Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Petplan insurance

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Hannana, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Hannana

Hannana PetForums Newbie

Hi :001_smile: After doing a bit of research around the minefielf of cat insurance, i'm thinking of getting the little beasts insured with petplan. I'm just curious about whether most people tend to go with the budget or the supercat cover plans (both lifetime). I can see that the main difference is the yearly payout max of £4000 or £12,000 but can't decide which to go for. Clearly the higher amount would be better but having been lucky enough not to have had any major vet bills before, i'm struggling to work out whether £4000 a year will be sufficient... :confused:

I know this is something you can just never predict but it would be useful to hear some experienced cat-owner opinions.

2. welshjet

welshjet PetForums VIP

Hiya, we got lifetime but i think that there is one in. between think its for 6k which is what we got

3. gloworm*mushroom

gloworm*mushroom PetForums VIP

I have the 6k one too, sounds awful but I got the one that refunds you the purchase price if your cat dies before 10 years?

4. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Me too.I have just received my renewal for the next year and it has "only" gone up by £1 a month was expecting it to be worse.

5. Hannana

Hannana PetForums Newbie

Oh i didn't get offered a 6k one, just the 4k or 12k lifetime covers which were quoted at £18 or £30 per month for both cats. It's quite a big price difference but i don't know how likely it would be for the bills to exceed 4K. Or maybe i should just look at a different provider... I want to start letting them outside once they'rre insured but i'm finding it so hard to decide it'll never get done at this rate! So will the quotes i've been given go up each year?

6. gloworm*mushroom

How odd, mine is £24 for both cats, right in the middle like the policy is supposed to be. Wonder if theyve stopped it :S

7. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Did you take out insurance on line or by phone?.When I did an online "quote" I was not offered the £6000 per year plan.I phoned for clarification on one or two details and was advised then that there was another level(£6000 per year)

8. Hannana

Hannana PetForums Newbie

Ah ok so if i phone them maybe they'll offer me the 6k one. So have you all generally been happy with petplan?

9. gloworm*mushroom

Over the phone as the internet didnt pick up my address. I do think the £6000 one was on the net, but I couldnt be certain.

10. welshjet

welshjet PetForums VIP

Snap! We also did ours by phone, we also got asked about "purchase price" but i said ours was a donation. Without digging out the direct debit, we pay no more than £14 per month for one cat, hes 2.8 yrs moggie, and an indoor cat x

11. Sacremist

Sacremist Mum to 2 cats and a dog

I have the 6k policy but mine is a multicat policy so I get a discount which works out about £2 per cat less. I pay £16 per month per cat under 10 years old.

12. gloworm*mushroom

I am happy with petplan. I didnt get my second cat discount though.... I may have to chase that up, damn 0845 numbers!

13. welshjet

welshjet PetForums VIP

luckily havent had to contact them, touch wood (my head) but reviews i read were quite positive

14. gloworm*mushroom

I filed a claim earlier this year for some emergency vet treatment, bill paid, no worries.

15. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Touch wood,fingers crossed and all such superstitous stuff,I have not had to test them :D.I have only ever heard positive reports about them though.

16. Hannana

Hannana PetForums Newbie

How old are your cats? My quote for the 12k cover was £30 for a 4year old and 6 year old... willl this go up year by year as they get older?

17. Sacremist

Sacremist Mum to 2 cats and a dog

My cats are aged 13, 11, 10, 9, 8 and 7. Remember I have the 6k policy only. I think my older cats works out around £20 per month. These are guesses based on the loss of two of my cats recently because I have a multicat policy, I pay one lump sum. However, when I lost Cara in January my policy went down by £20. She was nearly 13. I lost Saskia in October aged only 6 and my policy reduced by £16.

To be honest, I am probably paying more because unfortunately I've had a few expensive claims in the last few years totalling something in the region of £7000 for four cats with four different illnesses. They do put up your premium when you claim.

18. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

My policy for Meeko 12month old Ragdoll is £13:27 per month (renewal cost)£6000 ,life cover.From what i have learned on here it is not possible to compare policy costs as so much is taken in to consideration by the company.Town,breed ,age ,indoor/outdoor ect.

19. welshjet

welshjet PetForums VIP

Thars good to know, :).

Did you have to pay upfront first or were they happy to deal with your vet directly?

20. Lumboo

Lumboo PetForums VIP

My quote from Pet Plan for two moggies aged 9 weeks was £51.50 per month on their 6k Lifetime cover.

I have decided to go with Vets Medicover, who have a 10k Vets fees per year lifetime plan for £14.00 per cat regardless of age and location (providing the policy is initially taken out before the age of 8). The excess is £80 and dental treatment is covered as well, providing you have done an annual check up. (same as Pet Plan)

They pay the vet directly, but if your vet isn't happy with this, then they will pay you. The only difference is that you call for an authorisation number before treatment (except in emergency where treatment is given first). As this is no different to my buildings insurance policy I am happy to go with them. I did, just as a precaution call the two vets practices I am trying to choose from to ask if they were happy to be paid directly by insurers and both were.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice