Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pet insurance. HELP

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Lily333, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Lily333

Lily333 PetForums Newbie

hi, sorry if everyone asks this question all the time but I recently adopted 2 cats, 1 kitten and 1 4 year old cat. I have been searching for hours on reviews for the best pet insurance and I’ve still got no idea as so many mixed reviews!

What is everyone’s suggestions on the best insurance that covers most things possible and also doesn’t go up to much with age!! In desperate need of advice!

Thank you!!

2. Whompingwillow

Whompingwillow PetForums VIP

I use pet plan, on my vets reccomendation, they deal with them directly. I have no idea about any other insurance as its the only one I have ever used!

Good luck and nice one on adopting 2 cats :Cat hope to see some photos!

3. Lily333

Lily333 PetForums Newbie

Have you ever had to claim with them? Also by vets dealing with them directly does that mean you don’t have to pay out firstly and then get money back off insurers?

Thank you I adopted the 1 and just had to go back and rescue another! I’d have them all if I could haha

4. Whompingwillow

Whompingwillow PetForums VIP

i am not a good example, because my cat had health issues I was worried about in the beginning period they dont cover so as a result she has a lot of exclusions. They did cover one thing for her though. I have seen others have had a good experience with them! I would reccomend it. A good friend had all her claims dealt with (huge amounts) with pet plan

I hope my other cat never has health issues, but he has no exclusions so they would likely pay up if I had to claim anything, I hope!

Every vet is different, but my vet will do a direct claim when its over a certain amount, but yes that means I dont have to pay up anything whilst they make the claim directly with pet plan. My friend in Scotland’s vet will do direct claims for any amount, which is ideal. I think others with more experience will come along and comment too, hopefully you will get a lot of advice on this to work with

Aw, would love to see a photo! Adopting is best :) enjoy them. I also always want them all when I visit rescues. 2 is a nice number of cats ;)

5. Orla

Orla PetForums VIP

I'd definitely say Petplan too. I've not really claimed on my current two but my previous cat was diagnosed with a heart murmur when he was neutered as a kitten and was covered for all treatment from then on, the vet claimed direct so other than paying an initial excess, I never had to worry. More expensive initially than some insurers, but you don't get the big hike in premium that comes after you've claimed, or with age, that you do with those that start initially very low.

6. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Pet Plan "covered for life" here.
    My Ragdoll Meeko is now 8 years old and I have been claiming for his IBD for the past 6 years
    I have no problems regarding claims and as for annual premiums rising on average his have risen ,roughly £1/£1:50 a month each year .
    As for vets and how they will and who they will deal with is best discussed with your vet as some will deal direct some wont.
    Have a look at this link it was compiled a while back by a forum member............http://www.petinsurancecompare.co.uk/

Forester likes this.
  7. Forester

Forester trained by Dylan

Another Petplan fan here. Taking out a " 4 life" policy with them was one of the best things I have ever done.

I've had to claim every year, including almost up to my annual limit ( £4,000 ) and they have never quibbled about a penny. Despite all of these claims my premium has never risen by more than about £1.50 per month per year. I wholeheartedly recommend them.

8. SuboJvR

SuboJvR Joey’s Mummy

PetPlan covered "for life" here.

We had some initial problems with a customer services agent who gave me mis-information, leading me to think Joey was covered for something when he wasn't (as it fell within a 14 day exclusion period from the start of the policy). It dragged out for quite a long time but ultimately they agreed to pay 50% of the claim because of their confusion. I needed to go through several different departments until we finally ended up with the last complaints team (their last step, before I would need to approach the financial ombudsman).

So a mixed experience but I can recommend them for how they ultimately dealt with it, even if the initial customer services chap was clearly not in the know!

We decided to go with "for life" as Joey was so young, and we didn't know what we didn't know, if that makes sense. Depending how things go if all is good in a few years we may consider dropping down to the more basic cover but not sure.

9. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

You need to ask your vet how they deal with treatment that you will be claiming on insurance for. Not all vets will accept payment direct from the insurers so you have to pay them up front then claim back on the insurance yourself. Just to be more difficult, some vets will deal direct with some companies but not others, so again you need to clarify this with your own vet.

Petplan and Agria are expensive, but you get what you pay for, and they are usually quick to settle claims.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice