Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pet Hoover advice please!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by BrucieBonus, May 11, 2010.

1. BrucieBonus

BrucieBonus PetForums Junior

I've recently moved to a house that is carpeted throughout and just in time for moulting season! We have a russell hobbs pet vaccum but it takes several going overs before the carpet is clean. Does anyone have any reccomendations, I feel like I'm doing a workout at the gym everytime I hoover the house (which is a lot due to the amount of shedding)! :D

2. JessiesGirl

JessiesGirl PetForums Senior

I'm not sure of the vacuum brands available in the UK. I've been quite happy with my Hoover Wind Tunnel vacuums if they are available there.

To help with shedding:

-If your dog is not already on a fish oil supplement, you may want to consider that as it improves skin and coat (while also providing many other health benefits)

-Brush outside once or twice a day if you can

-If the problem is primarily undercoat, a Mars Coat King is a fabulous tool for removing loose undercoat while not disturbing/cutting/stripping top coat. The Groomer's Mall - Mars Coat-Kings

-A less expensive but also less effective tool for grabbing loose undercoat is the Kong Zoom Groom. It's a tacky rubber tool that holds loose coat and can also be used while bathing (if dog is relatively short-coated) and is fantastic for brushing hair off fabric. It eventually absorbs oils from the coat, but a quick wash will make it tacky again.

To help with the poor, overworked vacuum:

-Change the bags regularly

-Check the filters every time you change the bag. If the filters are dirty, they impede airflow and suction of the vacuum, making it less efficient.

-If you have long hair or your dogs do, turn the vacuum over and check the beater brushes. Unscrew the plate covering the edges and have a look-see. Once long hair wraps itself around the beater brush, it can't turn any longer and will not work well. You may need scissors to clip hair that's wrapped around the beater brush. But once the beater brush has been liberated, the vacuum should work better!

#2 JessiesGirl, May 11, 2010
    Last edited: May 11, 2010
    GSDlover4ever likes this.
  3. cheekyscrip

cheekyscrip Pitchfork blaster

maybe extra grooming what grows on the dog? I always wondered if it is not more logical to hoover the dog thus cutting the middle man (sofa,carpet etc...):D

4. dexter

dexter PetForums VIP

just bought the Dyson 27 animal vacuum. very impressed with it. picks up all the hairs and dust. only downside is i do have to clean some hair off the brush each day.

5. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

I've had three Dysons and will never get another one, they have all been great for the first year or so but as soon as the warranty was up they all stopped working. I've had a Bissell lift of for the last four years and it's been brilliant, no loss of suction as long as I keep the filters clean, I wouldn't hesitate to get another one.

Terri

6. Sarahnorris

Sarahnorris Banned

tried it. unsuccessfully! :p

7. chestersmum

chestersmum PetForums Senior

I have a miele cat & dog Hoover. It's brilliant

8. 2Hounds

2Hounds PetForums VIP

I have the Bissell pet eraser model and that's great at getting dirt & hair up and the attachments work well, i wish it was quieter though. I only paid £50 for it so was a bargain as i can't afford £200+ on a vacuum, bissell direct regularly have offers on its various machines.

9. BrucieBonus

Thanks everyone! Jessiegirl, I will definitely try the fish oil suppliments. I'm also going to try the undercoat brush, I have 3 different combs/brushes at the moment and they dont scratch the surface! I've heard good things about the 'Furminator', might give that a go. :)

10. smskar

smskar PetForums Member

I've got a VAX Mach (sorry can't remember the model #) bagless cylinder vacuum cleamer and it is great for removing pet hair from carpets. The downside is that it is very loud and the wheels are very stiff. It has various attachments as most hoovers but the one for cleaning upholstery is particularly good (and loud!).

11. JessiesGirl

JessiesGirl PetForums Senior

I've also heard great things about the Furminator for short coated dogs. :thumbup: My mom uses the Mars Coat King on her English Setters, so I tried it on my dog (hair about 3 inches long) and liked it. But many groomers prefer the Furminator in short-coated dogs.

I'm a big fan of fish oil and especially for any dog who is mainly eating kibble. There are no usable Omega 3s in kibble because the oxidation and heating that is done in producing the kibble makes them useless, and, plant-based Omega 3s can't be converted by dogs into the type they need. Omega 3s are often thought of as skin and coat helpers, but they act as antioxidants and anti-inflammatories throughout the body and therefore help with coat and skin, heart and brain health, allergies and arthritis.

12. lisa0307

lisa0307 PetForums VIP

I wouldn't bother with anything that's made by Vax...had three different models and all of them went within the first year of buying them...all had the same problem, the motors blew up...customer services suck and they now have a service where if they break down under warranty you call Vax instead of taking it back to the shop where you bought it from...all well and good you may say but they take the damn thing away and it could be gone for up to two weeks and they may still charge you for the repair...as you can tell, I wasn't having any of it with the last Vax I bought after it died on me and took it back to Argos and stood my ground until they gave me a refund..bloody cheek, I know my rights and it was Argos I bought it from not Vax, so Argos are resposible...and it was only three months old...young man on Argos customer services said that three months was good for a vacuum...:eek:THREE MONTHS GOOD! ...Never again, bought a bissell and it's excellent :thumbup:

13. Polimba

Polimba PetForums VIP

Miele Cat & Dog...they are excellent, and they always win the Which Best Buy Awards.

This is my second Milele, the first I had 15 years and passed to my niece and it's still going strong.

I find the Furminators really good I use ours on our Ridgeback and very long coated Ragdoll cat.

14. BrucieBonus

Just thought I would post an update...decided to splash out on a Miele cat and dog vacuum. It is an expense but if you go on their website you can buy a 10 year warranty for £30, so guaranteed for 10 years at least. Was a bit sceptical (and worried because of the cost) because my house is a hairy nighmare at the moment and wasnt 100% sure even after reading all the reviews. We got it yesterday and so so pleased! All fur gone from the carpet in one go. A room that used to take half an hour to do (and still hair covered after) now takes 5 mins to be completely spotless, its great! I know its incredibly sad to be happy about a vacuum, but if your fed up with a furry house and not sure what to buy, go for this one!

15. Taylors Petfoods

Taylors Petfoods PetForums Junior

HI,
    you could try using a CarPet hair remover.
    its a bright orange square tube which you simply brush the carpet with. i've seen one demonstrated and they work fairly well.
    If you type 'carpet hair remover' into google it should come up in the shopping area. You should be able to get one for around £5.
    Hope this helps.

16. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

I think Dyson are the best for dog hairs. I know they are expensive and you need a degree in mechanical engineering if the new Dyson Ball machines clog up but I've tried loads of different makes and always come back to Dyson.

17. Terr

Terr PetForums Senior

Miele Cat & Dog all the way. It's the best appliance I own.

18. Sam1309

Sam1309 PetForums VIP

i got a vax last month half price in tesco.

it was half price and i love it, lifts the hair fab! i have also now got a furminator which helps witht the casting

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice