UK Pet Forums Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts
Wish I had seen this earlier after losing our eldest girl last week :(

Some very useful information in their leaflet illustrating the roller-coaster of emotion I'm currently on is "perfectly normal" (whatever that means)

After telling those closest to us - and posting to friends on FB as I couldn't bear going over it time and again - I've still not been able to put it into words to post elsewhere or to thank so many people :(

My work for the last 4 years has been based around End of Life Care - but working with staff who of course face their own challenges - interestingly, I found it a great help sometimes when working with these teams to help me deal with losing my dad.

It seems to be a very different story when you lose a pet as many people are sorry - but if they don't have pets - they don't necessarily grasp the depth of emotional ties you experience, particularly when it happens suddenly - so it's good to know there are services out there and those with the strength of courage to be able to help others by volunteering -

Both sites have been bookmarked here

Thank you both for highlighting them

I used this help line after I lost my last dog. I couldn't speak, it was impossible so I e-mailed. A lovely lady e-mailed me regularly and said I could carry on the contact for as long as I needed. I don't know if anyone else has felt this way but I felt terrible signing the form to have him pts. He was very ill and nothing could be done but I felt as if I had killed him. Still makes me cry now. :sad:
Dot. We had to have our handsome Harry pts two days ago. We feel guilty too but he had no quality of life left in him. He had been fighting diabetes since August 2015 lost loads of weight and it was the fact that he lost all the muscle in his legs that he couldn't stand up, walk or toilet by himself without us supporting him. We had no choice in having him pts really but we still feel guilty, asking ourselves have we done the right thing etc but him having no quality of life was the right decision. We're devastated and heartbroken of course and miss him dearly. The house is so quiet without him.

I wrote to the Blue Cross Bereavement Service over the weekend telling them of my loss on Thursday and had a somewhat bizarre reply from them today. The lady just rewrote my own email and sent it back to me. There wasn't any actual advice or suggestions.

I lost my beautiful companion 8 days ago. He was fine the night before. I awoke to his barking and found vomit everywhere took him to emergency room. They tried to rehydrate him. The dr was concerned about his intestines. I left him and I got home the dr called and said he had a heart attack. I went back I saw him in Icu. He responded to me his intubation tube came out and vitals were going up. I feel so guilty for not pts .I feel selfish and guilty. I gave him a chance. Then he had a heart attack 20 minutes later. Can anyone relate?

There is always guilt when a pet passes, guilt and terrible sorrow. You did what you thought was best for your boy, so don't beat yourself up. He's at peace now, and free from any pain.

I lost my beautiful companion 8 days ago. He was fine the night before. I awoke to his barking and found vomit everywhere took him to emergency room. They tried to rehydrate him. The dr was concerned about his intestines. I left him and I got home the dr called and said he had a heart attack. I went back I saw him in Icu. He responded to me his intubation tube came out and vitals were going up. I feel so guilty for not pts .I feel selfish and guilty. I gave him a chance. Then he had a heart attack 20 minutes later. Can anyone relate?
I'm so sorry for your loss you done everything you could .I had to get my 15 week old puppy put to sleep nearly 4 weeks ago.I feel so guilty, there was nothing the vet could do .I feel we have to realise out beloved animals getting pts is a way of stopping any suffering your wee boy sounded like he got best of care so you have nothing to feel guilty about .we made sure ruby had all her jags etc I think she must have caught something but only place she had been was carried about and at vets she had fits that got worse and worse i suffer with anxiety i stay with parents so they have insurance to sort she had 4 week free petplan before it ran out continued policy but I don't know yet if it paying out because it happened in first week of new policy hope it pays out okay the grief is enough to deal with .they already want another puppy too scared in case it was something she caught and it lying ready to strike another puppy.I know if they get 1 if they don't go with petplan it would probably mean they refused to pay out so petrified of another dying puppy in the house

I'm so sorry for your loss you done everything you could .I had to get my 15 week old puppy put to sleep nearly 4 weeks ago.I feel so guilty, there was nothing the vet could do .I feel we have to realise out beloved animals getting pts is a way of stopping any suffering your wee boy sounded like he got best of care so you have nothing to feel guilty about .we made sure ruby had all her jags etc I think she must have caught something but only place she had been was carried about and at vets she had fits that got worse and worse i suffer with anxiety i stay with parents so they have insurance to sort she had 4 week free petplan before it ran out continued policy but I don't know yet if it paying out because it happened in first week of new policy hope it pays out okay the grief is enough to deal with .they already want another puppy too scared in case it was something she caught and it lying ready to strike another puppy.I know if they get 1 if they don't go with petplan it would probably mean they refused to pay out so petrified of another dying puppy in the house

I had to put my baby girl to sleep a few days ago I know I had to say goodbye to her so she couldn't be in anymore pain I am devastated I miss her so much I had her since she was 12weeks old had her for 11years saying goodbye was really hard but knowing she isn't in anymore pain gets me by miss you so so much XXX

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.