Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pet breeder

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by rona, Jul 29, 2009.

1. rona

rona Guest

Met a lady yesterday while out on our walk, I know her vaguely.
    She has three Labradors. One neutered black dog and two chocolate bitches.
    She had a litter last year from the older bitch, successfully reared and had homes waiting. She is now planning to breed from the younger bitch, which is one of last years pups.
    It will not be until the beginning of next year when the bitch will be two.
    This lady does all the health tests available and keeps an eye on the ancestry of her dogs, just incase any problems come to light health wise. She already has several homes lined up for the planned litter.
    She does not show these dogs, neither does she work them, and to be perfectly honest, they are not the greatest looking Labs that I have seen, BUT this lady does as much as she possible can to make sure her pups have the best start in life and the best chance of a long healthy life.
    In your opinion should someone like this be breeding?

2. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

Thats a hard one.But im going to say no.People that breed to improve the breed or to work them are getting enough stick off people at the moment for breeding as it is!

If she doesnt show or work her dogs then what are her reasons for breeding!?

3. rona

rona Guest

I think it's a bit of a hobby for her,she really loves her dogs and looks after them well.
    Why shouldn't she breed if she covers all the bases, health checks and homes lined up?
    The puppies won't suffer because of her breeding

4. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

Its just my views..After all you said your self people should'nt be breeding at the min even people that do it resposnibly and do it to work or show there dogs..Because of the credit crunch and the amount of dogs in rescues!

I have never really understood the need to breed as a hobby anyway maybe thats why i dont think people should be!

5. rona

rona Guest

Not really asking about now, but the principle of why she should/should not breed.
    I could not see that she is doing any harm to any individual dog, either hers or the pups she produces.

6. Dundee

Dundee Banned

No, but the breed will if the bitches are poor examples. Does she use quality studs to improve on her girls?

TBH, it's not something I would recommend or do, but am realistic that not only does it happen (and it is a free world), but that in reality, all the reputable experienced show/working breeders in the country could not actually supply the demand for puppies in a popular breed like labradors, so would much rather a pet buyer went to someone like this than a byb or puppy farmer.

7. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

Right i see..I didnt say she is doing any harm to any of her dog.
    you said her dogs werent nice examples of the breed so as a whole the breed will suffer in the long run

I just honestly dont see the need!

8. Baby Bordie

Baby Bordie PetForums VIP

Well IMO she isnt doing anything wrong, If its a hobby of hers, and she does it well, has good and loving family's waiting for the pups, then there is no problem at all with it....

9. rona

rona Guest

The question of the stud was the only one that I didn't ask.

They aren't the best but not the worst either, but they are healthy, surely this is one of the main aims when breeding, that you breed healthy pups.
    Why is showing or working any different, it is still a hobby?

10. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

There isnt just one factor to think about breeding yes health is one of the important ones but so is the breed stanard and a lot of things!

Yes but you are breeding to do something..your aiming to better the breed and keep a pup to run on..

Let me just ask does she keep a puppy out of every litter she has had! and will she keep a pup out of every futhur litter!!!

11. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

i think its fine what she is doing but i would at least get her dogs get checked by an experienced breeder or someone who knows the breed to see if the dogs are of good standard.....

... i dont see the need to show or work to breed. Showing is more of a hobby than a "must" to breed....

12. rona

rona Guest

She kept one out of the last litter, not sure about the next.
    In my opinion her Labs are far better than most that are supposed to fit the breed standard and are fat waddling things that could never do a days work, that you see in the show ring

13. rona

rona Guest

But to who's standard, I would never want a show person telling me what a good Lab looked like

14. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

ur kinda right there...as its always down to the persons preferences.
    TBH for me health comes first before anything else.
    And of course u dont want to breed a dog with faults, like missing teeth or exagerrated parts etc....thats where i would have someone looked at the dog to rule out those faults at least.

15. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Difficult one!

I would say No as well,I can spot the poorly bred staffords a mile off,A neighbour brought one a few years back,I said to O/H after seeing it that it wasn't very well bred and would be questionable if it was even registered.I did eventually find out that No it wasn't registered,no papers etc,it is questionable if it is infact a purebred SBT.

It's a nice dog,however it doesn't really resemble the breed and by continuing to breed from poor examples you loose breed type and quality.
    So a few generations down the line and you end up with what ?

16. Molly's Mum

Molly's Mum PetForums VIP

I am a little confused as to this thread, I am sure it was about 10 days ago that you posted "anyone who breeds a litter at the moment is disgusting and if they try to justify the litter they are talking out of their a**e"

17. The voice of reason has arrived folks!!! as per special request by Nina ! am being very very nice!!!:):)

Here goes!!!

Firstly taking out of the equasion the fact that the dogs are not the 'most attractive' and are therefore not complementary to the breed then we have to ask WHY is this lady breeding! Because to be honest a 'hobby' imo is NOT a reason to breed! at least NOT with the econmic climate being as it is today!

Then, we have to ask! does this lady have a list of people who want these dogs! or does she breed and then advertise the dogs later,

OR is she in fact breeding in the hope that she will breed a 'little blinder' that she is going to keep! Because if this is the reason then it would maybe be easier and cheaper in the long run to go out and buy such a dog from a good breeder!

And finally, is there the slighest chance that money could be a little incentive here!

There!
    See I can be very very nice when I want to be!
    regards
    DT

18. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

People show as part of bettering the breed well imo anyway..If you are trying to better the breed then showing comes part and parcel with breeding..
    On the working side i can not comment as i am not involved in it or ever have been!!

To me there is no excuse to breed as a "Hobby"..I would never go to a pet breeder for a dog because i would want to question why they are breeding from there "pets" and as of yet i have never heard of a good answer! to justifie it!

Are the dogs she uses KC reged??? Because if i sold a dog as a pet i would be very angry and upset to learn that the dog was being breed from as a "hobby"

#18 DevilDogz, Jul 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2009
  19. Dundee

Dundee Banned

But only one of them, and equal importance should be applied to health and type.

The main difference is experience and knowledge. We all think our pets are the best thing since sliced bread, but it is only by comparing them to others that you can make an impartial judgement. I'm not going to go into the show/working debate, show are not to my taste, I find them overdone, however the breed standard is not there to dictate exactly what a dog should look like, it is a guide to explaining the correct confirmation that will enable the dog to function well. Health tests are IMO imperative, but they are not the be all and end all and structure also plays a part. For example, an incorrect stifle and angulation can make a dog prone to crutiate damage.

The other is that you have a pool of knowledgeable people to get guidance from, many with many years experience. A pet breeder does not have this - although going to an experience and reputable stud will help. There will be greater ease in selling puppies as breeders tend to pass on potential puppy owners to others they know are expecting or planning litters.

In reality, most showbred and working bred puppies do end up in pet homes which means there are many quality pets which would benefit the gene pool if they were bred from, however, many are poor quality and will not.

If you compare how canids in the wild reproduce, they do not do it willy nilly with any old female having litters, it is only the alpha females that breed with the alpha males. Many health problems have come to the surface because of indiscriminate breeding and this is far more common in the pet bred dog.

20. Great post Dundee! But one area I would maybe sway against! The pet breeder! If I ever did breed (IF) I could only ever be considered a 'pet breeder' as there would only ever be one litter!! BUT I am 100% confident that I would say that any litter would be breed with far far more knowledge of the breed the many so called 'proffessional' breeders!
    DT

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice