Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Persistent cough help

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Blackcat2000, May 25, 2020.

1. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

Haha, she's 110% cat, got you both well trained :D

2. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

Good news re antibiotics

Clever Emma training her slaves so well, keep them on their toes Em :Hilarious

3. Blackcat2000

Blackcat2000 PetForums Junior

We have hit a bit of disappointment... off I went to collect the anti biotics and upon arrival they wouldn't prescribe them for her. The vet had discussed it with another vet and they want to try her on steroids on the basis of it possibly be asthma that is possibly aggravated by an allergy. I'm not sure I've seen that they can be quite damaging, she supposedly has a low dose so I'm gunna keep such a close eye on her.
    They have given her prednicare, has anyone any success stories?

4. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Steroids are the treatment of choice for human asthmatics, though usually inhaled. If they make a difference hopefully you will be prescribed an inhaler & spacer, but a one off injection is very unlikely to cause problems

ewelsh likes this.
  5. Blackcat2000

Blackcat2000 PetForums Junior

She has been given tablets to take for a week.... I honestly dont know if shed let me give her an inhaler and as awful as it sounds I actually think shed be happier with the cough than fighting me with it. I dont know if I mentioned on this thread but shes really old (21) and I just want her to be comfortable with as little messing as poss.

ewelsh likes this.
  6. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Forgot her age, sorry. If you want her to be comfortable and steroids help I'd give them

7. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

Agreed, give Em the steroids, they will help rather quickly actually.

Just write everything down daily any issues telephone the vets, but I’m sure there won’t be any issues. You have to put trust in your vets, they don’t want an elderly cat distressed either.

I have steroids occasionally with my asthma in top of inhaler steroids, within hours I feel better! Hope Emma feels better soon x

chillminx likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice