Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

pet kittens and neutering them

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Biawhiska, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Biawhiska

Biawhiska PetForums VIP

la lalandad

#1 Biawhiska, Mar 28, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2008
  2. SavannahKitten

SavannahKitten PetForums Senior

We are fairly new breeders, and we learnt from the breeders that provided us with our cats to put contracts on our cats to stop them being used for breeding.

However - I know some BYBs will think nothing of breaking contracts. We try to vet our prospective kitten owners properly to ensure this doesn't happen.

Our Savannahs will be a different matter. We have arranged to have the boys neutered at around 12 weeks, ready to be rehomed at the usual 13 weeks.
    The girls will be spayed at 15 weeks, and we'll have to take advice on how long they will need to recover - perhaps another 2 weeks.

The cost of the operation to the pet owner is nothing. It is worth paying the neuter/spaying costs to protect our breed, but that's because it's brand new to the UK.

With paperwork, it is against the law to sell a pedigree cat and not provide the pedigree, and it is against GCCF regulations not to provide a pink slip when the cat leaves (though this isn't always possible as the GCCF can take a long time to register a cat). I know some people withhold paperwork, but what does that mean in the scheme of things? If a cat is registered as non-active and people breed that cat, their kittens cannot be registered anyway so they won't care about having a registered cat and the pink slip that comes with it - the pink slip will even say that the cat cannot be bred from!

The money thing sounds like a fun idea. Pay the breeding price and get it returned once the cat has been spayed. But you would have to be very disciplined about the use of that money and have it available to pay back.

Neutering/spaying is the only certain answer in my opinion.

3. SavannahKitten

Apparently there have been a handful of Savannah breeders here for a few years, but nobody really knew about them. So as far as anybody knows the breed is new to the UK.

4. Siamese Kelly

Siamese Kelly PetForums VIP

Do you write up some kind of contract? even though I am sure these do get broken-Yes, it's not foul proof but it helps.

Is it possible to ask the buyer to leave a deposit of money with you and they will only get it back when you recieve the proof of neutering ?? or withold paper work?Yes-their your kitts and any decent person upon explanation will fully understand this:)

And if you wait for a letter signed by a vet etc, how would you tell it was real????You would phone the vet in question and ask anything you want to know-without offence being taken:)
    Our kittens are at least 13wks before they leave us as we want to make sure they have no adverse affects from 2nd injections.
    We don't neuter/spay our kitts as our vet doesn't recommend it until they're 5/6mths old-however we are in constant touch with all our kitten families and are at this moment in time satisfied that they have honored our wishes:)
    This may change in the future,but so far we really couldn't have been happier with all of our kitts chosen slaves:)

5. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

Were they the same as your Savannahs? I ask because I was once involved in a court case against a breeder of kittens described as Savannahs, they were Siamese x Bengal (and grossly overpriced)

Liz

6. SavannahKitten

I would LOVE to know that breeder's name if you care to PM it? I bet I could guess though!

There is a recognised cross breed called the Serengeti - that's a Bengal and an Oriental. The intention of the breeders was to produce a Savannah looking cat but without using any recent wild blood.

.......?

7. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

I'm afraid I can't remember (though it just might ring a bell if you PM me the one you are thinking of). It wasn't my case, I was acting in a sort of expert witness capacity on behalf of a very novice breeder who had been "done" by these people.

Liz

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice