Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pests in my cockroach tank?

Discussion in 'Insects , Snails and other exotic pets' started by Karis, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Karis

Karis PetForums Newbie

I have a tank with 4 male hissers in, I also have a few tropical orange woodlice in as a cleanup crew.
    Over the last few weeks, I've noticed almost every time I put in fruit or vegetables there are little white bugs on the food when I go to take it out. The first few times I just thought it was baby woodlice. But now I'm not so sure as I think even baby woodlice start out bigger than these? I've also noticed quite a few dead woodlice as well!

I have another tank with 4 giant african land snails that also have orange woodlice which are thriving. There must be thousands of the little isopods!

Are they a pest or should I leave them?
    IMG_3514.JPG
    Any help is appreciated :)

#1 Karis, Jan 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  2. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

They are either springtails or food mites. Either way, they are harmless to your roaches and snails. They just appear and unless you buy predatory mites to keep numbers down, there isnt much you can do to stop them appearing.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice