Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pet sitters - what kind of insurance do I need ?

Discussion in 'Dog Services' started by Dogpsycho, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Dogpsycho

Dogpsycho PetForums Newbie

I live alone, except for my 2 "special needs" dogs that aren't suitable for kennels/boarding. Should/when/if I need to be "hospitalised", pet sitters appear to be the answer (when I find a suitable one).

What, if any, insurance would cover the cost of the sitters ? Pet insurance ? House contents insurance ? Some other ? Can anyone help please ?

Thanks. :confused:

#1 Dogpsycho, Sep 11, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  2. deeks87

deeks87 PetForums Newbie

I'm afraid I can't be of any help but would be interested to know this myself! :)

3. Prowl

Prowl Guest

A good pet sitter should cover themselves.

Cliverton is a pretty good one but their are a few others.

All though many do, pet sitters and dog walkers do not need to be CRB checked I contacted the direct gov website and asked if I needed one as I walk dogs and explained I would be gaining access to some clients houses while they werent their.

Avoid anyone who believes in the following methods -

Amachin Bonding / Jan Fennel
    Cesar Milan
    Dominance
    Pack Theory

4. Sally Hayward

Sally Hayward PetForums Member

Most pet insurance policies include boarding fees which will pay the costs of looking after your pet if you are hospitalised.

While some of these will only pay for your pets to be boarded in kennels many policies have now extended this section to include care provided other than in boarding kennels, either by a professional pet carer or some policies are happy to pay anyone who doesn't normally live with you.

You need to read the terms of the boarding fees section carefully before you choose a policy. Most of them will only pay if you are in hospital for at least 4 days. Some of them restrict the benefit to cover emergency hospitalisation only whereas others will pay for any hospitalisation which does not relate to an illness you had prior to taking out the policy.

5. Doggy Chums

Doggy Chums PetForums Junior

Clivertons are who we use. Not bad price wise :) Your liability is what you want it to be, but we have negligence, public liability and employees liability

6. Dogpsycho

Thanks for all the responses.

I've found LOTS of companies/brokers/pet sitters/owners/breeders etc. who offer insurance FOR pet sitters themselves (public liability,etc), but NONE that offer a policy to PAY the sitters !

Neither does anyone appear to know the existence of such a policy, either. The closest I've come is companies that offer to pay boarding fees, which isn't (a) suitable, (b) appropriate & (c) what I want.

Looks like I'll just have to save my own money & hope that I've got enough to pay the sitters should/when/if the time comes for me to go into hospital.

I'm surprised, disappointed & saddened. :(

7. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Try phoning a few pet insurances. Surely some must cover at least part of the cost!

Tesco and Directline pay for your dog to go to kennels, so they are worth approaching

#7 rona, Sep 14, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  8. Hardwick Hounds

Hardwick Hounds PetForums Senior

I think the other posters think you are asking about insurance a pet sitter should have as a business. Not, to cover the fees for one if you need to use one in an emergency.

Have you contacted PetPlan? I think they offer the most comprehensive insurance for pet owners. Pets at Home also offer pet insurance, since about 2011, so it would be worth giving them a ring too.

What do you mean by a pet sitter? Do you mean someone who visits your dog but they stay in your own home, or someone who boards dogs in their home, ie a home boarder? Because home boarders still have to have a boarding license so I don't see why they wouldn't be covered under 'kenneling fees'.

I think a lot of home boarders get booked up in advance and I'm not sure they can take dogs on immediately in emergencies, it would be worth contacting one with that question so you are prepared.

Do you have family or friends who could look after the dog in emergencies?

9. Dogpsycho

Thanks for all the comments.

I've approached PetPlan (and many other companies) and spoken to dozens of people associated with dogs (breeders, dogwalkers, vets, insurance companies, insurance brokers & pet sitting agencies, to name but a few) and, having failed to find what I want/may need, have registered with Animal Aunts, who are prepared to offer a sitter, in my home (for a minimum of 20 hours each day) in an emergency.

I was hoping to be able to find someone I could introduce to the dogs, as, being blind and/or VERY nervous, if they don't feel "safe", don't eat/drink, become incontinent, etc & I wanted to create a relationship between all parties, before needing the help. Doesn't look like that's going to happen, either. :nonod:

My dog walker has a family and, therefore, isn't able to "move in" , should the need arise, so I'm just creating biographies of the dogs & writing a list of commands/instructions/routines to inform whoever turns up.

Thanks again for all your comments :smile5:

10. RebeccaWilliams

RebeccaWilliams PetForums Newbie

Yeah that's true : A good pet sitter should cover themselves. There are a few companies out there which specialize in pet sitters. Find one from your area. In calgary, loveyourpet is the one which i know.

11. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

I was struggling to understand your requirements, until your later posts.

We have pet sitters that will move in and stay within your home be it for holidays, business trips or hospitalisation.

Our self employed sitters have full liability insurance, registration, a CRB check and excellent references, but we are busy all year round and could not guarantee availability without knowing your dates.

This would prove impossible since nobody knows when they may require hospitalisation, but a preliminary visit is essential in order that they would take instruction from you, the opportunity to meet both their client and dogs before both parties confirmed that they are happy to proceed.

Unfortunately, I cannot advise with regard to your insurance, but will do a little research and come back to you if one can be found ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice