - nope, it won't be covered as it's a pre-existing condition

Maisie (typically!) got ill 2 days :eek: before the exclusion period on her insurance ran out (when I got her!!) and it's now excluded unfortunately

6. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

That is standard with any insurance policy/company too whoever you go with
    unfortunately.

7. Buttons1

Buttons1 PetForums VIP

I am having that exact same problem with Petplan. Dylan was neutered and got 4 weeks free insurance but got diarreoh 2 days before the first 14 days were over so we are now having to pay his ongoing bills for recurring diarreoh. Already £250 :(

I'm pretty sure they said he is only exempt for 12 months though. Maybe with something as common as diarreoh they are bit more lenient. May be worth checking.

8. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

It is ones like dire-rear that are very frustrating as an upset tum (caused by the little monkey eating something she shouldn't have done :eek:) is not going to be the cause of say another upset tum

I certainly would challenge it after after a suitable time period had elapsed if needed

9. Buttons1

Buttons1 PetForums VIP

I asked them if I could put them all through as separate claims as they were probably caused by isolated incidents (different people feeding different things) but they said the first bout probably triggered the rest as they were so close together. I don't really agree.

They said I could put them through separately if I got a letter from my vet clearly stating that he didn't see it as something ongoing. I might see if he will consider it. He has diarreoh at the moment and I'm very reluctant to take him in, even if it persists, which is a horrible feeling as before I found out they wouldn't pay out I took him in to be checked every time he had it. It's just so expensive though.

10. ScruffyCat

I have just called them to clarify what is meant by the terms and the woman I spoke to said he is not covered for vom and diarrhoea unless the vet can prove that it is a separate incident from the one he had on the 25th which was before the policy started. The woman I spoke to went on to say as vom and diarrhoea is quite broad spectrum and can be the symptoms of many other illness they bare this in mind and get clarification from the vet.

As scruff had a whole array of tests and these showed nothing the vet concluded that it was a gastro bug that he has picked up from somewhere poss another cat. Scruff is fine now and am booking him in for is mid year check up with the vet so they will see that also.

Yes as the policy is fairly new he is not covered for illness until next week as it's 14 days from the policy start date but injury cover is immediate.
    Dental is covered subject to yearly dental check ups

#10 ScruffyCat, Oct 5, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  11. CharlieChaplin

CharlieChaplin PetForums VIP

Ahhh the loop holes - the burden of any contract. The way I understand it from my experience with PP was:

Anything relating to an illness prior to the cover starting, would not be covered for under insurance.

My two suffered with conjunctivitis at the shelter a lot. Therefore with my cover anything conjunctivitis related, even any eye issues which arise that could be linked to conjunctivitis, would not be covered. However - if in a years time (after the policy was taken out), they have been symptom free then I can get it covered under the policy. I think for this I need to have a vets letter to the company.

So if mine developed some horrendous illness which could be down to complications from conjunctivitis then I am not covered. But if say they lost an eye from fighting they would be covered as that is not related to conjunctivitis.

12. smiler84

smiler84 PetForums VIP

Unfortunately this is the case with all pet insurance (and human health insurance too generally).

13. ellsbells0123

ellsbells0123 PetForums VIP

I was told by petplan and co op insurance that any tummy issues would be cover as long as there is a 3 months period in between.

14. ScruffyCat

When I was researching insurance companies and plans co-op and petplan are underwritten by the same company so a lot of their policies seemed to be the same. Co-op was slightly cheaper and offered plans that covered smaller amounts with a lower excess, but what is actually covered appears to be the same.

Some insurance companies don't cover dental or tummy upset which is odd to be as these are the most common issues for cats. Mind you, it does make sense from their point of view I guess but no good for ours! A valuable lesion in always reading the small print!

15. ellsbells0123

ellsbells0123 PetForums VIP

I change mine from pet plan to coop as pet plan are to expensive! They wanted £70 per month for my 3 and coop are £44 per month. I asked about tummy upset and was told that all tummy complaints would be covered as long as there is a 3 month period between and I have no restrictions on my policy. They have lifetime policy, £70 excess and £5000 per year condition, per year, per cat. They are both underwritten by the same company and they also have dental cover with yearly checks.

16. AlbertRoss

AlbertRoss PetForums VIP

I really wish people wouldn't offer 4 weeks 'free' insurance. I've lost count of the number of cases, just like yours, where people don't realise that the 4 week free policy and ANYTHING that follows are 2 entirely separate things. Rather than being a benefit to the new owner it becomes an expensive liability.

17. Buttons1

Buttons1 PetForums VIP

I totally agree, it's really annoying.

The worst thing is that we already had insurance for him, we made sure it was active the day he arrived home with us, but we switched as soon as we got the petplan insurance as it sounded a much better plan. I wish we'd just stuck with the original one now.

18. Wesley1

Wesley1 PetForums Junior

My rescue cat had a nasty ear infection whilst in her fosterers (untreated until I had her) any ear related problems are now not covered by pet plan but they said if she has no problems within 2 years it would be wiped from the policy

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice