Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pet Remedy

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by lullabydream, Mar 23, 2021.

1. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

OMG...

Thought it would be a good idea to use this. After reading your comments and it really more for my dogs just to make sure they are incredibly calm. So a far better choice than Feliway.

Read the leaflet and box and all it says is ' You will find the strength of the earthy herbal aroma lessens within 48 hours'

Wtf earthy herbal aroma. I literally thought I suddenly smelt of dog, started sniffing my clothes like mad. Then my bed sheets thinking I didn't smell this earlier. Then it twigged. Maybe an hour ago I plugged in the pet remedy diffuser as it came today.

I can see why you all complain now about valerian.

But why doesn't anyone or did I totally miss it that you have to put up with this over bearing stink for upto 48 hours. It really is to me a smell of infused dog, that some dog owners who probably don't have the cleanliest house or hygiene routines have. I have been in those houses through my jobs in the past and if people don't want to spend their time cleaning, we'll it's their prerogative I have nothing against it.

If I missed this though I do apologise, but if people are new to pet remedy I want to give this warning about the smell. As I think it's cruel not to, it would be similiar to knowing someone is going for colonoscopy and not warning them about the prep. That is pure cruelty as it's ghastly stuff you have to drink and a lot of it to clear those intestines.

Anyway apologises for posting the obvious I guess, but novice so much to learn! Thank you all for reading and commenting

2. Mrs Funkin

Mrs Funkin Human mother to Oscar

It smells a bit funny to me but I don't mind it too much...actually, thinking about it, I must be a bit immune to it now, as I put new ones in on Sunday and barely noticed.

Or I've had Covid and not noticed my sense of smell has gone funny...hmmm....

lymorelynn and lullabydream like this.
  3. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

I think it smells of cheesy feet, like mine were when I was pregnant, really rancid! I do feel moved to explain to visitors that it's not just general household filth that goes with sticky carpets.:eek:
    Yes, I've visited some pretty mucky houses durng my Health Visitng career, or maybe they were using Pet Remedy!
    It does calm the beasts though, and knocks my OH for six.;)

lullabydream likes this.
  4. lullabydream

@Mrs Funkin I have put a reminder in my phone about changing, but I don't know if I can suffer this again!
    OH said he couldn't smell it but he was complaining about bathroom smells earlier because I did think Covid. Let's hope the earlier ability to smell was a good sign

@SusieRainbow all the dogs sniffed the air like mad when they came in. Now just flat out in a more zonked fashion. I did remember about your OH and him being relaxed. Hopefully it works on me am a total insomniac and Ivy loves investigating her new surroundings at 3am!

Mrs Funkin likes this.
  5. lullabydream

OK I take it all back...

Anyone can put up with that horrendous, disgusting, vile smell for 2 out of 60 days.

This stuff is brilliant. Ivy was climbing all over me this morning at about 5am but no dog like yesterday came running up to her. They all still snoozed.

Before bed, her and Eevee had a dreamies session and that was sniffing head on. I couldn't get the picture. Is that a good sign in cats? She was purring.

6. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

It does smell awful doesn't it, I kept thinking one of the cats had pee'd somewhere :Hilarious

lullabydream likes this.
  7. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

I think I must be one of the lucky (??) few - I've suffered with anosmia (no sense of smell) all of my life so what is obnoxious to most is nothing to me ! I do get anxious sometimes (if Bertie has vomited / used the litter tray) that my home might smell of "cat" and have to ask visiting friends/relatives to let me know if the place smells :rolleyes: I can get quite anal about opening windows and airing the place.

Mind you in comes in useful sometimes - I always seem to be the one that gets asked to clear up other people's vomit :eek:

BarneyBobCat and lullabydream like this.
  8. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

:Hilarious:Hilarious:Hilarious
    Those who employ it get used to the smell to the extent they don't notice it anymore.
    I suspect some even get addicted to the aroma. Are you addicted to it Mrs F?:D

Mrs Funkin and lullabydream like this.
  9. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

My OH is!

lullabydream and SbanR like this.
  10. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

So has he started growing whiskers yet and purring?:D

lullabydream and SusieRainbow like this.
  11. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Oddly enough yes, though some might call it designer stubble and snoring.:D

12. lullabydream

My OH must be an addict then, don't know where or when he's been using the stuff but he can't smell a thing!

13. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

I don't really notice it now unless I bend down on the landing to plug something in, then I have that moment of "what is that" until it dawns on me.

It is an odd smell.

lullabydream likes this.
  14. Mrs Funkin

Mrs Funkin Human mother to Oscar

I really don’t mind it. I did catch a little blast of it earlier on the landing...I’ve known worse smells, that’s for sure!

lullabydream and SusieRainbow like this.
  15. huckybuck

huckybuck Cat Chat long lost friend

I actually really like the smell and I have a heightened sense too (can’t abide vanilla or strong perfume it makes me feel really nauseous),

I have been known to spray myself with it when we go to the vets and most of the time remember to apologise when we get there hurriedly explaining what it is!!

OH thinks it smells like “dirty pants”.

I wouldn’t know

16. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

Haha, you were the person I had in mind when I spoke of addicts:D

17. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

I would say stinky socks if I knew about such things.:oops:

lullabydream and huckybuck like this.
  18. lullabydream

Dirty pants! Hahahaha
    Does he mean your pants or his?

huckybuck likes this.
  19. JaimeandBree

JaimeandBree PetForums VIP

Would people recommend using this to calm cats in stressful situations? I have never used it but we are moving in a few weeks and I am keen to make the transition as stress free as possible for J&B. Not sure how keen I am on the new house stinking of dirty pants as soon as we move in though....:D

lullabydream likes this.
  20. Psygon

Psygon Yoshi Tonks! :-)

I think you would need to test it out first. I use pet remedy sprayed on a bandana to calm Ted, and it works quite well. But if I spray bedding or anything with it ck goes hyper rolling all over the bedding, going super wide eyed and then charging about like a bat out of hell :) it definitely has zero calming effect on him :D

lullabydream and JaimeandBree like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice