Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pet Plan Insurance

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Bethanjane22, Oct 9, 2020.

1. Bethanjane22

Bethanjane22 PetForums Senior

Just had my renewal through from Pet Plan for Luna & Nova’s insurance, and it’s increased by £100 this year! I’ve never made a claim in the 2 years I’ve had the girls, so can’t understand how it can increase by so much.

Has anyone else found that Petplan increase quite a lot each year?

I’ve got the girls on a lifetime cover plan, with a multi pet discount.

2. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

How old are they now ? When I used to take out insurance I found that invariably the premiums increased dramatically when the cats reached about 7 or 8 as they were then considered "geriatric":eek:

Also insurance companies are well known for increasing premiums when there is financial unrest like now with Covid19 - not just pet insurance but all other types of insurance as well. Perhaps a quick call to Pet Plan to ask them to explain why such a big hike in your premiums this year ?

ewelsh likes this.
  3. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

And that is the reason why I stopped my pet insurance. I was with Tesco pets, loyal every year. So rang them and asked where was their loyalty to me as I had been with them for years. I got another year at the old price then after that they wouldn’t budge.
    So @Bethany22 ring them and try to get them to explain and reduce it

TriTri likes this.
  4. urbantigers

urbantigers PetForums VIP

Mine went up by quite a bit this year. I think lots of factors influence premiums and it’s not based on whether you have made a claim. Overall claims made to the company would affect it but not your actual claims.

chillminx likes this.
  5. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

I looked at Ollie's policy, which renewed in Aug.

It increased by £46.89.
    This included £32.94 for Insurance Premium Tax
    So subtracting that amount, PP has only increased their actual charge by £1.16 a month.

See what they've actually increased on your girls; it might not be as exorbitant as first appears.

P.S. @Bethanjane22 just a thought. Is this the first renewal? If so, there will be a bigger increase taking into account the introductory discount you received when first signing up with them.

#5 SbanR, Oct 9, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
  6. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Meeko has been insured with Pet Plan for 10 years and has never had a huge hike at the annual policy renewal. , usually at the most £1.50 / £2.00 a month .
    His last policy renewal was a bit higher but I expected it to be as he is now 10 years old .
    I assume the £100 increase is for the year and split between the 2 girls which makes it look more than the £4 (ish) it actually is although unless as @SbanR has suggested about it being the first renewal it does seem a bit high for young cats.
    As far as claims go I can say for certain there is no increase applied if you make a claim.....Meeko has claims every year , some in 4 figures

7. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

Remember the IPT. PP has no control over that.

chillminx likes this.
  8. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

There was an increase in the annual IPT a couple of years back but I havnt noticed it to be higher than normal since then.

9. Chaddycat

Chaddycat PetForums Senior

Insurance companies talk complete and utter bull poop. I was told it was to do with the area I lived in as to why mine had gone up. Yet my Sisters cat (who is an old kitty) hadn't gone up half as much! Grrrrr x

10. Chaddycat

Chaddycat PetForums Senior

And she lives 5 mins away!

11. Bethanjane22

Bethanjane22 PetForums Senior

Thanks all for your replies. Yes it turns out the IPT makes up £66 of the increase. So £34 divided by 12 months gives an increase of £2.83 per month for the 2 of them.

12. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

The IPT is a blooming nuisance as it hikes premiums massively on something that really everyone should be encouraged to have. I cancelled all my insurance policies a year or two ago as it was becoming unsustainable :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice