Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Persistent cough help

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Blackcat2000, May 25, 2020.

1. Blackcat2000

Blackcat2000 PetForums Junior

My em has had a cough that wont budge for the last 3 years since having a tooth taken out. The cough has never gotten any worse neither better in that time and the vets have always seemed to fob me off with it.
    However a few months ago she had antibiotics due to a uti and the cough disappeared completely by the second day. It came back about 2 weeks after the anti biotics were finished again exactly the same as before.
    The last few weeks weve had abs turmoil but at the min everything seems ok. During this time weve had a week on anti biotics and again cough disappeared only to come back.
    The cough seems to make her uncomfortable more so since it went, I'm going to ring the vets in the morn but does anyone know what it could be? Shes had two courses on anti biotics since and both times clear it only for it to come back.

2. Blackcat2000

3. Silverdoof

Silverdoof PetForums Member

I wonder is it allergy related? Take that video and show your vet. She does look uncomfortable bless her

Calvine likes this.
  4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

It could be an allergy, or asthma perhaps.

Which antibiotic was prescribed? If it was a broad spectrum one it may not be killing all the specific bacteria hence why it soon returns. Ronaxan is an antibiotic specifically aimed at targeting feline upper respiratory infections. Maybe talk to your vet about a course of Ronaxan.

Calvine and ewelsh like this.
  5. Sacremist

Sacremist Mum to 2 cats and a dog

That’s asthma in my opinion, hun. I’ve had 3 cats with asthma and still have two. One of my boys and his mother (now deceased) get secondary infections, a bit like bronchitis, hence the reason why antibiotics clears up the cough, but what is really needed is the asthma spray. Mine are on flixotide inhalers and my friend’s cat was on serotide. It’s administered using an Aerokat chamber.

Sometimes one of my boys needs a course of oral steroids as well, but it still only keeps the cough at bay for a couple of months. My other boy’s asthma is well controlled just with an inhaler.

To diagnose asthma, they need to perform a lung wash and take xrays. My girl who had it even had a ct scan but that was mostly because the first vet she saw misdiagnosed cancer due to finding lesions on her trachea caused by the persistent cough.

#5 Sacremist, May 26, 2020
    Last edited: May 28, 2020
    Calvine likes this.
  6. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

Looking at the video, it does look like asthma, and I see a couple of others have suggested the same in their replies above. I'd show the video to your vet and take it from there.

Sacremist, Calvine and ewelsh like this.
  7. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

Poor Em, back to the vets with the above suggestions. You could buy an air purifier Blue air is good. I have one and they are brilliant

8. Blackcat2000

Thanks all, I've mentioned to the vets loads about asthma but they dont seem to think it is. There due to call me back and I'm hoping theres maybe a better antibiotic as the one she was given (synlux) I believe is fairly broad.
    With everything lately I dont want to put her through loads of tests as she is the most uncooperative when there... I think they honestly believe shes semi feral which is the complete opposite of how she is at home.

ewelsh likes this.
  9. alixtaylor

alixtaylor PetForums VIP

If the antibiotics aren't working then defintely you should keep pushing this with the vets. Asthma isn't diagnosed as such, it's just the ruling out of all other reasons for the cough. In order to know for sure you would need to do an chest x-ray or CT scan and a possibly a biopsy swab. It's worth investigating properly considering if it is asthma then they'll likely be on fluxotide for the rest of their lives (happy and healthy though!).

10. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

For many human asthmatics air 'purifiers' and the like aggravate the condition and are best avoided. Ditto scented candles, scented cat litter, the dust from some litters and so on.

11. Blackcat2000

Granted I know nothing about cat asthma however its immediate disappearance on antibiotics makes me think it must be an infection... just dont understand why a few weeks later it comes back.
    Shes had my life the oast few weeks and I've gone from being told she more than likely has a brain tumour to me just believing shes itchy - this I think is something to do with the garden as its started since shes been sitting out. Although that's all a different story ha
    Little love likes to make me worry. She doesnt seem in any pain as such and is always sprawled out purring away.

ewelsh likes this.
  12. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Good point OS. I have asthma and all those things make it worse for me.

OrientalSlave likes this.
  13. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Yes, Synulox is a broad spectrum antibiotic.

In case you missed it I mentioned Ronaxan in my previous reply - it's the recommended 'go-to' antibiotic for upper respiratory infections in cats. Particularly apt for recurring URI's.

My boy's recurring URI didn't clear up for 6 months on repeat courses of synulox; then he was prescribed Ronaxan and the URI cleared up within a week and he remained clear of further respiratory problems for nearly 2 years.

If he gets URI now it is usually only once a year (Vet says it is probably due to flare ups of FHV1 which he may have had as a young kitten - before I adopted him).

14. Blackcat2000

Didnt get a call back today so I'll ring again tomorrow and deffo mention that thanks chillminx!!
    Hope it's not too long before we can go into vets with them shes getting close to needing her nails done and I like to keep a close eye on her weight. Not only is it depressing weighing myself to then go again holding her but we both seem diff weights all the time. Tough between wanting the lower number for myself but not wanting her to have lost ha

ewelsh and chillminx like this.
  15. KittyNat

KittyNat PetForums Newbie

My cat had a very similar cough to this. The vets thought it was asthma and did all sorts of tests. Turned out it was an infection which cleared up with anti-biotics. Perhaps the ones that your vet has used so far aren't quite the right ones or they weren't taken for long enough to completely clear it up. Maybe worth sending the video to the vet and asking.

16. Blackcat2000

I've pushed for more antibiotics and her vet who is the head of the surgery is going to review it. Shes so old and with everything lately I've promised she doesnt have to go back to be poked and prodded. Hopefully they will try her on either the one mentioned above or something similar. I mean I cant see a great deal of harm in her trying a course.

17. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

Yes this is true @OrientalSlave for me I know my triggers are crop pollen so my blue air with the right filter helps me no end. Asthma is so varied!

18. Sacremist

Sacremist Mum to 2 cats and a dog

Ronaxin is what my boy takes. He needs them, because the asthma causes frequent upper respiratory infections.

chillminx likes this.
  19. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

20. Blackcat2000

Shes currently utterly refusing to come in from the garden and I've been forced to sit with her for now 3 hours. Shes not allowed out on her own and trots about like a little princess. Vets rang this morn and have agreed to try a course of ronaxan. They agreed because of her age at would be better than more tests especially given she would more than likely need sedation and it was awful last time.
    Depending on how the anti biotics go we are going to discuss trying an anti histamine aswell to help her itching. It's not really bad but shes obv aggravated by something.
    Been furloughed I've had so much time with her it's made me realise shes spoilt rotten. Her new past time is waking my partner at 4am to take her in the garden.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice