Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pet insurance question

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Tango Man, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Tango Man

Tango Man PetForums Newbie

Hi guys,

just had my dog in for knee surgery after his cap keeps popping out/back in, hes got 2 weeks caged, 2 weeks cages/walk then 2 weeks full wack. My question though it this.

When I had the surgery done the guy said because he cant get the dog to get up and walk in the middle of the op, he can only estimate where he needed to cut the bone, so theres a 15 per cent chance that the estimate would be wrong, his cap could pop out on the other side and hed need the surgery again. Now this surgery cost me £1400 (painkillers included) so I want to know if my insurance would cover any more surgery should it be needed, as Im worried as theres no way I could afford to pay for the extra surgery, and according to the policy it does not cover for any pre-existing condition.

Probably not the best people to ask but worth a go!:wink5:

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

You need to speak to your insurance company. Some have a maximum amount they will pay, others will give you lifetime cover per condition.

It depends on the company, and level of cover you took out.

Are they paying for this current operation?

3. Tango Man

The current op? Yes, they are. Had the insurance for about 15 months now so seeing as its a new condition, theyre paying for it. Claim limit is about 2 and a half grand so I may need to pay the rest....but like I said its 15% chance hell even need a 2nd op.

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Chances are, if he needed a second op, they would see it as a continuation of a condition, and will only pay up to the £2500 limit, of course taking into account what they will have already paid out.

5. Tango Man

Thats fine....chances are I can get the value down anyway.....and Id rather pay the £370 or whatever it is as opposed to the full £1400.

Can sleep at night now!

6. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

These things are always a worry.

I hope he doesnt need any further surgery.

You could always look into upgrading your insurance. I doubt it would help in this situation, but £2500 isnt a lot when it comes to vets bills.

7. sammyben

sammyben Guest

Aww, what a shame for him, Hope he makes a speedy recovery and doesn't need the further op! For his sake and your pockets :D x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice