Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pet Insurance for 15 month old Maine Coon - lifetime cover

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by bobthebadger, Mar 16, 2019.

1. bobthebadger

bobthebadger PetForums Junior

Hi,

I have a 15 month year old Maine Coon, who has previously been an indoor cat, but it is my intention to start gradually letting him go outside as the other cat is elderly and won't live too much longer, and the other half refuses to let me get another. We both work and go to the gym a few times a week too. I am concerned about the lack of stimulation of him being on his own inside the house especially for a large cat that evolved for the outdoors in Maine. I want to get Pet Insurance before that as that is opening him up to viruses and more, but want one that will stay with you for life ie. not one that will start refusing to offer you insurance once he reaches a certain age. He has been robust and healthy so far, bu then he is only a young boy. Hope someone can advise.

Thanks

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi @bobthebadger - I have my cats insured with Pet Plan - lifetime cover. Bear in mind that even though your cat will be insured from a young age his premiums may increase as he gets older. It became too expensive to insure one of my previous cats when he reached the age of 14, so I cancelled the policy and saved the amount of the monthly premiums in a special account to pay vet fees.

Any pre-existing health conditions will not be covered, and this will include any health condition he has ever been treated for at the vet (but not accidents). Though exclusions in cover can sometimes be temporary ones.

Make sure he is vaccinated every year with the usual core vaccines as insurance won't cover him for those diseases otherwise.

bobthebadger and Laura_&_Cats like this.
  3. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Another Pet Plan recommendation here..........
    They can look to be more expensive on comparison with other companies but their reputation for paying out and keeping annual increases low and not influenced by any claims that have been made makes them IMO the best around.
    As @chillminx has said any illness/accident on his vet record may be excluded but the exclusion may be lifted if it doesn't reoccur after a set period of time.
    This link may help you..............http://www.petinsurancecompare.co.uk/ .

Forester and bobthebadger like this.
  4. bluecordelia

bluecordelia Footy

I would just be wary of letting him out as MC’s are ripe for a bit of cat rustling. I let my girl out but we live in a rural area with one way in and one way out. She will avoid strangers at all costs.

If I moved the garden would be secure.

5. popcornsmum

popcornsmum Popcorn relaxing!

One MC got taken from near us coz it was an outdoor cat but the owner thought it’d be ok with a tracking collar which was found nearby! I’d defo only let a MC out in a secure garden for sure.

6. bluecordelia

bluecordelia Footy

Yes @popcornsmum it isn’t obvious they have been neutered so people take them and there is zero chance that they will have kittens.

bobthebadger and popcornsmum like this.
  7. Quartermass

Quartermass PetForums Senior

I had a bad experience with lifetime cat insurance. I took it out with Emporium and the annual renewal was exactly 50% more than the previous year. I won't take it out with anyone else other than either Pet plan because of their reputation, or a company that will quantify what kind of annual rises may happen.

Year before it was More Than, but I can't remember why I switched to Emporium, likely an increase.

For me the only policy of value is a lifetime policy. And it's only of value if the premiums aren't going to lurch upwards.

And on top of that if I'm feeding my cat high meat content wet food and not letting him outdoors then am I not going to be subsidising the insurance company for cats who are on low quality food and getting out?

So I've self insured - in other words I'll meet any costs from my savings.

8. Laura_&_Cats

Laura_&_Cats PetForums Member

I actually moved away from Pet Plan for these two - I found their lifetime policy very expensive for my Dom, especially as he got older, and I felt like I was paying for things I didn't need in order to get the level of cover I wanted.

I'm now with what I believe is a fairly new company called Bought By Many. I have £0 excess and even the examination fee is covered, it's a lifetime multipet policy with up to £7k per year per cat with equivalent cover throughout the EU. As well as the 'no excess' policy they also do a 'fixed price for life' policy if your pet is under 2. The premiums start off a little higher for that, but this will prevent the sort of rises @chillminx mentioned. I'm currently paying £22 per month for both cats on my policy.

The company seems very good and has good reviews - the policies have apparently been designed in collaboration with vets, direct payments offered and an online claim system with tracking.

I'm really happy with the policy itself, obviously haven't claimed on it yet so don't have direct experience of that, but the reviews indicate they pay out quickly with minimal fuss. :Happy

bobthebadger and Quartermass like this.
  9. Arny

Arny PetForums Senior

My dog's with pet plan (mainly as he came with it and we just continued), we've claimed twice and not had any issues.
    Something to bare in mind is that once they reach a certain age you will have to pay the excess + 20% of any claims made.
    My cats aren't insured, I'm fortunate enough to be able to pay for any vet bills as and when they come.

bobthebadger and chillminx like this.
  10. MissMiloKitty

MissMiloKitty PetForums VIP

There is only one I would use and that's petplan lifetime. The premiums don't increase after a claim and at renewal last year the premium increased by pence which is just natural inflation.
    Exclusions are often lifted after a period of being symptom free, usually 12 or 24 months.
    After age 14 the cat is considered senior and premiums become a lot more expensive and you are expected to pay a percentage toward treatment. I think it's 20%
    It's worth having the insurance even if you never claim because of the peace of mind. Many people do claim and end up receiving a lot more than they have paid in.

bobthebadger likes this.
  11. popcornsmum

My Petplan lifetime renewal is just in and has gone up £3 a month despite no claims in 2 years?!

12. MissMiloKitty

Maybe mine was a small increase because she is a youngster.

13. popcornsmum

Oh maybe, Popcorns 6 in April!

MissMiloKitty likes this.
  14. MissMiloKitty

Miss Milo will be 2 in August. Gosh, time flies!

15. Quartermass

As a matter of course if a lifetime policy increases in cost you should make a complaint and ask for an explanation.

It isn't enough for them to say you can cancel if you want, the policy by it's nature has frontloaded costs, so while there is no surrender value there is quite clearly a value in keeping the policy on.

I'm qualified to give advice on insurance, but I have no expertise on lifetime pet policies, but the most similar product I can see is a life term policy for people. Increasing premiums on those policies can happen and isn't always a bad thing but the insurer must be able to properly justify it.

I'd go all the way to the ombudsman if you feel you have a policy you've contributed to for a while and wanted to continue with.

Jannor, chillminx and MissMiloKitty like this.
  16. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Meeko is 9 years old now and his premium is just under £25 a month.
    When I first took it out he was 3 months old, it was £12 a month so that is just over £1 a month of an increase over the years .
    He was diagnosed with IBD at 18 months old and has had multiple claims every year and is on medication for life .
    It will take me a good few years yet to be "out of pocket" as far as premium versus claims is concerned.
    I am aware that he will soon be reaching the point where the premium will become more expensive with the addition of a percentage added to his excess but I'm also aware that he will be reaching the point where other conditions could affect him.

Jannor, Forester and MissMiloKitty like this.
  17. Quartermass

Again I don't have expertise on these policies but I would want a proper explanation on why £12 became £25.

It may turn out to have been good value for you, but if you'd taken it out at £12 and made no claims, and 9 years later it had increased to £25 so you stopped the policy 6 months before a diagnosis of, for example, diabetes then.. well I'm sure you can fill in the gaps.

There could be legitimate reasons though. Inflation, or a general increase in the costs of vet care for example. It may well be that a policy that costs £12 to administer 9 years ago now costs £25.

18. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

The only ‘insurance’ I’d ever use :)

Most breeders don’t allow their kittens to homes where they’ll be let outside, with a contact stating so. I hope you’ll consider a free standing enclosure, cat proof yard or taking out on a harness instead.

While indoor cats require stimulation that is your job as the owner to put in effort, Maine Coons are a social breed, having one as an only cat may not be the best idea for his wellbeing.

Quartermass likes this.
  19. Laura_&_Cats

Laura_&_Cats PetForums Member

My opinion is, in a nutshell, if you are fortunate enough to be in a position to come up with several thousand in an emergency (say the equivalent of my policy limit, £7k per cat per year), then self-insuring is most likely the sensible decision.

If not, insurance is a very good idea. With my current policy, and the fact that I also have them on the vet's preventative care plan, this means I will be able to take them to the vets whenever they need it and pay nothing at the time, including for flea/worming treatments, six-monthly health checks, etc. It's a huge weight off my mind - even if I never need to claim I'm happy to pay for that!

I think it's fairly standard for the premiums to go up if you claim or as the cat gets older - I suppose it's like car insurance, which also goes up if you claim or are 'high risk' - older pets are more at risk of illness. I did a bit of research, my premiums will increase as they get older too and my excess increases when they are over nine... the only pet insurance policy I know of that doesn't increase premiums is the 'fixed for life' one from my insurer, but you have to take it out before your pet is two I believe.

Quartermass likes this.
  20. Quartermass

This is unfair and shouldn't be accepted.

Increasing premiums on a lifetime policy because the cat is older, or because of a claim is wrong and if you find out it's happened you should go all the way to the ombudsman on a complaint. Unless of course the original T&C allowed for it - like the Petplan 20% co-pay rule for example.

If it's because the cost has increased in general without specific reference to your own cat then that's different and allowed and in the example above it may be the case that 9 years has seen average vet costs go from £12 to £25.

12 month pet insurance policies are indeed like car insurance policies. At the end of the 12 months the insurer can decide what terms to offer going forwards. Lifetime insurance on the other hand is more like a term life policy for people, you don't take out life insurance at 25 for 40 years and have your premiums go up because you're older or because you've developed MS.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice