Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pet cat love to eat vegetables??

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Paw Campus, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Paw Campus

Paw Campus PetForums Junior

My cousin's cat loves to eat cooked eggplant, carrot, beetroot and potato's. Is it good for its health??

2. Ali71

Ali71 PetForums VIP

Cats are obligate carnivores, their dietary requirement is via meat (i.e. animal protein and fats).

Occasionally my cat will eat a bit of mashed vegetable, (half teaspoon), either if it's included in the high quality canned food they get, or as a treat. But they should not make up the mainstay of a cats diet as they would become quite ill.

Paw Campus likes this.
  3. Babyshoes

Babyshoes PetForums Senior

A little of these types of foods as a treat won't harm the cat, but as mentioned above are not needed nutritionally, and of course the danger is that if the cat fills up on veg it won't eat enough of it's meat food for proper nutrition.

Think of it like a child with biscuits - you'd let a child have one or two after school, but not a whole packet because then they may not want their supper...

Paw Campus likes this.
  4. Shrike

Shrike Brooke's faithful manservant

Cats will eat the half digested vegetables they find in their prey. So cooked veg will be pretty similar. Though only a little really unless you give some sort of supplement to make up for the missing meat. Some veg is poisonous to cats though - like onions and garlic.

Paw Campus likes this.
  5. sidevalve

sidevalve Banned

As an only diet not good but in the real world where real cats live if it likes it as an 'occasional extra' I can't see any worries.. All of ours have enjoyed the odd 'strange' item and all seem to have lived long happy lives.

Paw Campus likes this.
  6. Paw Campus

Paw Campus PetForums Junior

Hi all
    Tq 4r all ur suggestions...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice