Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pet insurance

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Mandy/Milo, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Mandy/Milo

Mandy/Milo PetForums Newbie

Hi I've recently bought a staffy puppy, I've been looking at pet insurance and it's a little confusing, " pre condition time limited and accident only are the quotes I'm getting, could someone tell me please what would be the best, I'd like him covered for everything possible, thanks

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Could it say pre-existing condition? That means if your dog had been treated for something in the past, they won't pay for treatment for the same thing in the future. However a pup is hopefully clear of any conditions.

I am guessing that time limited means they will only pay for a ertain length of time - not good if your dog were ever to develop a long term condition like diabetes for example. Instead, do look for lifetime cover which means the payments won't stop at the end of the insurance year.

Accident only probably covers no illnesses, only accidents and then may even be only for the other person involved - so if your dog caused a car accident you might be covered for damage to the vehicle but not necessarily injury to the dog.

So the best insurances are lifetime cover with the biggest annual claim limit you can reasonably afford.

Be aware also that few insurers deal directly with vets (Pet plan are one of the few who do) so you would need the funds to pay the vet first before you are refunded by the insurer.

3. Mandy/Milo

Thank you so much, I just want to make sure I get the right one, that will cover everything for him, im guessing it can be very expensive, an I'm not sure how they work, I'm hoping it's a case off I pay the exsese and my insurance will pay the rest. X

4. DaisyBluebell

DaisyBluebell Earth, the insane asylum of the Universe

Pet Plan Lifetime cover is what we have for our Lurcher and it costs £23 per month for £7K per year, which means it will cover Emma for anything up to £7K a year and if we claim for something then the following year it is still £7K for the year, so if Emma needs something for the rest of her, hopefully long life, she is always covered for that amount. I would have to pay £100 excess when ever she visited the vet for anything so 9 times out of 10 the vet bill usually comes to £70'ish so you cant claim. I have also taken out the Vets own cover, which most vets do now, which costs me £14 per month and covers her for 10% off procedures like spaying neutering and also covers for her annual flea and worm stuff and also covers the vets consultation fee when ever we have to go.
    It can be very confusing but I was greatly helped by asking on here,, as you have, & found that most people go with Pet Plan because, whilst like ALL insurance companies, the price goes up each year, Pet Plan tends to go up by the least amount each year.
    Hope that helps. Better to be insured than not as if anything does happen the cost can be a big factor in your and the dogs life. Please God each year you will, like most of us, be moaning about the cost of it, having not had to use it!

sskmick likes this.
  5. Mandy/Milo

That's a great help thank you! I didn't want to be caught out with theses companies that promise you everything then when it comes to it you have to pay for all treatments first, someone did mention on here that pet plan don't pay out untill after you pay first, is that correct?

6. DaisyBluebell

I asked at my vets before I took Pet Plan out and they said they would bill Pet Plan direct if I wanted by me filling in the claim form and returning it to them to sort out (having paid the excess to the vet up front) or I could pay & then reclaim. Not all vets do it but I think its the only Animal Insurance company that, if they do, they will be happy to do for Pet Plan. Check with your vet if they do that - its very convenient if they do as all you would pay is the excess of £100 .
    Hopefully you & I will never need to do it!

7. Mandy/Milo

Fab, I'm looking at it now and the claslic one is £34.47 it's a lot more expemexpeto all the others I've looked at betwey 3.45 and 8.70 a month, but none of them offer as much so I really think it's worth it x

8. Mandy/Milo

Sorry last reply was a little messed up lol
    #Fab, I'm looking at it now and the claslcl one is £34.47 it's a lot more expensive to all the others I've looked at, between 3.45 and 8.70 a month, but none of them offer as much so I really think it's worth it x

9. DaisyBluebell

Mine was the Classic when I took it out last year but I just checked and its now the Classic+ & I pay £24 a month but Emma is classed as a whippet x i.e. a crossbreed or mongrel. May be that yours as a 'breed' & a staffie at that its a bit higher than mine was priced at? Mine is cover up to £7K pa for LifeTime cover.
    Remember it usually takes 2 weeks before your insurance click in so if you are still on the insurance that your dog came with from the breeder, better to get your cover sooner than later in case God forbid something happened in between time.
    Your dog looks a little cutie if thats it in your Avatar? Name? Pics please we like to coo over puppies on here :D

10. Mandy/Milo

Are right I get you, yes he's a pedigree blue staff his name is milo, although it's been Frank Rubble Blu one oi stop that lol. I'm new to this site so I'll have alook how to send pics now, know when you say still covered from the breeders insurance I don't know he came with any?

11. DaisyBluebell

Usually a good breeder will give you a months Pet Plan basic cover, enquire of your breeder.
    Rd adding pictures, if you scroll to where it says 'post reply' nect to it you will see 'upload a file' click on that & it will take you yo your photo gallery, press & hold o your picture then it should say 'open file' click that & it should add your picture to here & give your the choice of 'thumb Neil's or 'full picture' click full picture to add the pick then click 'post reply'

12. Mandy/Milo

I'll ask about that, thank you x
    Milo in the garden today by my daughter's pool IMG_20180630_113100_771.jpg

13. DaisyBluebell

Beautiful looking dog. Has he been in the pool?

14. Mandy/Milo

Thank you , no he went to go in there but I stopped him as he got a little cold, and being so young I didn't think it would be a good idea.

DaisyBluebell likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice