Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pet shops

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Kip, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Kip

Kip PetForums Junior

Some of these are horendous. I drove past one where there was a fish tank in the window, about 2ft long. In it was the largest fish I had ever seen. It's head and tail were almost touching the ends of the tank and it couldn't move. I thought it was a temporary arrangement but it was still there when I passed a week later. The next time I passed it had gone, whether inside or whether someone had reported it I don't know. I once went to a garden centre where they kept small animals and birds to sell. The birds were contained in a largish cage but with no room to fly about so they just sat on perches. My granddaughter who is doing a course at University on Animal Conservation and Biodiversity needed to find some work experience so she asked a pet shop if she could work there voluntarily. They said yes and she started there, they showed her around and there was a lizard type animal in a glass case and it kept throwing itself against the glass trying to get out. The owner of the shop took no notice so she walked out and never went back. She then went to work voluntarily at a vets where she helped in the operations room even if it was only holding the animal while it was injected, watching the operations and cleaning up the blood afterwards. She enjoyed it. I don't know if there are any inspections of pet shops. Maybe the RSPCA does it.

2. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

aw I hate pet shops and the way they treat living animals like stock :(

3. Miss.PuddyCat

Miss.PuddyCat PetForums VIP

Theres good and bad pet shops. The one in my town that sells live animals is bad the one a few towns over that sells live animals isnt bad.

4. smudgiesmummy

smudgiesmummy PetForums VIP

i wish people would understand that because there is bad pet shops doesnt mean that there are no good ones around

i know p.a.h have a crap reputation but just remember NOT all pet shopa are the same

5. smudgiesmummy

petshops get a yearly inspection from i think environmental health ... but they def or should have one yearly

6. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

*waves* thank you!

my family have owned a pet shop for the last 15years, and i would like to think we are definiitely a good pet shop. of course, we do not sell animals as we dont really agree with it. :D we dont even sell anything made my pedigree(except gravybones, cant get rid unfortunately lol)/bakers etc. only good healthy food and treats. :thumbup:

7. smudgiesmummy

i worked in a family run (not my family )one from 1994 till 2007 and they do sell animals but they know what they are talking about and treat the animals as pets till they are sold

a lot of people say pet shops dont have the correct enviroment for the animals but they do get measures when they are checked out

at the end of the day its up to the owner if they sell animals or not they have the right to do so

my ex boss sells most small animals in there, including reptiles and the odd kittens....

and no animal is sold to under 18 at all unless the parent is with them

my ex boss as over 40 years experience so she does know what she is talking about

8. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

indeed each to their own. i have been in pet shops that sell animals under what seems to be fairly good conditions. its just not for us :)

9. Chillinator

Chillinator Guest

Sadly, the RPSCA doesn't give a rat's ass about fish, and to be perfectly honest; it would be best if they kept their noses out of aquatics, as it is a bit of a science when you think about it! If they started to take on experienced fishkeepers as inspectors, then there would be no complaints.

Fishkeeping is always surrounded by myths which are constantly professed by ignorant individuals, many of them exist in pet shops. :rolleyes:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice