Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pet Insurance

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by SilverCat285, Aug 10, 2013.

1. SilverCat285

SilverCat285 PetForums Member

I'm looking at insurance for when Maya comes home, :yikes: I have no idea which to pick. I want lifetime cover, and I'm under 18 so not every company will insure :frown2:

I really want to hear about your experiences with insurers and any ones to steer clear of.

2. profx

profx PetForums Member

I won't be of any help unfortunately as todd is not insured :( Good luck finding a good insurer though :)

3. MCWillow

MCWillow PetForums VIP

I'm with PetPlan, and couldn't fault them. Others on here are with Argos, and also say they are good.

Not sure about age restrictions though, its a long time since I was under 18 :eek:

AlbertRoss (search the username) has a website about pet insurance, giving all the info, good and bad, they have researched.

4. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

Being under 18 means you can't legally enter into a contract unless it's for a necessity which is why insurance companies can't deal with you.

5. SilverCat285

Thanks for the help, I'll go search for them.

Urgh I'm 18 in December but I really wanted to insure them before that, just in case.

6. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

It is annoying I know but legally that's the situation. You cannot enter into a contract except for a necessity and this doesn't count as such.

7. SilverCat285

If I wait until I'm 18 then the cat will be about 6 1/2 - 7 months, could it wait that long?

8. smiler84

smiler84 PetForums VIP

Arthur was 6 months before I insured him -he was four months when he came to me and I wanted to get him chipped, vaccinated, neutered, flead and wormed as my priority! Wasn't an issue, although obviously if he'd needed treatment during those two months it would have been cost me!

I'm with argos on their platinum cover. It's hard to judge what these companies are like until you have to make a claim. I recently put in my first claim when arthur was injured (and am about to put in another one!) but they were very good and paid quickly with no quibbles. My vets are happy to deal directly with argos if necessary as they say they don't tend to have any issues with them.

9. AlbertRoss

AlbertRoss PetForums VIP

Can I suggest that you go on to my website (link in sig below) and read the Buyer's Guide? It'll tell you all about what to buy, which companies are ethical and who to avoid.

As for the legality of the contract, could you not get a parent to do this for now and then, when you are 18 swap 'ownership'? Everything else stays the same.

I am delighted that you are taking such a responsible view of kitten ownership. Your kitty is very lucky to have someone like you as an owner. :001_smile:

10. SilverCat285

I was considering doing that of I couldn't get it in my own name, but I didn't know if I'd be able to swap over. If they had been treated for something already surely it wouldn't be covered if they swapped ownership as I think that would class as taking out a different policy?

11. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

That's a very good question. I think it's worth your while phoning the insurers and seeing what they say. When you get the answer you want get it in writing before going any further. Don't rely on what a call centre operative has said without getting back up by email at least.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice