Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Persian cat, Dry food?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Cheryl89, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Cheryl89

Morning my lovely cat lovers!

My cat Bugsy is on iams dry food (which was requested for me to feed her to keep her teeth clean by her previous owner...? ) she is 4 years old and she's never neutered her so she'll be booked in for that next week once she's grown to our home but I'm wondering what is the best kind of food? I hear awful things about dry biscuits for cats, and they should only be fed wet or is dry okay? She doesn't really eat the dry unless she really has to so I'm wondering what kind of brand I could give her of wet food and some sort of advise on keeping her teeth lovely and white.

I also hear that Persians can't eat lamb as it gives them the runs.... advise would be great?

Danke! (thank you lol) x :001_tongue:

2. gloworm*mushroom

gloworm*mushroom PetForums VIP

Dry doesn't do anything for teeth :) no more than munching a digestive cleans ours! Iams isn't a good food really.

A wet diet is best, 100% wet is always best if you can do it, but change it gradually. Happy Kitty in the UK does some great brands! I personally feed macs (big tins, lots of meat and cheap) but all of the brands on there are good.

To keep teeth clean feeling a raw chicken wing to chew on is good. My boys don't do it though :(

Never heard about Persians and lamb, my boys have lamb (exotic shorthairs so Persians and exotics used for the breeding) So I don't think that's true :)

Also good on you for spaying her! 4 years is too long to go without!

3. CoCoTrio

CoCoTrio PetForums VIP

I agree. Ditch the dry, Iams in particular is horrible stuff. Best to buy quality German ;) canned food from Zooplus or The Happy Kitty Company.

For teeth you can get Logic Gel toothpaste and Plaque-Off powder online, both are tasty and seem effective.

4. Cheryl89

I know Hun I thought this was the case! Ill see if I can
    Give her a raw chicken wing but she's a real duchess lol! I gave her some wet food yesterday & she loved it! Ate the lot... And she's quite skinny (I think) so would like to fatten her up with a good food lol

Oh yes of course, if she was mine shed of been neutered straight up but as I've only just got her she's going straight in next week to be done & micro chipped :)

Also... She's a real long hair cat, I've already started grooming her but what's best to ease the hair balls???

Thank you xx

5. Cheryl89

Haha yayyyy German products :) :) lol!!!

I thought they were crap, poor bugsy poo!!! I use zooplus would they sell the plaque off?? Xxx

6. gloworm*mushroom

I highly recommend a Furminator, I got mine on Amazon, you won't believe the fluff that comes off them! I do my boys twice a week, take off a tonne and it never seems to stop!

7. Cheryl89

It's so good knowing someone else with an exotic longhair, even when I groom her it's just so much coming out!!

Purchasing one right now! x

8. gloworm*mushroom

Oh mine are only short hairs! You can get long and short versions of the brush though. You'll probably get more fluff out though due to the BSH way back in the breed mine have stupidly thick fur with a heck of an undercoat which comes out in droves!

9. Cheryl89

A short hair then ;) hehee thank you so much :)

10. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

Nooooooo! nonononono! No! Have I said no yet? Do not use a Furrminator on a Persian! The coat is way, way too thick and, from experience, it hurts the cats when you drag that through a thick coat. (I have five Persians, three of which get really, really big coats).

To keep the coat looking good, go out and buy yourself a comb with no more than ten teeth to the inch, and a good slicker brush. This is plenty good enough to keep the coat well ordered if you groom daily. It will also minimise hairballs as you'll be removing a lot of the dead hair that causes them.

However, switching from an all dry to an all wet diet for me saw the total elimination of hairballs vomitted up almost overnight. They will pass through in the poo instead. I've had one furrball in the last year and that was yesterday, and only because I've become lax in my grooming as they all have summer coats, have a girl who cleans everyone else so ingests way too much furr, and had started upping their dry food treats as my housemate had recently just gone back to work, and I wanted to give the cats something to think about during the day rather than focusing on being alone (they have to get their dry out of toys, so they have to work for it).

Lamb doesn't give Persians the runs. I have found that some do have sensitive tumms, and those tend to react less favourably to fishy flavours, but lamb has never been an issue. Have you considered raw? It's done woners for the weight and coats of my lot, and has really cut down on how much I need to bath them.

11. Jesthar

Jesthar PetForums VIP

Carly, would that double sided Ancol comb (one side fine, one side medium) you gave to me be a good example of what you mean in this case? Happy to find and post a pic of anything you particularly recommend as usual!

Jes

12. CoCoTrio

CoCoTrio PetForums VIP

No Zooplus doesn't sell Plaque-off unfortunately. I think we got our pot online at Pet Supermarket. Be careful to get the one that's especially for cats. The basic one is for both dogs and cats but doesn't have the extra yummy flavour of the cat-only version. Just sprinkle it on the food, easy-peasy. :)

13. Cheryl89

Oh crap it :( thanks Carly, I've actually already purchased it :( but it's okay once it arrives ill just resell it via eBay or something. Last thing I want to do it hurt poor bugs. She's got a lovely coat but Malts over everything & constantly hacks up hair balls so gotta get that under control! Ahhh see I thought what she said about lamb was a bit crazy ??? Must of been the poor quality lamb iams she had her on. I'm certainly happy to try raw, what's best to introduce first? Would it make her tummy poorly at first? Xx

14. Jesthar

Jesthar PetForums VIP

You might be able to cancel the order if you are quick enough!

I started my Charlie-girl with chicken wings for her first foray into raw, just got the value ones from the supermarket (can always eat them yourself if the cat refuses them!) and picked out a small one, carefully warmed it to body temperature ('fresh kill' temperature meat tempts them to gnaw), slashed it down to the bone in a few places to let her get started, then leg her gt on with it - it took her a couple of attempts to get started, but now they get demolished with enthusiasm. She'll also eat slices of lamb/pig heart and kidney, too. These are fine for getting cats interested and as treats, as long as they don't make up more than 20% of the overall food intake a week.

If you want to try raw food, then that has to be properly balanced. You can make your own if you have the time and space, or you can buy pre-made frozen minces such as Nutriment or Woldsway (Woldsway is not complete and requires extra things added to it, though). There is another complete frozen brand called Natural Instinct, but I've had to stop using it after they did something to the (previously fine) recipes that gave Charlie such awful constipation it nearly resulted in an emergency vet trip. :eek:

15. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

If this was bought online (mail order) then Distance selling Regulations apply and you can cancel. If it's already been dispatched then you will have to pay the cost of returning it but other than that you are entitled to a full refund. Contact the company ASAP and say you are cancelling the order under DSRs. You can do this any time up to 7 days after receiving the goods but the sooner the better as you may just save yourself the cost of the return.

16. gloworm*mushroom

Well I certainly wouldn't 'drag' in through the coat, I wouldnt with any cat, but if you hold it and brush (so thats its not pulling on the skin) I have found them perfectly fine on both ragdolls and Persians. its whatever you are comfortable with :)

17. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

I don't drag either, but found that only one of mine tolerated it, and it stripped out so much of her coat that it was just a shadow of its former glory. There really is no need for these with regular grooming, but that's just my opinion.

You may find that your Persian's a chewer, but sadly, only one out of my five will eat bone and even then it's with coaxing. A Persian picks up most of its food by licking, so although chewing's possible with encouragement (we're working on introducing chunks to mine as I want clean teeth), it really is an uphill struggle for me. They're lazy sods!

Nutriment are my raw food of choice at the moment, but I will also feed a fresh, balanced meat from the butchers and am looking into Honey's/Woldsway. No harm in trying her with a bit of mince from the supermarket initially to see if she likes it. It shouldn't make her tummy poorly, but some cats do take a while to change over. I'd first get her started on a really good quality wet like Bozita, Grau, Catzfinefood (sp) all available at Zooplus, or any of the Happy Kitty Company's wet foods. They might look expensive, but she'll need to eat much less of them than supermarket brands, so it all works out Ok in the end.

18. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

Also forgot to say that in terms of grooming kit, I'll get some photos of that for you tonight so tha tyou can see the sort of thing I mean.

19. Toby Tyler

Toby Tyler Banned

Hi Cheryl,

Also agree that a raw diet will make a huge difference. My kittens have never had a hairball with raw, Cricket hasn't had a hairball since we started a raw diet almost one year ago.

When you feed raw you will also notice small odor-free poos which consist mainly of hair encased in a poo 'shell'. :D

20. Cheryl89

Oh wow really? I did try my puppy on raw but she didn't respond well to it and kept pooping jelly like stuff, by putting her back on dry she seems okay but I'd love to try it on bugs if it really makes that much of a difference!

What kind of things do you feed yours hun?? Ofal or chicken or...everything? lol xx

My girl is such a duchess, she only licks up her food - I'm guessing this is a common problem as they loved to be "babied" if that's the right word? She has a thing of sleeping on my head at the moment :hand: cheeky bugger hahaha. Well I actually have lean beef mince (is this okay??) in the fridge which I just purchased, should I try giving her a little? I'm so new to all this so thank you to everyone who is helping me :) I heard Lily's kitchen is good too or is that a no no?? xx

Are all your cats short hair or have you found this works with long hairs too? Is there any way to make it less painful? A nice package just arrived from zooplus hehe :) Her new cat carrier, fancy litter tray and malt sweets (to ease the hairballs - do you think these will be okay?) Ps: Sorry about all the questions lol xx

Thank you hun, I actually bought it through Amazon but hearing such mixed reviews I have no idea what to do??? :( lol xx

This sounds great! I think I'll start her off slow and build her up and she seems to only be used to dry, I've tried giving her a bit of good quality wet but she keeps turning her nose up at it... but won't really eat the dry either - I'm at a total loss here :confused: why a kitty cats so fussy :(

Oh lord,what changed???? I do have a spare fridge/freezer in my garage in the garden so I definitely have room for it - but need to somehow get her to eat it :(

Thank you everyone who replied, mwahs! xx

#20 Cheryl89, Aug 22, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice