Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pet dogs fighting help please

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Edward morra, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Edward morra

Edward morra PetForums Newbie

Hi i am about to dogsit my cousins dogs. They are about to go on a trip to vancouver canada and we both agree for me to take care of the dogs. 1 of them has 2 dogs and the other has 4 two adults and 2 newborns. The problem is the male from one ownere and the male from the other do not get along very well. They will start barking and even fighting sometimes when they see each other. U see the dad of the two newborns is a bit annoying to other dogs he hogs all the attention too playful and will just keep staring and agrovating the other male dog until he gets mad. The other male dog has an anger issue and is very aggressive. So how do i stop them from fighting each other. I cant really seperate them that much as i need to keep an eye at them please help and thank you. Ps they do get along sometimes

2. bunnygeek

bunnygeek PetForums Senior

Honestly I wouldn't dog sit both sets of dogs at the same time. It sounds like a liability. What if they do fight and you end up with emergency vet trips? What if you or someone else in your house gets hurt trying to split them up? It's just a huge amount of stress for humans and dogs combined.

3. Ian246

Ian246 PetForums Senior

My view: the only solution IS to seperate them. If the dogs don't get on they should not be left together. The reasons for their antipathy could be various and it's too complex to try and resolve on this forum (for me anyway.) If your cousins are aware of the problem, they should make other arrangements. Sorry - I realise that's not a helpful answer (to you and your cousins) but you all are taking a great risk by putting dogs together who you know may fight.

Burrowzig, kimthecat, O2.0 and 2 others like this.
  4. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

They need to be kept separate imo.

Frankly, it’s a bad arrangement to have them all together, especially if there are very young pups in the mix.

I’d be telling the cousin with 2 dogs to make other arrangements as the pups need more hands on care.

I’m surprised the owners are leaving new born pups tbh :(

Burrowzig, PennyP, Torin. and 2 others like this.
  5. Edward morra

Thanks for the comment but they had already paid and ive spent the money on a new pc already so im kinda a stuck also forgot to mention idk what breed they are but they are small dogs like not as small as a chuawawa but small

6. bunnygeek

If you really want to keep them all while your cousins are away the ONLY way that's fair for all of them is to keep them split up within the house with a network of door gates and pens. Without coming and sitting watching them and being a qualified behaviourist, there's no other way.

7. Edward morra

Thanks for the comment but ive spent the money they had paid me already and kind of stuck.
    Also the pups were un planned they already booked tickets not knowing sam was pregnant and realise the dog was givung birth while they were at home

8. Edward morra

T
    Thanks i think ill just seperate them like u and other people had said i will use dog doors to keep them seperated

kimthecat likes this.
  9. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Keep them separate then.

Edward morra likes this.
  10. Edward morra

Thank you very much this is very helpful and i believe this is the plan im going with unless we can get a trainer to train them

11. Edward morra

Y
    Yeah thats what ill be doing thank you

12. bunnygeek

Training would take months and cost loads, not really helpful in a dog-sitting situation. With newborn puppies in the mix, it's not worth the risk, especially for poor mum dog.

13. Edward morra

Thank you all for the replys i cant veleive how fast and helpfull this forum is honestly the best

14. Edward morra

Oh ok then i will just keep them seperated thank you

15. bunnygeek

Also with newborns in the home, you need to make sure the other dogs are fully up to date on vaccinations. Would be pretty awful if they were to pass something avoidable to the puppies.

kimthecat and Edward morra like this.
  16. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Another vote to separate. Set up a system of baby gates, pens, and crates and simply keep different families of dogs away from each other. It's not worth the potential vet bills or worse. It's not hard on a short-term basis to keep a house full of dogs completely separate, especially given they're relatively small dogs. And in the long-run it will be much easier, far fewer headaches.

17. Edward morra

Yeah they are up to date i checked myself thanks

18. Edward morra

Yeah your absolutely right thank you all so much

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice