Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pet food causing heart disease in dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Linda Buchan, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Linda Buchan

Linda Buchan PetForums Newbie

I lost my dog recently to heart disease and have two other dogs aged 9 and 6. I read an article recently saying that there is investigations into some grain free pet foods that have lentils, peas, potato in them that maybe the cause and they are researching them now in the States. This concerns me as most of the dog foods have some or all of these ingredients in them. I think it would be too costly for me to feed raw as both my dogs are a fair size. However, I was wondering what other people know about this and if they have any suggestions as to what is safe for dogs to eat. My dogs are both on James Wellbeloved and have been for some time. They also have step up canned meat added to their kibble every day. What do other people think about this news? I'd be glad of any opinions or advice. Thanks

2. ad6mly

ad6mly PetForums Junior

When I read it it seemed like it was done by some other dog food company trying to give them some bad pr. I think you should definitely look at a human-grade diet though or something that doesn't go through the really bad extrusion process that kibble goes through

wee man likes this.
  3. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I would ignore it. Every day there is a study in to some thing or other that is going to kill our pets or ourselves and the next day another study telling us the same thing is wonderfully good for us.

4. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Why is extrusion bad?

To the OP these two articles might be useful. The first one talks about the scare you are worried about
    https://thesciencedog.com/2018/08/30/the-heart-of-the-matter/

The second, shows there really isn't any science behind the claims most people state about raw feeding, so if you don't want to there really is no point
    https://thesciencedog.com/2019/05/15/the-raw-deal/

Both articles are by a qualified animal nutritionist and not one that claims to know things with very little study.

5. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

@lullabydream the raw food one is really interesting and totally makes sense. After all humans are told to be careful with storage of raw meat and to make sure chicken is thoroughly cooked. As far as I know a lot of cases of e coli or salmonella can be traced to contamination with raw meat or insufficient cooking so why on earth would anyone think that raw dog food would not contain the same bacteria. Scary!

6. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

I have to agree with you Blitz hubby managed to get Campylorbactor preparing the dogs raw:(

lullabydream likes this.
  7. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

oh no, that is awful. It is a nasty one too. It can cause abortion in cows so presumably in humans too.

8. lullabydream

@Blitz the main argument have seen about this with raw food and bacteria is kibble contains bacteria too...which is true..bacteria, viruses, fungi, surround us everywhere it's pretty obvious that there is no escaping it.

I use prepacked raw as a main, so follow basic food hygiene, very similar to what I was trained to do so at work. Once raw food has been consumed the bowl gets to be washed quickly etc, as you wouldn't leave a raw meat board to fester per se...or shouldn't but then i wouldn't be too worried about kibble bowls being removed etc....all though I wash my dog bowls daily anyway but then I know that's not a priority to everyone.

9. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

He got it at the start of May he wasn't back eating properly until about 9 weeks after antibiotics made no difference and he has also had to have iron injections for a while after but is now on iron tablets he lost just under 2 stone in weight but is still not quite right now:(
    I have to say we discinfected all surfaces after preparing our dogs food although we did DIY raw so there was quite a bit of cutting and the such involved but all surfaces etc were thoroughly cleaned afterwards my dogs bowls are submerged in boiling water with a little bleach and washing up liquid after every meal .It wasn't our cleanliness which caused hubby to be so ill we were just unlucky:(

#9 niamh123, Aug 16, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    lullabydream likes this.
  10. lullabydream

You were definitely unlucky @niamh123 I don't do pre packed raw, dogs still have bones...I used to batch cook so in reality that's no different using various meats for my family at the time to do a weekly menu. I did lots of one pot type of things easier to reheat...many families do it's really no different to prepping premade raw....I don't know if you read the article but the onus wasn't so much on the people such as you at the end of the line but the food chain too. It's based more in America, but it's questions people should be asking suppliers. Reading between the lines the bigger picture of transporting the raw will it fall foul of being defrosted etc, making the raw food more 'dangerous'. Stuff like that in the supply chain. Linda P Case is excellent at her information but it's the 'bigger picture' she's actually sharing and what you extrapolate from the article.

11. ad6mly

ad6mly PetForums Junior

Extrusion is known to reduce the nutritional value of the ingredients included, and then you see kibble factories pouring poor quality food in to these machines, like maggot filled meat in some of the worst cases

12. lullabydream

Maggot filled meat? Stop scaremongering!

13. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

I'd just like to add that no studies have been done to check the link between grain free (peas, lentils, etc, etc...) and heart disease YET.
    All we know is that more research needs to be done to see if there is an actual link or not.

I'm just going to pop this up for those that believe kibble is the spawn of Satan https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/articles/dry-dog-food-the-cost-of-convenience.php

Not all kibbles are created equally and IMO I'd prefer to see more people on kibble than feeding raw diets lacking in nutrition ;)

14. ad6mly

ad6mly PetForums Junior

That's what i've been told from people who've worked there themselves

15. lullabydream

Do you believe in the tooth fairy too?

Blitz and Sacremist like this.
  16. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

pretty much like Macdonalds then

niamh123 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice