Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Persisten flea's!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by PoisonGirl, Jul 27, 2009.

1. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Milo is Always covered in flea's!

I noticed a flea on him last week so frontlined him, and I noticed a flea today! He also had a tick that I had to pin him down under a town and get my neighbour to twist out. he also had red sore bits around where the tick was so he is booked in with maisy for a visit to the vets.

But why is he always getting fleas?? What can i do about it?

x

2. dipdog

dipdog PetForums VIP

was a thread on here a few days ago the same someone said garlic was good i did ask how much and how you gave it to them ie food ect but no one replied:(

3. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

My cats get the tip of a teaspoon of garlic granules each every week and Henrick gets half a level teaspoon once a week. Elvis used to be terrible for getting fleas but the garlic really works.

4. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Ok I will try garlic then, but not until after I have seen my vet about Maisy's 'bug/mites' and milos tail :)

x

5. ambercat

ambercat PetForums Senior

Have you used a flea spray for the house to make sure you get rid of any fleas in the environment? i.e. bedding, carpets etc. If not, the life cycle will start all over again and your cat will get re-infested. Make sure you use a product from your vet or one of the online veterinary companies - products like Staykill, Acclaim and Skoosh are all good and you only need to use them once or twice a year. Here's some links to the sprays
    Acclaim Household Flea Spray --- Petremedies

Staykill 500ml House Flea Spray - £10.99

Skoosh household flea spray

By the way, I would avoid garlic. It is in the same family as onions which contain a substance that destroys red blood cells, and can cause a type of anemia (Heinz body anemia). Garlic doesnt contain as much as onions, but its not really known what dosage could cause a problem - so best avoided to be honest.

6. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Yeah, we have. the cat's are only in one room of the house, so we had to do the dogs beds and where the cats sleep too.
    But I do have a feeling they get the fleas from wherever they venture off to!
    So hopefully the garlic will work at keeping the fleas off as i have heard its better if you keep giving it them.

Only problem... How do I give it them as they do not get meat, and don't eat much biscuits either.

x

7. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

Doesnt matter if its only one room you need to do the entire house as they move pretty quick you know!!!

I also read/heard about garlic I gave a tiny bit to my bengals with raw food they wolfed it down but I forgot to id it since!

8. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

If I open a tin of tuna I put the garlic in a bit of that, if not you could get a sachet of meat, they only need a little bit of meat to mix it in with. I do treat the house but only once a year as it is such a pain taking hamsters and mice out and sealing the fish tank but to be honest since I started using the garlic i haven't seen any fleas.

9. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

I use Frontline pipette's on my pets, and 'Indorex' spray in the house every 6 months. I haven't yet had any issue with the evils insects!! lol!! (although i am tempted to try 'Skoosh')

But Garlic does work!! Just be careful not do give your pets too much. I guess it works the same as us humans!

Mozzies loved my blood when i was little but since i add garlic to everyting and anything (i absolutely love the stuff!! Mmmmm!) they have left me alone 99.9% of the time!!
    xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice