Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

persistant cat diarrhoea

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by casdeswinchester, May 4, 2020.

1. casdeswinchester

casdeswinchester PetForums Newbie

Hello all, I need help with my 11 month old kitten as she has had persistant diarrhoea for a few weeks now, she will occoasionally have the solid stool which makes me think its just a stomach bug but then a few day later it persists again. when she was about 8 months old she has constant diarrhoea then too, I took her too the vets and they said I just had to keep a watch on her incase she develops a temperature or starts vomiting. She is a little bit skinny as her shoulder bones and hip bones slightly stick out, she also has a huge appetite and constantly begs for food. At the moment I am feeding her a single packet of wet food a day along wiith whiskas kitten dry food, she gets plenty of water and the occasional bottle of cat milk. Im thinking of buying some worming tablets but im not sure which one to treat for? Her previous owner said she had been treated for roundworm and tapeworm but it has had no effect.

In a single night she can pass a loose stool 3-4 times in a night, and once during the day. One time she even passed 6 loose stools in a single night. The diarrhoea has a awful smell and very difficult to clean up as she often tracks it around the house. whenever she lays next to me, I can hear her stomach rumbling alot. She had a litter of 4 kittens 2 months ago and they were given to new homes yesterday, all of the kittens stools were solid and no diarrhoea present.

Due to the covid 19 rules, I dont think I cat bring my cats to the vets as its non-essential [they are only accepting surgerys ect]

Any ideas of what I can do in the meantime? Thank you for reading this

2. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

You can certainly ring your vet for advice, and you must keep her in until she is spayed. It's rather shocking to find a kitten of 9 months having kittens.

You can also worm her with Panacur granules, which my cats all happily take in food. They are fairly cheap and available online without a prescription.

However a diet of dry food and the odd pouch of wet food is a poor diet. She might benefit from the chicken diet as per @chillminx and then a phased return to a much better quality food.

chillminx and casdeswinchester like this.
  3. casdeswinchester

casdeswinchester PetForums Newbie

thank you, iv'e bought some panacur granules and just got some chicken from the store.
    Misha (my kitten) was pregnant before we got her so we are definitley planning on getting her spayed soon.
    when you refer to a higher quality food does that mean with a diet of fresh protien alongside dryfood, or no dry food at all?

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

casdeswinchester likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice