Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

PetPlan Monthly costs?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by AFKMatrix, Mar 24, 2017.

1. AFKMatrix

AFKMatrix PetForums Member

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if I could ask those of you with 2 MC's and that also have Petplan insurance what monthly amount your paying? Also if your monthly payment has gone up every year?

So I know Petplan claim they don't raise prices but I have had a rise in price every year for 4 years!!

My monthly cost started at £45 and is now up to £60 which is an increase of £8 per month from last year!! I am seriously considering switching providers. My only concern is that Shadow has Calicivirus and has had teeth extracted due to this, and if I swap provider this pre-existing condition won't be covered!

I am in a right dilemma on what to do.

2. huckybuck

huckybuck Feline Forum Fashionista

All mine are with Pet Plan.
    And yes it has gone up every year.
    Huck and Holly's is combined multipet. It costs me £80.25 a month. Holly is coming up to 8 and Huck 9. They were originally on the super cat plan.
    Little H and Grace are separate (not sure why) I'm not sure they offer multipet any longer though I may be mistaken.
    Grace is £25.02 a month.
    Little H is £33.55

They have gone up every year by 1 or 2 pounds a month usually and I am concerned about how much it is all costing. However I really want to stay with PP but I may make a phone call and threaten to leave and see if I can try to negotiate a discount.

I do think it's unfair that neutered, indoor cats are not given any sort of discount.

AFKMatrix likes this.
  3. AFKMatrix

Thanks @huckybuck for the reply. My boys are 3 now and I dread to think what it will be when they get to 8/9 :eek: I too think I am going to phone up and see if anything can be done because at this rate I'll be hitting £100 a month soon.

A discount for indoor neutered cats would be very much appreciated!

huckybuck likes this.
  4. Cookieandme

Cookieandme PetForums VIP

My 3 are with petplan about £14-15 pounds each per month and yes my premiums go up every year.

5. BritishBilbo

BritishBilbo I work with cats + I live with cats. I like cats.

My three (not mc's) are around £35 a month on the middle plan 4 life and that's with 20% veterinary discount. Harley the oriental costs £3 more than the others a month.

6. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

Remember that insurance costs do usually vary a bit with postcode too.

huckybuck likes this.
  7. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Administrator
    Staff Member

I have 2 dogs and a cat with Pet Plan and am finding the premiums are not going up too much but the excesses are. For my 13yr old dog the excess is now £120 +20% of the final bill, similar rate for the cat who is 17. I probably won't renew the cat insurance next time as with the money I save I could pay for whatever treatment would be appropriate, I wouldn't put her through major surgery at her age.

8. Temporally_Loopy

Temporally_Loopy PetForums Member

Why is it that MCs seem to be more expensive to insure than other breeds. Bertie is on the most expensive "for life" policy which allows for up to £12,000 per year or cover. It currently costs me c. £22 per month.

huckybuck likes this.
  9. huckybuck

huckybuck Feline Forum Fashionista

That's what mine are on. I'm horrified that postcode could add as much as 10-15 £ a month extra.

10. Temporally_Loopy

Temporally_Loopy PetForums Member

Sorry to confuse matters but Bertie is a ragdoll not an MC. Even so, it is strange if MCs are more as surely they are both large sturdy breeds and are kept as indoor cats?

huckybuck likes this.
  11. AFKMatrix

I'm wondering if it might have something to do with the heart issues they can have, but it's only a guess. I should have mentioned that my boys are on the middle for life plan (£7000 a year), so it is a little concerning that huckybuck is on the most expensive one and is only £20 ahead of me but her MC's are 8/9! I'll be at that level in 2-3 years if it keeps going up like it is :Bawling:Banghead

huckybuck likes this.
  12. urbantigers

urbantigers PetForums VIP

Ive just received Mosi's renewal from petplan and its gone up by about £4 a month :eek: Not read the small print as it only arrived a couple of days ago. It's now over £27 a month. He's an 11 year old male Somali. I pay the same for Kito (2 year old Somali), or at least I did. Not looking forward to his renewal in a couple of months. I've never claimed for either of them.

13. bluecordelia

bluecordelia Footy

I know this is petplan but Blue is slightly more expensive but both cats are under £10 a month. This is LV and I went for it because of the Defacto rating. I also have car and life cover with them

huckybuck likes this.
  14. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Meeko has been with PP since he was 14 weeks old,now 7years old.
    5 years of his insurance has seen well over £10,000 in claims for blood tests/referral/scans/xray and biopsy for IBD alone.
    Annual premium has only risen by around £8 a month since his first premium which was £12. and is now £20, well worth it as far as I'm concerned.

As for cheaper if your cat is "indoor" how do you prove that claim and what would happen if it "escaped" and was injured would the insurance still cover it ?
    I think the "post code" difference reflects vet costs in that area so not as strange as you might think.

bluecordelia and huckybuck like this.
  15. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

That's a pretty hefty percentage. I don't insure my cats but I do insure my dog and his only went up by about £1/month at last renewal. I'd made a claim too but he is only two years old so age was on our side. Breed wise it works on statistics, not just what a breed may be prone to but also the cost of treatment for those conditions. I do also think there's a certain amount of 'what the market will bear' comes into play. They may say postcode makes a difference because vet fees differ by area - well yes to an extent though I haven't found that much difference but then vets can charge that bit more in affluent areas where owners will have deeper pockets.

16. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

The easiest way for them to do it would be to exclude accident cover. I think most owners of indoor cats would be happy with taking that level of risk themselves.

17. Cazzer

Cazzer PetForums VIP

All of my NFC's are with petplan. They were more expensive for Queenie as she is a coonie. I went with John Lewis for her (in hindsight I should of gone with PP for her, as the only thing she has wrong is dental issues which JL won't cover). GInger the justa is with Sainsburys his renewal has jumped £10 this year alone to £45.26. He's too old at 14 to now to get a covered for life policy, not sure what to do.

#17 Cazzer, Mar 25, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  18. Cazzer

Cazzer PetForums VIP

actually just cancelled the policy, going to put that money into a savings pot for him

19. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Do you mean "illness only" then ? as accidents can happen indoors too.

20. Forester

Forester trained by Dylan

I'm with PP and pay £16.43 per month for a 4 yr old neutered male DSH. Covered for life up to £4000. I have claimed many,many times as Dylan has IBD 3 times over but the premium has usually only risen by approx. £ 2 per year.. My claims for last year came to £3,900 . I am so glad that I chose to go with PP. They have never quibbled about anything although did take time to pay out on one claim. That was my own fault as I filled in some dates which my vet had left out , leading them to think I was claiming for a new condition. Choosing to go with PP has given me peace of mind and I would recommend them to anyone.

bluecordelia and huckybuck like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice