Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Persian cross kitten - food

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Laura Lup, Sep 7, 2020.

1. Laura Lup

Laura Lup PetForums Newbie

Hi all. I’m new to this forum but I just wanted to ask if there is anyone out there that has a Persian cross kitten. I wondered what food you give him/her and if you have any issues with diarrhoea. For the first 6 weeks we fed him whiskas dry and wet food as that was what the breeder fed him. We never had any issues with him until we went away for a week and left him in the care of a friend. Ever since we got back (5 weeks ago) we are having problems with diarrhoea and also him not always using the litter tray when he never had an accident before that. We are being told at pets at home that it will be diet related and they have recommend an AVA grain free which I am in the process of moving him onto but 5 days in and he is still having problems so I thought I would see what food others get on with or just some general advice! TIA

KoolK likes this.
  2. KoolK

KoolK ❤️ Snowy's Mommy ❤️

Hey, I wanted to give you some advice, but I'll also tag some amazing cat lovers here who are very knowledgeable: @chillminx @ChaosCat @Charity @SbanR

1. Congratulations on your baby! Cats are amazing creatures and I want to say thank you for giving this baby a home :)

2. Majority of users here on TPF agree that complete high quality wet food is far superior to any dry food.

Dry food containers carbs, added sugar and a lot of other by-products that cats don't need. Cats are carnivores. They need high quality meat.

Majority of users here use a website called Zooplus (https://www.zooplus.co.uk/). Their food is affordable, really high quality and they deliver with 2-4 days.

A user here compiled an amazing list of the best foods to purchase from there. Many of us cat parents purchase foods from said list: https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads...-just-the-good-stuff-work-in-progress.440844/

3. Foods like whiskas, any Purina foods, royal canin, AVA (and others) aren't the best foods. Purina and RC are sponsored by / affiliated with vets and pet stores. So they pay vets & stores to sell them.

4. It's important to remember vets are not nutritionists / food experts. So don't listen to them when they say dry food is best for a cat.

Here are some pet food myths: http://www.petsage.com/10-cat-food-myths.html

5. In relation to the Diarrhea this could be due to a wide range of issues. Food being one of them. Changing a cats diet too much at one time isn't good so this could be a factor. Another being certain ingredients in the whiskas or AVA that your cat may not like (allergy or intolerance).

What was advised to me (that worked really well) was to feed cooked chicken breast (no seasoning or anything) & rice. My cat was feeling so much better after a few days, then I slowly transitioned her to a good quality wet food.

But I understand that this may not be the best option especially for a kitten. So I'll let @chillminx weigh in her thoughts as what to do :)

6. And finally if you have any more questions at all about food, litter or any other cat- related questions don't hesitate to ask! :)

#2 KoolK, Sep 7, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
  3. Laura Lup

Oh wow that is great Thanku for such a detailed response! Pets at home thought he might have a chicken intolence because I mentioned that my neighbour tried him with some chicken when I went away and that was the same week the problems started so he moved me to purina fish biscuits ( I didn’t do the change gradually because ether didn’t tell me to and I didn’t know) so that didn’t help matters. Then when I went back in 3 weeks later to say it was no better they put him on the AVA so we’re 5 days into the gradually transition of that from purina! Would u say it would be better to give this a bit longer or risk change again so soon to get him into something else recommended on here? For the first 6 weeks he was on wet and dry whiskas and didn’t hve an issue with that but not sure if the build up of that food started to affect him as it’s worse than ever now

KoolK likes this.
  4. KoolK

Did you neighbour give him plain cooked chicken or was it seasoned? Or do you mean chicken cat food? If so, was it the same food as before or a new food?

If he has dihorrea a probiotic may be helpful. You can purchase it online or ask your vet for it. This may help.

Honestly, if this was me (my opinion) it seems like the food he's on now is not sitting well with him (dihorrea). This can lead to other problems (kidney problems, dehydration).

I would have moved my cat onto a better wet food that sits well with his stomach. I understand this will be hard given the situation but it's so much better in the long run.

If you can, for now give him some cooked chicken breast and rice on top of his usual food, this will help.

Other than that, see if you can try some of the foods on the list? Here are some good quality kitten foods you could try from Zooplus:

https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/kitten_products/kitten_wet_food/animonda/53375

https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/kitten_products/kitten_wet_food/animonda/14012

https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/kitten_products/kitten_wet_food/animonda/174353

https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/kitten_products/kitten_wet_food/rosies_farm_kitten/857654

It will take a few days for these to come, so you could make some cooked chicken & rice, and add it into his current food now whilst you wait. This will settle his stomach a little.

You said he was fine with whiskas? It's not the best food, but it's better than nothing. You could add some whiskas wet food to the chicken & rice to get him to eat..?

Also, it might be worth it to get a 2nd opinion from another vet.
    Dihorrea is really dangerous for young kittens, especially for this long. The last thing a vet should be doing is getting you to transition (yet again) to another food. A vets aim should be to help the kitten now with his tummy problems (issue a probiotic or advice on a simple temp diet).

My cat had dihorrea for 2 weeks if I remember correctly, and the chicken & rice (and probiotics) were the only things that helped her.

#4 KoolK, Sep 7, 2020
  5. Laura Lup

So the neighbour gave him actual chicken, and we were away for the whole week and she said he had diarrhoea all week but when I left him he was absolutely fine and had never had diarrhoea in the 6 weeks we had had him at which point we fed him the whiskas wet and dry. I took him to the vets when we got back and he checked him over and gave him some pro kolin but it barely kept it at bay. It was a couple of weeks after that that we thought we better try changing his food and he’s been on the purina dry then recently the AVA dry, he had another lot of pro kolin 2 weeks ago too and it seemed to be normal one day but diarrhoea the next so it’s just blowing my mind completely, especially because he decides when he doesn’t or doesn’t want to use his litter tray so coming down to a mess in the kitchen floor more often than not in the mornings is really stressing me out. The accidents started the week we left him too, again never an issue up until that point! I don’t know whether the issues are combined or 2 separate ones. I did try changing the litter to the wood pellet when we went away as again I didn’t realise it was such a big thing to a kitten change it and my friend recommended it as easier to clean etc. So I’ve gone back to the clay one now.. if you have any recommendations on that that would be good too! Thanku so much for your help I’m really stuck on all this. I’ll give him some cooked chicken and rice for the next few days and order him some wet food from that site and knock off the dry food like you have recommended and see how we get on. I’ll need to buy some chicken tomorrow as I don’t have any in but i have rice. Should I give him some rice with his biscuits tonight in the mean time do you think?

KoolK likes this.
  6. KoolK

That sounds really stressful, I'm so sorry. But this happened to me too so I understand what you're going through.

My snowy was puking, had dihorrea all over the floor (we had carpet!).

Another reason could be you going away, it could be stressing your cat out. Investing in a calming cat plug in may help: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0031TFZRK/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_i_aJLvFb0R6ZKT5

Yes you could add it to the dry (whatever food he's eating now) but also make sure to cook plain chicken breast and add it. When you get the chicken make sure you leave the broth, that's good for him, just add the broth to the food too :)

For litter I don't use clay anymore. Its hard to clean and doesn't hide the smells at all. Here are some really good litters that many of us here use:

https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats...MI9veK0LXX6wIVmu7tCh3lHQmtEAUYASABEgL4hvD_BwE
    ^ the one I use. Hides smells, little to no fall out from tray, clumps really well and is affordable. Also good for the environment (wood based).

https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats...litter/greenwoods_clumping_wood_litter/475317

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009ZUGJIS/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_i_WPLvFbB7GWDRD
    ^ also used this. Changed because it was a little expensive for me, but other than that really good.

7. Laura Lup

This is all so helpful thanku so much. With regard to changing the litter to that one, do you think it will stress him out more if I change that now too or do you think it would encourage him to use it if your cat likes it? And when you say chicken broth do you just cut some raw chicken breast up and boil them in water to cook them?

KoolK likes this.
  8. KoolK

Don't think changing litter will make a difference. Just make sure to leave some of his poop or something in there & some of his old litter, so he knows that's still his litter tray.

Also, yes the water that's left is the broth. It's fine for them to drink :)

9. Laura Lup

Fabulous. I’ve just mixed some cooked rice in with his AVA and he ate it like it was going out of fashion so I think he likes it atleast. I’ll order all the bits you have recommended. Thank you so much!!

KoolK likes this.
  10. KoolK

Ah that's great to hear!! Hope it all goes well. Keep me up to date please :)

11. Laura Lup

Thank you I definately will! Honestly I can’t thank you enough for this. Xxx

KoolK likes this.
  12. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I'm not the best person to advise you on anything diet related apart from agreeing that giving your kitten cooked chicken will help to settle his gut but I wouldn't add any rice as cats cant digest it and it could actually make matters worse.
    I'm sure @chillminx @lorilu or one of the other members with more knowledge than I have will be along soon

Laura Lup and KoolK like this.
  13. KoolK

I've read and @chillminx said a little cooked rice with chicken is good for their digestion. Obviously not preferred in the long term.

Edit: after looking through old thread I found that chillminx recommended cooked chicken & broth. Not rice.

#13 KoolK, Sep 7, 2020
  14. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I don't think chillminx has advised adding rice , infact I'm fairly certain she hasn't.

chillminx and LeArthur like this.
  15. KoolK

You're completely right. My mistake, I looked at my old advice thread and @chillminx recommended cooked chicken & broth (not rice).

I actually added the rice in for Snowy because of my vet (and I read about it online):

"Both plain brown rice and plain white rice can be good for cats with an upset stomach, so long as it’s fully cooked.

Vets sometimes recommend mixing some rice in with a cat’s usual food to treat diarrhea. Rice can help firm up your cat’s stools and prevent dehydration."

Source: https://cattime.com/cat-facts/health/29677-can-cats-eat-rice-safe-for-cats/amp

--------

"Rice can be a useful aid in soothing upset tummies or treating diarrhea. It can also be beneficial in cat foods for kitties with sensitivities.

As is the case with humans, rice can be a useful aid in soothing upset tummies or treating diarrhea. It can also be beneficial in cat foods for kitties with sensitivities."

Source: https://www.thehappycatsite.com/can-cats-eat-rice/

#15 KoolK, Sep 7, 2020
    buffie likes this.
  16. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@KoolK - I know some vets like to recommend adding rice to home cooked chicken when a cat or kitten has diarrhoea.

This may be Ok in some cases but I have not found it helps if the cat's diarrhoea is severe or chronic. This is because rice is a fibre and does not slow down peristalsis in the intestines as much as plain chicken or poached white fish does. So the bowel is not as rested. Resting the bowel (by slowing down peristalsis) is often what is needed when there is severe diarrhoea.

But if Snowy was OK with rice added and he made a swift recovery from his diarrhoea that's fine. :)

buffie and KoolK like this.
  17. KoolK

Ah okay. I'm sorry OP I should've done some more research. I shouldn't have assumed that because it worked for snowy for the 2 days I fed it her, that it would work for others.

I hope I didn't make things worse for OP's cat @chillminx ...?

@Laura Lup maybe from now on stick to cooked chicken & broth only? Better to be safe than sorry. Sorry for the confusion.

18. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Don't worry KK your advice will have been of interest and the OP can consider it and decide whether to follow it or not for her/his cat. ;)

KoolK likes this.
  19. KoolK

Was anything else I said wrong? I wrote a few different paragraphs :p

20. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

It looked Ok to me :)

KoolK likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice