Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pet shop Puppies

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by SEVEN_PETS, Aug 14, 2009.

1. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

Hiya

I am ashamed to say that I worked in a pet shop that sold puppies and kittens a few years ago, and I left because I couldn't stand it anymore. They were from puppy farms, and were shipped over from Ireland on lorries, and I saw one of these lorries. Tiny cages full of puppies, dirty, smelly with no ventilation at all. Many of the puppies and kittens had to be washed before sale because they were coated with their own poo and wee.

Now, I don't know how people can be so naive or stupid to go into a pet shop and just buy a puppy or kitten. How they can want a dog that has been born into a dirty, confined environment with only its mother and siblings for company and hardly any/no human contact at all. Then the mother is taken from them early, and they are put into tiny cages and shipped hundreds of miles to a pet shop, where they will probably have the cleanest cages and nicest food they've ever had (so that customers don't complain about their living conditions). And people want animals that have suffered this. WHY?!?!?!? Just because they can't be BOTHERED to get a puppy from a reputable breeder or rescue and they can't be BOTHERED to wait on a waiting list, and they can't be BOTHERED to spend a bit more money to have the parents of the puppy health-tested.

Why are people so clueless? Why are people supporting this trade?

Because these people are LAZY!!!!

2. HighPr00

HighPr00 Banned

There's also the people that aren't fit to own a dog, no reputable breeder would home a puppy with them so their only option is to buy from a pet shop or puppy farm.

3. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

They are actually more expensive than breeders as well, there are people who cant be bothered but then you have the people who buy on a whim go into a petshop for rabbit food and come out with a puppy.

4. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

If im honest i belive people do it because they wont be questioned by any one..They will be sold the puppy no matter what..
    No house checks, no nothing! :mad: :mad:

5. puppy

puppy PetForums Junior

I almost had a job at a pet shop that sells puppies and kittens. I really wanted the job too, but was a little too late. When I told my boyfriend that the shop I just filled out an application for sells dogs, he got a shocked look on his face, like "you're going to work there?!" But I just want, no need, a job. Maybe its for the best. It would have been too tempting to point people to the nearest shelter or recommend a breeder or rescue group for the breed they want. :blushing:

6. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

my sister and i walked into a petshop (why am i still posting i thought i was leaving lol) a month after woody died to get dante a bone. We walked in and saw two springer spaniel puppies in a cage. Now i know you shouldn't buy a puppy from a pet shop. But anyhows...we went and asked the pet shop dude how old they were his answer '9 weeks'. I was shocked. They were no way 9 week old babies, much much smaller and younger.

how can people sell these dogs and not know a thing about them? I almost wanted to buy one when we left but my knowledge of puppy farmers and stuff stopped me.

7. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

I belive its very common in shops to lie about puppy ages..Making them older when there to young because they dont want to admitt they are to young to be away from mum.
    and making them younger when in the hope people will buy them because they think there still young!

I could never walk into a pet shop selling puppies it would break my heart leaving them there..But there is no way in hell i would line the pocketes of such a sick and evil trade.

8. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

There is a few around here selling them..i think its awful..what happens to these dogs when the pet shop shuts on a Sunday...some of these dogs will have problems when they get older

juliex

9. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

People do not realise that is why.

The only way to combat this is for ALL breeders to apply for a licence from the council and follow up visits to be made. When you buy your pup you should be given a certificate, which is producable upon request.

This would ensure conditions are maintained and the industry is regulated.

Better idea....... everybody stop breeding for a time, so we can address the current issue!

10. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

But not all breeders sell there puppies to shops..So this wouldnt help the fact that the back yard breeders and puppy farmers do. Also by having a licence it does not ensure the puppies are brought up in the right way. All it does is basically tell you how many litters you can have a year..and might i add most of the responisble breeders have less litters than the licence allows ;)

11. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Some people are lazy and it's extremely easy to buy a pup from a shop.

However buying a puppy from a reputable breeder can be a minefield especially if people don't know what they are looking for, and what is a good breeder for one person may well be a byb for another.

For example someone on a different thread suggested that pups that are KC registered will be from good breeders and the KC can suggest reputable breeders,if only!
    The KC is first and foremost a registry,they can't and don't recommend breeders,however if it's a specific breed that people are looking for then I would always suggest they contact the breed clubs for that breed.

Education and research is very very important.

12. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

people always come into my parents shop asking for puppies. my dad just looks at them like they are idiots and in a trying to be nice way directs them towards somewhere more suitable to get one, such as a rescue centre or sometimes he just tells them they shouldnt be getting a dog if thats where they think you should get one.

however once this woman came in and the conversation went as follows

woman: got any pets?
    dad: no we dont sell animals, but what is it you are looking for and maybe i can point u in the right direction?
    woman: dunno just a pet. maybe a dog. or a rabbit or something
    dad: you really havent thought about this at all have you? you cant just decide to "get a pet".
    woman: how? a pets a pet.
    dad: :eek:

stupid woman, i think my dad told her where to go lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice