Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

pet insurance?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Elise.x, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Elise.x

Elise.x PetForums Junior

Thankfully Hank has 4 weeks free pet insurance which i rang today, just incase his front leg needs x-raying or operated on etc, this is with petplan and since i dont have a clue about pet insurance with this being our first family pet, i need some advice:D

When his 4 week insurance runs out should i stick with petplan? are they good?

If not are there any better pet insurances out there that anybody would reccomend?

Or is it a waste of time and would it be better for me to just put money aside each month just in case he has any more vet expenses in the future?

Your thoughts please :D

2. Jen26

Jen26 PetForums VIP

If he has a pre-existing condition, I would stay with petplan. If you change and he does have problems with his leg, you wont be covered by any other insurance company.

3. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

as jen said above, esp incse he has hurt himself, better safe then sorry.

I would have said that direct line is cheaper & do the same insurance aswell though : )

4. Elise.x

Elise.x PetForums Junior

Thanks for your replies i will enquire about a quote, because i have a feeling we will defenitly need pet insurance with Hank lol :rolleyes:

5. munchbunch

munchbunch PetForums VIP

I'd definately recommend you take out pet insurance, especially if you only have one cat. I now have five cats, so the cost is getting rather high & I am thinking of a savings account, but insurance provides peace of mind & I wouldn't consider a savings account for one pet - it would take too long to build up a suitable reserve & you never know when you might need it. As previously stated, if you have already made a claim or your kitten has a pre existing condition that you have claimed for, stick with the same company, otherwise you won't be covered for further problems for the same condition. There are a lot of different policies out there & basically you get what you pay for. Most vets recommend Pet Plan as they have such a good record for paying claims & their cover is high. Some of my cats are insured with them, others with M&S, but M&S premiums are going through the roof for similar cover to Pet Plan, and they have started to add clauses such as having to ring a helpline before taking your pet for emergency out of hours cover. Make sure you go for a lifetime cover policy - these continue to pay for an ongoing condition for life - your yearly limits start again each year. You can get much cheaper policies, but these will normally pay out a certain amount for each condition (then nothing further), or will be time limited (a year after onset only), or a combination of the both (whichever occurs first). Hope this helps, good luck!

6. impulce

impulce PetForums Member

I was with tesco for my existing cat and when we got a kitten he came with 2 weeks free pet plan insuarnce from cats protection. Petplan rang me 3 times a day during work/evening when i did not want/was not available to speak and i got so fed up of getting phonecalls all the time that i rang up to cancel and added him on to my existing policy with tesco! I get so fed up with sales calls...

7. JoWDC

JoWDC PetForums VIP

You should definately stick with your Pet insurance. I wouldn't be without mine - we've only had Patch since October and we've had to claim twice. M&S are really good & both times i've had the cheque on the claim within a month - no questions asked.

8. Viki

Viki PetForums Senior

This is spot on, as everyone has said if it's a pre-existing condition definitely recommend staying with the same company, as it's highly likely you won't be covered for that condition if you take out a new policy with another insurer.

Viki

9. Emma_Williams

Emma_Williams PetForums Junior

Are Tesco's good? I'm thinking of going with them.

10. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

pet plan are great.

we've had 2 cats taht have needed treatment, one (who died *sniffle*) to diagnose nasal granuloma (£~2000), the other to make sure she didn't have any gut/digestive problems (£700). Petplan paid out on both with no quibbles.

11. Viki

Viki PetForums Senior

Tesco only has 1 star for each of its policies from Defaqto, not to say it's not a good poilcy but in comparison to the others available it doesn't have as many advantages. (Defaqto is an independent rating system)

12. Emma_Williams

Emma_Williams PetForums Junior

I looked at that site. Thank you. After looking through it I am thinking I might go with Camping & Caravan Club.

13. ClaireLily

ClaireLily PetForums Senior

My cats are insured with pet-insurance.co.uk both lifetime cover, I pay £9.98 for both combined. Don't think its possible to find cheaper. I have a £75 vet fees excess but no other excess applies to the cover.
    I made a claim early this year and they settled with no hassle or fuss. Defaqto give them 3 stars for cats and 4 stars for dogs. If your on a budget might be worth a look.

14. nanamoo

nanamoo PetForums Member

i use healthy pets insurance for all 4 of my fur babies, i have had to make a claim twice now and claims were settled direct to the vet within 2-3 weeks of putting the claim forms in at my vets

i pay around £30 a month for all 4 pets for the gold level and it has a £65 excess on it

15. Viki

Viki PetForums Senior

no problems :)
    if you check out the site in my signature it compares the main insurers and their Defaqto ratings along with other useful info like the time limit on claims, excess and extra benefits, etc.

hope that helps!!

16. Jem29

Jem29 PetForums Member

How does pet insurance work? because today my 2 puppries were ill and I paid £50 out for check ups and antibiotics, they both have chest infections after staying in a local kennel whilst we were on holiday. If they were insured would a plan cover things like that?

17. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

Be sure you are comparing like with like when getting insurance quotes. Companies are getting very clever with the terminology ie lifetime cover is probably not the same thing as true cover for life.

Cover for life (eg Petplan) means they will continue to pay for treatment for a condition for as long as you continue to pay the premiums.

Lifetime cover usually means they will continue to cover a condition up to a set amount. Once this ceiling has been reached they will no longer cover the condition and you won't get cover elsewhere. Depending on the level of cover you have chosen it may be as much as £7000 but when it's gone it's gone.

Some companies still sell straight term insurance. It will be the cheapest quote because they will not continue to cover a condition beyond the term of the policy (12 months). At the end of the year, when your policy is due for renewal they will exclude any existing condition.

18. Amy-manycats

Amy-manycats PetForums Senior

I have had mixed results with pet plan, they have been great when I made a claim for Leo RIP last year. However I just phoned to add on my 2 kittens whos 4 weeks free is just expiring I thought I would just check on my current insurance to be told they were still insuring Freddie who I had PTS in December :( aparently they had a note on their file that I had notified them but didn;t think that meant I no longer needed him insuring FFS!

Mixed reviews here but stick with them if you have an existing condition as they are very reasonable about Freddie fungal granuloma as an existing condition at the time I took out the insurance. As a condition that was likly to reoccur I was very pleased to hear they would just exclude that for 2 years then he would be fully covered for that in full.

19. Frenchie

Frenchie Banned

hi all,

i read the topic and thought i'd give my takes on it.

1. If your pet has shown signs of an illness or been treated for a condition before you take out a pet insurance, this will be qualified as a pre existing condition and wont be covered by the insurance company. You can still take out the cover though.

2. As to 'is Tesco better than Petplan', there isnt an answer really. It all depends on what you're looking for? Affordable cover for emergencies (Tesco) or comprehensive cover for condition that are likely to be ongoing (Petplan)?

I know there's a lot of confusion regarding lifetime pet insurance and who really offers it (beyond the marketing smoke and mirrors) so I put together a post that shows all lifetime insurers in the UK. See: Ultimate list of lifetime pet insurance providers in the UK | Pet Insurance Discount

I hope this helps.

20. Elise.x

Elise.x PetForums Junior

Well, i still dont have insurance and Hanks free insurance runs out in a few days so really need to decide.

I had a lot to deal with this past week or so with my son breaking up from school, and petplan have been ringing me non stop this week, but ive ignored there calls at the moment because im not going to be pushed into it which is how i feel considering thay have rang 52 times this week:eek: i know i should answer and talk to them but i know as soon as i do i will take a cover out with them because im not a very outspoken person, so i will wait until ive made up my mind then ring them if i chooose them :)

I just have one more question before i decide.

Hank was hurt two weeks ago from a fall, he was limping and his front shoulder was very swollen, he was given anti inflamitary injection and metacam drops, 2 days later back to the vet and he was walking fine and no more swelling, just to be sure he was given a weeks cage rest and confined to one room for a week, all is now fine but the vet didnt actually say what was wrong, we know it obviously wasnt a break, so im assuming a sprain? So, my question is would this be classed as a pre existing condition or not because he was fine after two days:confused:

Thanks.x

#20 Elise.x, Jul 20, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice