Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Petition to ban bee killing pesticides.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ForestWomble, Jan 21, 2021.

1. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

2. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Signed.

ForestWomble likes this.
  3. HarlequinCat

HarlequinCat PetForums VIP

Signed also

ForestWomble likes this.
  4. rona

rona Still missing my boys

It is still used across the EU, in the same way it will be used here.
    I'm sure I put links on the other day to prove this

this
    Not exactly banned by the EU as it was used in various countries last year including Belgium and France

https://braveneweurope.com/rfi-france-moves-to-ease-pesticide-ban-to-save-sugar-beet-farmers

Also, as far as I can tell, it's only on one crop......Sugar Beet

also
    https://deframedia.blog.gov.uk/2021...ntrols-for-emergency-pesticide-authorisation/

"There have been reports this morning in the Guardian and Independent of the emergency authorisation of a neonicotinoid seed treatment for the limited use only on the 2021 sugar beet crop.

Emerging sugar beet seedlings are vulnerable to predation by aphids which have the potential to spread beet yellows virus. Sugar beet crops have been severely affected and 2020 yields are forecast to be down by 20-25% on previous years.

The neonicotinoid Syngenta’s Cruiser SB will provide emergency protection while the beet industry develops alternative solutions. Its exceptional use will be strictly controlled.

Conditions of the authorisation include reduced application rate as well as a prohibition on any flowering crop being planted in the same field where the product has been used within 22 months of sugar beet and a prohibition on oilseed rape being planted with 32 months of sugar beet.

The coverage of this news does not reflect the fact that under EU legislation, member states may also grant emergency authorisations in exceptional circumstances.

10 EU countries including Belgium, Denmark and Spain - most EU countries with significant sugar production - have granted emergency authorisations for neonicotinoid seed treatments following the EU-wide ban - backed by the UK – coming into force.

The UK’s approach to the use of emergency authorisations has therefore not changed as a result of the UK’s exit from the EU.

A Defra spokesperson said:

“Emergency authorisations for pesticides are only granted in exceptional circumstances where diseases or pests cannot be controlled by any other reasonable means. Emergency authorisations are used by countries across Europe.

“Pesticides can only be used where we judge there to be no harm to human health and animal health and no unacceptable risks to the environment. The temporary use of this product is strictly limited to a non-flowering crop and will be tightly controlled to minimise any potential risk to pollinators.”

This exceptional use of Syngenta’s Cruiser SB will be strictly controlled and is for the 2021 sugar beet crop in England only. The duration of authorisation is strictly limited to the period required to allow supply of the product.

Protecting pollinators is a priority for this Government, and the UK is a world leader in developing greener farming practises and upholds the highest standards of environmental and health protection."

#4 rona, Jan 21, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
  5. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

well, as sugar beet is only used to produce animal feed Im fine with more bees and less farmed animals!
    :D

(signed...obvi);)

ForestWomble likes this.
  6. ForestWomble

Thank you everyone.

Oh I hadn't seen that. Thank you.

7. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

No it isnt! Sugar beet produces sugar! The UK has a huge sugar industry.

The pulp is a by-product used in animal feeds.

We should care about this industry as it employs close to 10,000 people.

HarlequinCat, ForestWomble and rona like this.
  8. rona

[QUOTE="ForestWomble, post: 1065723551,

Oh I hadn't seen that. Thank you.[/QUOTE]

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the bees, I just despair the lack of actual facts.
    This is the wrong fight for the right reason

9. ForestWomble

I understand. I should of checked first really.

rona likes this.
  10. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

This it the problem with petitions - people just sign them without truly understanding the facts and the implications.

rona and ForestWomble like this.
  11. ForestWomble

12. rona

50% of our sugar is home grown

HarlequinCat and ForestWomble like this.
  13. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

erm...still not seeing the problem. Pretty sure that most of us eat way more sugar then we really should so...

more bees and less farmed animals....and sugar related obesity!:Hilarious

14. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

You dont see a problem with putting thousands out of work? Nor the impact on the economy?

Sugar beet has little to do with animal feeds - its certainly NOT grown for animal consumption. As i stated, the pulp is simply a by-product.

You clearly havent a clue about farming. You certainly havent a clue about this industry. Sugar beet isnt even a flowering crop!

I wonder how many people are even aware that all Silver Spoon products are UK produced and from sugar beet? The ignorance of the general public is simply amazing sometimes.

rona likes this.
  15. rona

Plus it's only allowed as a seed coating

16. HarlequinCat

HarlequinCat PetForums VIP

Thats why this sort of discussion on a forum is interesting. People can only live and learn. I'm sure there are some things you would be ignorant of, no one is completely knowledgeable about everything.

I have thought sugar crops would be grown in tropical climates, like bananas etc. I have seen nothing in my day to day life that would contradict this as I dont have a farming background. Nor have I seen on packets of sugar "grown in the UK". I now know because of this forum and stand corrected!

rona and ForestWomble like this.
  17. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Then they shouldnt state things as facts.

18. You did put it in the Brexit thread after this was raised there by another member.

rona likes this.
  19. rona

I wasn't actually refering to you, but Greenpeace, who I generally support, have told likes and left out facts.
    I certainly don't expect people to know everything, but honestly, I ve seen this so much in petitions, money raising for various causes and news papers
    , I always try to dig deeper and find the truth. It's hard though, everyone has an agenda..........

20. ForestWomble

Yep, everyone has agendas.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice