Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Personally, I find this upsetting. .

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Cookielabrador, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Cookielabrador

Cookielabrador PetForums Member

So I was walking Cookie with a friend of mine in the woods earlier today, and we came across 3 German Shepherds and a Staffie. Every time my friend saw a German Shepherd, she was very reluctant to walk down the path and insisted on taking a different route through the woods to avoid the German Shepherd. I agreed but tried to persuade her only a small amount of German Shepherds are aggressive, and it's about how you raise and train them. She reacts the same way with any Staffie. I can understand how she could be nervous, but it's a shame, as so many GSD and Staffies are really sweet. :(
    Has anyone else had similar experiences?

Salt And Pepper likes this.
  2. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Just from another point of view I avoid GSD because Sox is nervous of them as he is with bigger dogs so is it the breed or just trying to avoid putting her dog in a stressful situation. Lots of dog owners will call out to me that their dogs do not like boxers so avoid us ( we don't mind we like our own company!)

lorilu, Lurcherlad and Chatcat like this.
  3. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Alfie used to hate Boxers, along with Black Labs, far too many had run into him or jumped on him in the exuberant way they do.
    After he reached the age of 10 and had a dodgy knee, I avoided all big dogs if possible.

I must admit to being more careful around certain breeds, but that has stemmed from personal experience. Around here, I always avoid Weimaraners, There is someone breeding them with very worrying temperaments

lorilu and Lurcherlad like this.
  4. Bugsys grandma

Bugsys grandma PetForums VIP

I try to avoid staffies, not because I don't like them, in fact I think most of them are lovely little dogs, but because for some reason Woody has a real problem with them, he becomes very anxious around them and not happy at all. I would imagine it stems from something that happened before he came to us, when he was a stray.

lorilu and Lurcherlad like this.
  5. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Timber is uncomfortable with broad fronted dogs (staffies, bulldogs, mastiffs etc) and someone here - maybe @O2.0 - suggested that broad fronted dogs appear to have a very direct, face-on approach and that can be intimidating in canine body language. Nothing to do with the dog itself, just it's shape. Maybe Woody sees that @Bugsys grandma ?

Bugsys grandma and Lurcherlad like this.
  6. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I love both GSDs and staffies but I am always aware of them and watching body language if I see them. They can either be aggressive or far too full on though of course most are fine. I have to admit that when I am at the holiday cottage and meet lots of dogs on walks I have only met 3 iffy dogs and one was a GSD and one a staffie.

Lurcherlad and Cookielabrador like this.
  7. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

I tend to avoid GSDs. I dont have anything againest them its just that the majority seem very focused on their owners and not really interested in socializing!

My dogs dont really avoid particular breed of dog, its more a type they cant stand. Being so tiny they really hate dogs that are bouncy/rude. They will be much happier with a calm great dane then with an over the top JRT!

Cookielabrador and rona like this.
  8. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

I was sat in a cafe recently and started watching a GSD who had come in with its owner. The dog was so obviously friendly threat free and viewed everyone as a possible friend who would stroke him. It was interesting to see how many came in and looked at the dog and avoided him. As we left I made a beeline for him and asked the owner if I could stoke the dog which she was more then happy about. The GSD was just lovely and thoroughly enjoyed a great deal of fuss and leaned happily against my legs. I hope others in the cafe noticed and realised that a few minutes watching the dogs demeanour and body language could have told them a lot about him.
    Which is what I do when out and about, I watch the dog coming towards me, doesn’t matter what breed all can be as equally friendly as they are unpleasant. However I’m also aware that some dogs don’t get on well with other dogs and will not appreciate an over friendly golden wanting to overwhelm them with love.
    Whilst out with Isla recently we met a couple coming along with a little black spaniel. Isla was on a lead due to the sheep so I just let her sniff noses which the owners of the spaniel were happy about. As we walked past the spaniel suddenly whipped round and literally screech at Isla to b...... off, must admit Isla’s face was a picture. I had the feeling things might end this way just by how suspicious the spaniel was behaving towards Isla and given more room on the footpath would have moved over more and allowed no nose sniffing even.
    Everyone has different views on dog breeds and their appearances largely driven by experience and what’s depicted in the media. GSD's are often shown as guard dogs flashing their teeth and growling ferociously, staffs are always just about to attack little dogs or your children. We know that most dogs are not like that at all, just the few, but those are the ones in the media and the whole breed is unfairly maligned. Such a shame. But if someone feels this way then just avoiding them is fine by me.

lorilu, Bugsys grandma, Sairy and 8 others like this.
  9. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

As an owner of two 2 GSD's I am quite happy if people actively avoid us as I am unsociable old cow!! :D

10. Chatcat

Chatcat PetForums Senior

It's possibly because GSDs are used as police dogs. They are supposed to be intimidating. It is a bit of a shame because the local GSD is a total sweetie, much more friendly than my 'friendly' collie.

Bugsys grandma and Lurcherlad like this.
  11. XemzX

XemzX PetForums VIP

I completely agree with everything you have said. I have done a similar thing to yourself when you noticed the GSD in the cafe though with a staffy. We were on our local walk and passed a lady with two smaller dogs who warned us there was a staffy a bit further down. I asked her if it was out of control/agressive and she made a comment about the breed in general being untrustworthy. We continued our walk and bumped into said staffy who from observing was a typical friendly staffy. I asked if I could say hello and the owner was more than happy for me to. It even greeted Jonesy politely. I hoped at the time the lady who had warned us noticed!
    I do think the media, sadly has a negative impact of peoples opinions of certain breeds.
    How a dog looks certainly has an impact too. I often notice that people are more wary of Jonesy than Addy. They see a large, poweful black dog. Yet of the two, Jonesy is the sweetest and most gentle dog who is always up for a cuddle whereas Addy is more reserved and would rather be left alone.

12. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Interestingly I also look at the human when deciding if we should avoid or walk past if they are not watching their dog ambling along on their phone I'm more likely to change my route.

13. magpi

magpi PetForums Senior

Just thought I,d share a funny story from a few years ago. I,m a carer in the community and we used to go to a couple who had a GSD. We were there for the wife and hubby was told to put Ben the dog in the bedroom when we were attending. One evening we went to put the lady to bed, we were downstairs and heard the bed room door open. Ben comes trotting in, tail wagging and happy to see us butter wouldn,t melt. Hubby hadn,t fastened the door properly when he went to the pub and Ben could open doors. All was well until we came to leave, when he stood in front of the front door and growled at us. the lady then informed us Ben will happily let people in but won,t let them leave. Well, we decided to entice him back upstairs with biscuits,threw one in the bedroom and quickly closed the door ,securing it by wrapping the ladies tights around the banister. He was a good guard dog and obviously protecting his owner who called him Gentle Ben

14. Cookielabrador

Cookielabrador PetForums Member

I would say that it's about how you raise and train the dig, not the breed itself. Such a shame, though, Staffies and GSD are usually lovely :(

Bugsys grandma likes this.
  15. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

I avoid many dogs, sadly Labs are high on the list as my dogs have been flattened on countless occasions by out of control over exuberant labs, plus one use to chase us as kids, I also give collies a wide berth as I struggle to read their body language at times.

16. picaresque

picaresque Mongrelist

Although I generally avoid all strange dogs on walks where possible I'll admit to being more wary of unknown bull breeds (especially with littledog Toby and especially after that poor beagle in Manchester). If it's just me I have no fear at all but with the dog/s I can get worried.

When I had Gracie GSD there were two types of people we came across regularly - grown men crossing the road to avoid us and people literally dragging their children away, and the ones who made a big show of not being scared of the Alsatian by accosting us in the street.

17. Nettles

Nettles PetForums VIP

I’m the same with collies. Most owners round here seem to think it’s fine to let their collies stalk and herd people and other dogs because “that’s what collies do” but I find it really unnerving. Phoebe is scared of most dogs, but bizarrely she really loves collies and she thinks it’s great fun when they herd her while she chases a ball :rolleyes:

18. Rott lover

Rott lover once you go black and tan you never come back

I have owned many a rotts and I have had this experience more times than I can count. Just from the other side. More often than not rotts get avoided. I have seen people crossing streets just to avoid a chance of contact.

19. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

When Bungo was a pup he was attacked by a white terrier, so now he is wary of any dog that is white, or mainly white, a couple of years ago a white german shepherd moved in to a neighbouring property and while I love GSs and would love to own one if circumstances were different, Bungo would make it perfectly clear that he was scared, unfortunately she wasn't very well trained and managed to run out the house and chased Bungo once, while I could tell that she was friendly and only wanted to play it terrified Bungo of course. The owner got funny with me and when I tried to explain that Bungo would react that way towards any white dog, the owner was going on about it's because she's a GS etc etc. It was very upsetting :(

20. DolomiTTe

DolomiTTe Kitty Collector

GSD's have had a bad reputation in the past unfortunately (as have many breeds). I think a lot of people associate them with police dogs and think they're going to get chased after and bitten, not realising that police dogs are extensively trained to do this. I handle an ex police dog and he's so loving and cuddly, but when 'switched on' he's a beast!

I've owned two German Shepherd's, and often found people to be frightened/wary when we were out for walks (small dog owners have even picked their dogs up as I approached). I always made sure mine were on a lead out of courtesy for others because of this, even though they were the friendliest dogs you could ever meet. It used to make me laugh that it was always the tiny dogs that would have a go at mine as we passed!

I'm not afraid of any breed of dog, although I am frightened to death of human children/babies!! :Hilarious

Bugsys grandma, rona and Boxer123 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice