UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Argos pet insurance Gold cover,so let me explain.Two weeks ago my dog is red raw down below and scratching and licking like mad so I take him to the vet.The vet prescribes 2 sets of tablets,shampoo and the consul fee a total of £52 which I paid and was told to come back in two weeks.Yesterday I went back with my dogs condition having cleared well but he was starting to mildly scratch again the past few days.The vet examines him and suggests new tablets(along with his current ones) which is fine until she tells me they are £60 per course!Yes thats right £60 for a set of tablets which he apparantly would have to take for 8 weeks if I heard her correctly.
She said about changing his diet and pointed to the £40 3 week supply bag of food,why would I pay £40 when I can pay around £12-£15 for the food he has ate all his life without his skin turning red!All in the total cost would be over £120 for yesterdays visit so I tell her about my insurance and show her the claim form,I suggest since I paid £52 on my last visit i pay £8 to make up the £60 excess and the insurer can pay you directly and was told no I would have to pay the total fees and claim back from the insurerer myself!
Might be fair policy might not,but not everybody has the money especially in the current economic climate to hand over £120+ and hope Argos give me it back.It was an embarrassing situation for myself as I hadnt got the money and had to leave with just his current tablets + consul fee was another £15.
When I got home I checked my policy hoping to claim back the £67 I had paid out but found you cant claim back the excess,so in reality I would be claiming back £7 woopy doo,so tell me what is the point in insurance if you dont have the money in the first place to pay large vet fee`s? :mad:

·
Registered
18,075 Posts
Thats the one thing that annoys me. My vets allow my insurance company to pay them directly. I just pay the excess.

If they didnt allow this, i wouldnt be able to have my dogs. Ive currently run up a vet bill of close to £1000. I dont even have £10 to my name right now, so theres no way i could pay then claim it back.

I do wish vets would be a little more understanding towards those on low incomes. Not everyone has large volumes of cash at their disposal. One of the reasons many people like myself get insurance in the first place.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats the one thing that annoys me. My vets allow my insurance company to pay them directly. I just pay the excess.

If they didnt allow this, i wouldnt be able to have my dogs. Ive currently run up a vet bill of close to £1000. I dont even have £10 to my name right now, so theres no way i could pay then claim it back.

I do wish vets would be a little more understanding towards those on low incomes. Not everyone has large volumes of cash at their disposal. One of the reasons many people like myself get insurance in the first place.
Agree totally,thats why I got the insurance.It never once crossed my mind that I would have to pay anything other than the excess to the vet.

·
Registered
18,075 Posts
Agree totally,thats why I got the insurance.It never once crossed my mind that I would have to pay anything other than the excess to the vet.
Some vets will sort you out a payment plan. This is what i had to do when i used a different vets once and was waiting for my insurance company to deal with the claim.

I think im extremely lucky with the one i use now. Before i had insurance i run up a HUGE bill, and they let me pay what i could, when i could. Took 9 months to clear my account.
They never mention cost, just get on with treatment.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I do think this is stupid too - my own vets will let me pay the excess and then they will claim from the insuarance company, but only because I am with Pet Plan. They wont do it for any other company.

This is because they said that Pet Plan are always very good in considering the claim but many other insurance comanies are not and they would more often than not be left having to chase the owners for the money.

Just as an aside - whilst you cannot tell for sure, at this time of year and from what you say it is very likely that your dog could be suffering with a pollen allergy...did the vet say what he thought it was? normally they recommend changing the food when they think it is an allergy and they want to try food elimination first...however, with the timing and the fact that you can get antihistamines for very cheap, I would try that route first and see if it helps.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do think this is stupid too - my own vets will let me pay the excess and then they will claim from the insuarance company, but only because I am with Pet Plan. They wont do it for any other company.

This is because they said that Pet Plan are always very good in considering the claim but many other insurance comanies are not and they would more often than not be left having to chase the owners for the money.

Just as an aside - whilst you cannot tell for sure, at this time of year and from what you say it is very likely that your dog could be suffering with a pollen allergy...did the vet say what he thought it was? normally they recommend changing the food when they think it is an allergy and they want to try food elimination first...however, with the timing and the fact that you can get antihistamines for very cheap, I would try that route first and see if it helps.
He had the same outbreak a year ago around the same time of year.She gave me Prednidale(2 a day)then 1 a day after 7 days and Ceporex antibiotics 2 a day.Cleared up remarkably well just the past few days though he is slightly red and licking again.Also was given Malaseb shampoo.I dont see how food is the issue as he`s been eating the same food for 5 years without a reaction,I personally think its a pollen allergy myself.

·
Registered
18,075 Posts
Btw, if you have to get the food, look online for it, you could save a considerable amount. Very few insurance companies will pay out for prescription diets anyway, as ive just found out. £33 for a 7.5kg sack of dry, and £18 for just 14 tins :eek:

EDIT: you can get the drugs online aswell. Just get a prescription from your vet for them. Again, you can save yourself £££ in upfront fee's.
You can still claim back from your insurance if you need too, as you will get documentation from the company.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
He had the same outbreak a year ago around the same time of year.She gave me Prednidale(2 a day)then 1 a day after 7 days and Ceporex antibiotics 2 a day.Cleared up remarkably well just the past few days though he is slightly red and licking again.Also was given Malaseb shampoo.I dont see how food is the issue as he`s been eating the same food for 5 years without a reaction,I personally think its a pollen allergy myself.
if he had the same allergy around the same time last year, then it is very likely pollen...and also very likely not food, if it only happened then (although without getting into it, they often develop allergies to something they have been exposed to for some time, as in the case of food - so it can be something they have had for a long time, but it would be unlikely to be seasonal with food, you would see a constant reaction!)

having been in this situation with maggie, i would say that the presciption foods to deal with this are terrible... :( ...so dont go there unless you have to...

sounds like he was itchy from pollen, then scratched etc so it got infected and then thats why he needed antibiotics. this is what happened to maggie and we found that malaseb was great too at the height of her itching. she is allergic to certain foods and pollen though poor thing.

we use piriton allergy tablets (standard human ones) chlorphenamine maleate (not the once a day ones though). the vet advised us to buy them from the chemist as much cheaper. or they can provide and we could claim. she takes one AM, one PM and it controls the worst of the itching. sudocrem on the itchy parts also help if she does have a nibble at her tum. obviously check if this is ok with your vet, but to be honest, this is normally one of the first things they try, so am suprised that they havent suggested it!

edit: i might be wrong, but I thought Prednidale was an anti-inflamatory, rather than an antihistamine (anti-allergy drug) so sounds like it might be worth discussing using an anithistamine with your vet for furture management of the issue, as they are very low cost and no side effects to speak of apart from drowsiness in some. there are also a number of antihistamines suitable for dogs on the market which you could try so if one doesnt work, then another might.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Just asked mum and she sai that Flos insurance excess is about £85. But the first bill of the year wipes out the excess and so we don't pay it again for the rest of the year. Every bill after that gets completely covered by insurance.

I know a lot of people that get screwed over by inurance andnot just pet insurance.
xx

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Just asked mum and she sai that Flos insurance excess is about £85. But the first bill of the year wipes out the excess and so we don't pay it again for the rest of the year. Every bill after that gets completely covered by insurance.

I know a lot of people that get screwed over by inurance andnot just pet insurance.
xx
Are you sure? You usually pay the excess amount per condition. if it's ongoing treatment that's fine but if it's something new you pay the excess.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
This is why I am with petplan. The vets claim direct from them.
Same here. I wouldn't have fancied paying out £3,000 for Nessie's op and then wait to get it back.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
if he had the same allergy around the same time last year, then it is very likely pollen...and also very likely not food, if it only happened then (although without getting into it, they often develop allergies to something they have been exposed to for some time, as in the case of food - so it can be something they have had for a long time, but it would be unlikely to be seasonal with food, you would see a constant reaction!)

having been in this situation with maggie, i would say that the presciption foods to deal with this are terrible... :( ...so dont go there unless you have to...

sounds like he was itchy from pollen, then scratched etc so it got infected and then thats why he needed antibiotics. this is what happened to maggie and we found that malaseb was great too at the height of her itching. she is allergic to certain foods and pollen though poor thing.

we use piriton allergy tablets (standard human ones) chlorphenamine maleate (not the once a day ones though). the vet advised us to buy them from the chemist as much cheaper. or they can provide and we could claim. she takes one AM, one PM and it controls the worst of the itching. sudocrem on the itchy parts also help if she does have a nibble at her tum. obviously check if this is ok with your vet, but to be honest, this is normally one of the first things they try, so am suprised that they havent suggested it!

edit: i might be wrong, but I thought Prednidale was an anti-inflamatory, rather than an antihistamine (anti-allergy drug) so sounds like it might be worth discussing using an anithistamine with your vet for furture management of the issue, as they are very low cost and no side effects to speak of apart from drowsiness in some. there are also a number of antihistamines suitable for dogs on the market which you could try so if one doesnt work, then another might.
Is Maggie a border collie?Tizer is a Border collie/Staffy cross,was wondering if these breeds are prone to skin irritations?

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
I know quite a few staffies with skin problems.

·
Registered
71 Posts
i can understand what you mean but im having surgery on my dog soon that with x-rays etc totals over £4000 so as you can imagine i am glad i only have to pay £85 excess!!!

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
i can understand what you mean but im having surgery on my dog soon that with x-rays etc totals over £4000 so as you can imagine i am glad i only have to pay £85 excess!!!
Will you have to pay and claim back or are you with petplan? My excess was only £50 with them.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Is Maggie a border collie?Tizer is a Border collie/Staffy cross,was wondering if these breeds are prone to skin irritations?
yep mags is a BC :)

as luvmydogs says, I think staffies can be prone to skin conditions...I do know a few people with Border Collies with allergies too, but I dont think it is particularly common in the breed - or no more common than in other breeds anyway...

unfortunately allergies are one of those really annoying things that can take ages to work out what the allergen is!! but luckily it seems your dog is only allergic at a certain time of year, so you can work out what this time is and then start giving antihistamines just before and through that period.

when maggies started we had no clue what it was and it has taken almost a year to follow the pattern and work out it is eating chicken and grains and also pollen!! :rolleyes:

I do find bathing her with the malaseb relatively frequently during high pollen season helps :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.