Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

pet insurance

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by tinaK, Apr 24, 2011.

1. tinaK

tinaK PetForums VIP

In a month I will be needing to renew my insurance for clover. I've looked on the net, got quotes but it's so confusing. Who do people insure with and do you change it every year

2. teddyboylove

teddyboylove PetForums Junior

More than have a good deal on just now. They were recommended by others on another forum, too. Worth checking out.

3. jessiegirl

jessiegirl PetForums Senior

mine runs out next week so im looking to change. i was thinking of going with more than, im with tesco right now. but yeah it is confusing!

4. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

If you do change anything your dog has had and is on their medical records will likely not be covered as classed as a pre exsiting condition. More companies now seem to want the full medical history sent with your first claim too.

More than are good at paying out but, the cover is only per condition, or was unless they have changed their policies. There is no time limit for when you can claim but once the total amount has been used up for that type of condition, then they wont pay out anymore. You would have to double check the small print, but if I remember correctly anything your dog has two of they class as one condition, even things like disorders of the digestive tract, eye disorders are lumped together, so its not so much per individual condition but more type. A couple of years back they also introduced that you had to pay the first 10% of every claim as well as the excess, again you would have to check if this still applies. Personally I changed because, after about 3 years of only going up £3.00 or there abouts per month, mine suddenly rocketed fom £39.99 to £70.40 per month in one go, in spite of saying you would not be penalised with raised premiums when you claim when I took it out.
    my dog was only just turned 4 at the time too.

Best to go for life long or life time cover, with an amount thats re-instated
    each and every year, whatever your claims have been the previous year and only a set excess you have to pay. Some companies do an amount per condition thats life long too, which means that will get re-instated each year in full too.

5. AlbertRoss

AlbertRoss PetForums VIP

The biggest problem with changing is always previous medical history. Basically, if your pet has been treated for anything it's going to be disbarred by any new insurer. As will anything that's similar. I'm surprised people recommend More Than because the cover isn't good and the excesses charged are high. They are currently removed from my website (see below) because of complaints. (But I'm still investigating whether or not those complaints are justified).

If you can shop around then do so. I posted a quick guide to what to look for at a similar thread, which may help.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice