UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok ive been researching and researching and to be honest my eyes are going funny and my brain has stopped making sense of everything!

Im looking at Healthy pet insurance has anyone had any experiences with these?

Im looking at paying £30.53 at the discounted price and £36.64 without the discount.

I was looking at taking the £7500 policy but no idea if this is good or not!?!

The policy is for Tails a 17 week old Dobermann :D

Policy Benefits:

Upto Upto Upto
Vet's Fees £1000 £4250 £7500
Cover for ongoing conditions** Yes Yes Yes
Pay Vet Direct Yes Yes Yes
Veterinary Helpline Yes Yes Yes
Third Party Liability & Legal £1m £1m £1m Expenses Dogs Only.
Accidental Damage No No £500
Death from Illness* No £500 £1000
Death from Accident No £500 £1000
Advertising & Reward No £500 £1000
Theft or Straying No £500 £1000
Boarding Kennel Fees No £500 £1000
Holiday Cancellation No £500 £2000
Bereavement Counseling Helpline Yes Yes Yes
Pet Legal Helpline Yes Yes Yes
Pet Minders Helpline Yes Yes Yes
Overseas Travel 30dys 30dys 12mths

Notes:
Third Party Liability Excess is £100. Accidental damage Excess is £100.
* Cover does not apply to dogs 9 yrs and over and cats 11 yrs and over
** Subject to cover remaining in force and the original policy limit.

Cant anyone help me? I cant really spent more than £30 per month looking for lifelong policies and want to get it right seeing as i seem to have an accident prone puppy (just like her mum :eek:)

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you, had a search around there site and found this

This Insurance is underwritten by Great Lakes Reinsurance (UK) PLC Plantation Place, 30 Fenchurch Street, London, EC3M 3AJ for all sections other than Third Party Liability Cover and Groupama Insurance Company Ltd 6th Floor, One America Square, 17 Crosswall, London, EC3N 2LB for Third Party Liability Cover.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
underwriter is the one evaluate risk and works out premiums & conditions and runs policy. Sometimes it can be direct such as AXA (who also underwrite for others like sainsbury's) but usually its different. When a company changes underwriters it can effect policy details and premiums and some gained poor reputation in past on paying either slow or not at all such as E&L.

I've not heard of that one, though i hadn't heard of healthy pets either:eek: Albert is a bit on insurance expert on PF so might chime in later.

If it has policy details online have a read and make sure it covers what you expect.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hope someone can help me i need the right cover that covers her for life for anything that might happen (fingers crossed nothing does) I cant pay more than £30 a month and want anything that could go wrong with a dobermann to be covered. If i can find the right insurance i would try and stay with them for life so anything she already had was covered but dont want to jump in and get it wrong.

Ive been searching for 7 weeks now and still cant find the right one that im happy with and can afford!

Finding insurance is a mine field and to those of us who dont have a clue its very hard to know what you need to be looking out for and what is best!

My OH's mum keeps telling me to just get any old cheap insurance and she has her 3 girls insured with tesco for £30 a month thinks if i pay that for Tails im stupid but she isnt covered for hardly anything and all her dogs have now just gone over the age of 7 so she couldnt change if she wanted to.

I want to get the best i can for what i can afford and know that Tails is covered for what ever might happen

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok ive been researching and researching and to be honest my eyes are going funny and my brain has stopped making sense of everything!

Im looking at Healthy pet insurance has anyone had any experiences with these?

Im looking at paying £30.53 at the discounted price and £36.64 without the discount.

I was looking at taking the £7500 policy but no idea if this is good or not!?!

The policy is for Tails a 17 week old Dobermann :D

Policy Benefits:

Upto Upto Upto
Vet's Fees £1000 £4250 £7500
Cover for ongoing conditions** Yes Yes Yes
Pay Vet Direct Yes Yes Yes
Veterinary Helpline Yes Yes Yes
Third Party Liability & Legal £1m £1m £1m Expenses Dogs Only.
Accidental Damage No No £500
Death from Illness* No £500 £1000
Death from Accident No £500 £1000
Advertising & Reward No £500 £1000
Theft or Straying No £500 £1000
Boarding Kennel Fees No £500 £1000
Holiday Cancellation No £500 £2000
Bereavement Counseling Helpline Yes Yes Yes
Pet Legal Helpline Yes Yes Yes
Pet Minders Helpline Yes Yes Yes
Overseas Travel 30dys 30dys 12mths

Notes:
Third Party Liability Excess is £100. Accidental damage Excess is £100.
* Cover does not apply to dogs 9 yrs and over and cats 11 yrs and over
** Subject to cover remaining in force and the original policy limit.

Cant anyone help me? I cant really spent more than £30 per month looking for lifelong policies and want to get it right seeing as i seem to have an accident prone puppy (just like her mum :eek:)
We chose protect your bubble when we renewed the cat and the dogs insurance (and got an additional discount for multipets), but £30 does seem an awful lot!

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Healthy Pets are fine.

If you need general help about the ins and outs of pet insurance (and it seems that you do), click the link in my sig below and then click 'Free Report'. It'll pretty much cover anything you want to know. All the companies on my site have been checked out as being OK e.g. they pay out rather than trying to fight claims. Healthy Pets are on the site - and I do throw off any company that isn't ethical. We've even had success in getting a company to change its terms and conditions (look for the many threads about a dog called Cooper here).

I do strongly suggest you read the report before buying.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Healthy Pets are fine.

If you need general help about the ins and outs of pet insurance (and it seems that you do), click the link in my sig below and then click 'Free Report'. It'll pretty much cover anything you want to know. All the companies on my site have been checked out as being OK e.g. they pay out rather than trying to fight claims. Healthy Pets are on the site - and I do throw off any company that isn't ethical. We've even had success in getting a company to change its terms and conditions (look for the many threads about a dog called Cooper here).

I do strongly suggest you read the report before buying.
Thank you i have read the report on your sig saw it after i posted, doesnt make much clear to me really but i am going through the site on there for comparing prices :D

·
Mum to 2 cats and a dog
5,743 Posts
I would not buy a policy unless it was a lifetime policy and Healthy Pets is a per condition policy, which in my opinion, just isn't good enough. If your pet develops something like a heart condition, the costs can run into thousands and thousands of pounds. It's £4000 to fit a pacemaker into a cat so goodness knows what it costs to fit one into a dog. The tests for a heart condition in a cat can run up to £2,000 and then further tests every three months can cost between £600 and £700 for the rest of their lives and that's before you start calculating the costs of medication on top.

My advice would be to stick with the lifetime policies.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
I use Petplan, I think I was paying £36 per month for Woody for the ultimate plan, they were excellent , paid out nearly £8000 and he was only with them 8mths.

·
Mum to 2 cats and a dog
5,743 Posts
I'm with Petplan. I have several poorly cats. My vet bills so far this year are now nearing £13,000 and still rising. They have paid out every time so far.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
All this is so confusing i was looking at lifetime policy as i didnt want a year one seems that my eyes are getting more boggled than i thought :eek:

Thanks for pointing it out to me will keep looking. Petplan is just to much for me at the moment at £59 a month the cover they give if great but just out of my budget at the moment (would be a lot easier if OH remembered to put his time sheets in on time then we wouldnt be playing catch up ggrr)

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
£30 is cheap i keep getting quotes of £60+ :eek:
My 9 month old dobe costs me £40 a month to insure, this was the cheapest quote I had from any insurance company, and I honestly spent about a week just getting quotes.
I went with John Lewis. Not had to use them so far, so can't say how good they are.

Vetsmedicover were a tad cheaper, but I didn't trust such a new company, wanted to go with someone more established.

Cost of insurance varies depending on breed, age of the dog, gender of the dog, and area you live in. For me, having a male doberman pup in an area like this just happened to be rather costly :rolleyes:
But with a breed so prone to health issues, and with a tendency to be so clumsy and hard headed when young, I think its probably a very good idea to have insurance.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Pet insurance?
Is getting pet insurance a good idea? I'm getting a puppy and kinda nervous about vet fees (I have enough money but dont want to just spend tons if I dont need to). Is getting pet insurance a good idea? Any recommendations? The dog is 6 weeks so I know it will need a lot of shots and vet visits
The simple answer is Yes. Vet bills can hit multiple thousands - you will find many threads here of people with just that sort of experience. If you don't know where to start click the link in my sig below and then click 'Free Report'. That'll explain what the differences are in policies and what to look for.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.