Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pet shop feeding advice, your opinion!

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Mum to Missy, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Mum to Missy

Mum to Missy PetForums VIP

I was in the local pet shop this afternoon stocking up on what fussy knicker will and wont eat, well what she will eat actually as to stock up on what she wont eat would be silly :p and the shop assistant got chatting about cat food and the best is Royal Canin dry and how I should try it for Missy and when I said I didn't feed dry he asked why so I told him (I actually sounded like I knew what I was on about, THANKS GUYS :thumbup:) and about different foods etc.etc. and he told me a few things I didn't know and just wondered if they were true or seeing as the shop was wall to wall RC dry was he just trying to flog me some.

a) cats have no sense of taste, they just go by what a food smells like!
    b) you shouldn't chop and change their diet as it's bad for them!
    c) you shouldn't feed wet and dry at the same time as they digest it at different rates, wet in the morning and dry at night is fine. (something to do with the lining of their stomachs)
    d) if feed enough dry they will eventually drink water!
    e) when you've found a food and flavour your cat likes stick to it and they will always eat it! (but had no explanation as to why Missy suddenly wont eat her usual tin stuff!)
    f) the RC for fussy feeders is guaranteed to be eaten as they can't resist the smell but wouldn't tell me what meat was in it as it wasn't important it was the smell that counts!

I know that the smell of the food is important to Missy it's the first thing she does and if she like it she's all over me like a rash and if she doesn't a rocket up her rear end wouldn't shift her :rolleyes:

I just wondered what your thoughts are on this?

2. Satori

Satori One of Life's Winners.

Here's my tuppence.

#2 Satori, Sep 23, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  3. wicket

wicket PetForums VIP

Next time just laugh - if you have been on this forum a while you will know more about nutrition than both the pet shop assistant and your vet - the only difference will be you will be willing to listen to them but they wont be willing to listen to you :)

4. Mum to Missy

Stop sitting on the fence Satori say what you mean :D reading between the lines I'm guessing you think his advice is crap! and isn't worth your tuppence :lol:

It's pretty much what I was thinking but as I didn't really know I thought I'd ask :D

5. CharlieChaplin

CharlieChaplin PetForums VIP

Wow this man should become a vet he is a pure fountain of knowledge :frown2:

I listen politely to shop assistants but never take their advice, they aren't trained to give it, They are trained to sell.

But one point he said is sort of important - smell is important to cats (as is to us). That's why people suggest putting some warm water on their cats food to bring the smell out to encourage them to eat.

6. Mum to Missy

Sounds good to me :) so it was a case of I've landed myself with a job lot of RC and can't shift it for love nor money

7. Satori

:lol:

Fwiw, Of all the stuff I have read on this, here's the one-pager that is IMHO the best.
    Feline Nutrition it is well worth a read if you have not yet seen it. Maybe he would willing to read it. These guys are given the script by their employers and might be interested to read a counter-view. You never know.

wicket likes this.
  8. Mum to Missy

If I hadn't have been properly informed by all you lovely PF people I would now be feeding Missy RC dry and believing I was doing the best for her :001_huh: he came across as very knowledgeable :frown2: I just wonder how many people fall for it :confused:

Good advice about adding warm water to Missys food, I always add cold but will try the warm to see if that makes a difference :)

#8 Mum to Missy, Sep 23, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  9. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I endorse Satori's succinctly worded sentiments! :D

Where on earth do these pet store employees/owners get their information about cats from?? :rolleyes: From what I can gather it seems based on a mix of 'old wives tales', long outdated theories, and catfood manufacturers marketing blurb. :rolleyes: The unsolicited junk information I have been given in the past by pet stores is beyond belief. :(

re: sense of taste - in humans approximately 80% of our enjoyment of the food we eat is based upon our sense of smell, not our sense of taste. Our sense of taste can in fact only distinguish 4 different types - sour, sweet, bitter and salt. Think of the hundreds of variations there are within each of those categories - the fact we recognise them is all due to our sense of smell, not our sense of taste.

Cats are very much the same as us - except their sense of smell is even more highly developed than ours, making it responsible for more like 90% of their enjoyment of their food. Their sense of taste is slightly less developed than that of humans. So yes cats certainly do have a sense of taste!!!

Re: digestion -- everything we eat is digested at different rates in the stomach, e.g. carbs are digested more quickly than protein. The digestion is equipped to cope superbly with this. The same applies to cats.

Your informant is perhaps thinking of the dubious "theory" behind the so-called "Hay Diet" where proteins were not to be eaten at the same meal as carbs, based on the belief that as they are digested at different rates the stomach could not cope. It's bunkum, with no scientific evidence.

10. Satori

Tell me about it! I suffer from a condition that means for a couple days, whenever I get a cold, I lose 100% of my sense of smell. When that happens, nothing can be tasted. Nothing. I could not tell water from wine. All of my cats when they show cold symptoms, I have noticed too, have a diminished appetite.

However they do have taste receptors and commonly sniff first, then lick before eating a new food. Of course they cannot taste sweet and I wonder if this is where some people get the idea that they can't taste at all? BBC NEWS | Science/Nature | Why cats don't go for sweet foods

11. wicket

wicket PetForums VIP

Thank you thats a great article - if it prints ok I feel a copy going into each of my kittens leaving binder.

Satori likes this.
  12. Mum to Missy

I'll have to read that properly when Missy isn't trying to tell you all that your wrong and that Sheba Lamb and Poultry is the best food out there :frown2:

I think that we can (well I can) sometimes forget the basics of enjoying food and your comments bring them home nicely, everything else is important of course but you can't forget the basics if it don't smell and taste good it ain't going to get eaten as Missy is testament to, she wont touch Lily's Kitchen but goes ape for Sheba Lamb and poultry :rolleyes:

13. bella2013

bella2013 PetForums VIP

ref cats not being able to taste sweet, if they don't taste sweet then what do they taste, if that makes sense, there must be some flavour there. im just curious as one of my mums cats go crazy for sweet cake and icing (steals it not given it). it could be a learnt behaviour I suppose?

sorry to but in on the thread

14. CoCoTrio

CoCoTrio PetForums VIP

deleted due to being nonsense fuelled by stupidity.

#14 CoCoTrio, Sep 23, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  15. Joy84

Joy84 PetForums VIP

Yeah, Phoebe's going for her booster on Saturday ...
    I'm already bracing myself for "THE TALK" :rolleyes:
    My vet is all about RC dry too :mad2:

16. cookiemom

cookiemom PetForums Senior

I wonder the same, maybe my cats don't have the 'defective' gene or are they indeed sensing something else? Its not just prepared food, I've read that cats like melon so tried as an experiment, melon was munched on voraciously and the rind chewed like it was a bone, not keen on apple, repulsed by banana but another sweet fruit medjool dates, the very expensive ones, cat nearly took my hand off trying to get at it, I hadn't even offered!

Maybe those 'various sugars' in catfoods are enough to set up sugar addiction who knows but it is very curious.

17. spid

spid PetForums VIP

I can only agree with Sartori and Chillminx - crap crap crap (oo, that felt goooood)

18. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

1 People who work in pet shops are shop assistants not trained nutritionists

2 I recently attended a Nutrition Seminar with Dr John Lowe BSc,PhD CBiol MSB RNutr who is a consultant nutritionist all over the world and has a vague understanding of the subject and he said

a) have a better sense of taste than dogs
    b) variety is the spice of life
    c) feeding raw with commercial, wet with dry is perfectly fine

the rest is just twaddle

19. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

If cats aren't attracted to 'sweet' why is antifreeze such a problem? I'd be really grateful if you could go back and get the answer from the genius shop assistant.

Editing to add that I'm also interested in why manufacturers spend money on flavour enhancers if cats have no sense of taste.

#19 havoc, Sep 24, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  20. Mum to Missy

I don't know is my answer, maybe the shop assistant can tell me ;)

Would you like to tell him or shall I :D

Well know you'll be an expert on RC as well, my shop assistant could turn out to be really useful after all ;)

I didn't know cats liked fruit :) I'll buy Missy nearly what ever it takes to make her eat but I may just draw the line at Medjool dates :lol:

:lol:

Me thinks he should stick at being a shop assistant or get his facts right :D

So the next time I go and get Missys food I can tell him his knowledge is a load of crap and twaddle :D nothing like blinding him with science :lol:

According to the shop assistant it's not flavour enhancers is smell enhancers :hand:

Because I seemed to know what I was talking about (again, thanks guys :D) he gave me little booklet all about RC and what foods they do and apparantly what research they have put into their foods, I haven't got round to reading it yet but could be 'interesting'

I know I'm taking this light heartedly now but it is serious, some people would take him for his word and probably end up with a poorly cat and wonder why, and if they can't find the money for treatment, well who knows :frown2:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice