Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Persian help

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Jet, May 26, 2010.

1. Jet

Jet PetForums Junior

My one year old seems to be shedding lots of fur each day - is this a normal summer thing? he is groomed but am slightly worried. Also, he has more recently hated having his behind and inner legs groomed and now has knots which i keep trying to get out with no luck. There are no kitty groomers in my area and I am worried my only option is to go vets and have them do it and give him a good haircut for the summer.

Can anyone help me?????thanks
    x

2. Tje

Tje Banned

leaving the excess shedding aside… you have to try and work out some way to stop the fur on his inner legs and behind area getting matted… if you don’t …. well it is highly possible they will have to put under anesthetic to be shaved, even at the vets. If you can’t brush it, chances are the vet won’t be able to shave him with a GA. Matted hair in Persians (and other LH breeds) can be such a pain, I know, but prevention really is easier than cure. Would it be possible for you to trim what you can, shave the bits that must be shaved yourself, then work on prevention from that point onwards? That’s what I did with Persians I was fostering. OK, they did look funny & strange with bits shaved, bits trimmed blunty with scissors, and long hair all untouched and natural… but there was no way these particular cats could go under a GA as they wouldn’t have survived it. By the time they were healthy enough for a GA, their bald parts were all grown back and with a lot of patience I could groom them.

3. Jet

Jet PetForums Junior

Thanks for your reply, i totally agree with you that the vets is the last place I want to take him. He was a rescue cat and when we first had him he was ok-ish being groomed but has got worse with the back end and hind legs. I have sat patiently with him and given him treats as we co along and used a detangling thing that helps and cut some knots where I could. i think it will be a slow bit by bit process. I have no problem with him looking strange for a bit.
    I have also just ordered a Furminator as that may help lighten him up for the summer. I will persevere as i love him so much.

4. Tje

Tje Banned

There’s a woman who posts on this forum, and she is a professional cat groomer… pity I can’t remember her name. She has given some great advice in the past on cat grooming. If I can remember her name later on I will leave another post for you. The Persians I had… two of them were funny with the space between their back legs, and one of them was terrible with her stomach and “arm pits”. What I forgot to say earlier… if you do shave/trim with scissors… what I did was I bought a realllllly soft kitten brush, partly because they were half bald (so I was brushing bare skin as opposed to fur), and partly so it would feel nice for them, and hopefully get them used to brushing. I would say it worked. When their hair grew back in, and I moved over to regular combs and brushes, they always insisted that I finish their grooming with the soft kitten brush.

I have a furminator for my own British Shorthairs – I have no idea how it will be with long haired breeds. I advise that you go gently with it… and in long strokes, don’t concentrate on one spot or you may end up with a bald spot, lol. But hey, if the cat likes it… bald spots are better than matted hair, lol. My blue girl prefers being furminated to being groomed with regular combs and brushes.

I'm so happy your cat has someone who cares so much... best of luck on the grooming front. (have you tried bribery and corruption, lol, sit still for 5 minutes of brushing and I will continually feed you little bits of chicken or tuna or whatever his particular treat is, hehe, works often enough for me ;))

5. Cazzer

Cazzer PetForums VIP

just to warn you that you may be wasting your money with the furminator. I find it useless on my persians especially if they are a bit on the skinny side llike one of mine and only any good on the moggie. I tend to use scissors on those who hate being groomed or you could use a matt breaker

6. Tje

Tje Banned

http://www.petforums.co.uk/cat-training-behaviour/91853-difficult-grooming.html

I think this is the woman I mean... she is on this thread... Ambercat. And she recomends that matt-breaker brush as well. :)

7. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

yep definatly get a matt breaker! My persian is blowing her coat at the moment too and its perfectly normal. Different persians have different coat textures... my girl is difficult as her coat is called a lambswool coat... very very light fluffy and prone to matting. I groom about an hour an evening at the moment.... just making sure she is fully combed through. I do also keep her back end trimmed (well she isnt a show girl) as she tends to have less than satisfactory toilet habits.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice