Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Permethrin Alert: your dog's fleakiller kills cats

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Moglets, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

Lovie the video was so horrifying I would hate to see this happen to another innocent cat. The names Advantix and Advantage are too similar anyway imo.

chillminx and lullabydream like this.
  2. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

I bet it was horrendous...what I am saying the risk should be minimal more in the UK and probably protected somewhat with the prescription side... When I first got my dog and sought flea treatment from the vet, which did stock flea powder at the time I used to be asked if I am a cat owner too (yes I could be one of those who I guess doesn't seek medical help unless necessary hence the question no cat on my records) so if that was over 20 years ago surely they haven't got lax about asking the question now? Surely it wouldn't be just my vet either?

Bayer like to keep all names for flea ticks and parasites similar, advocate, advantage, and advantix. Then there is drontal and droncit... I think it's how they have marketed. Which I know on the surface it sounds like you can possibly mix up treatments but each comes pack of 4...with a picture of the animal. On each foil wrap there is a picture of the animal and once you get the pipette out the pippette has a picture of the animal...or it does on the advantage ones so I am guessing they are doing all the best for safety.

AmsMam and Soozi like this.
  3. Moglets

Moglets PetForums Junior

I don't have time to research the ways you can buy, but here as an ad. for Frontline Tri-Act:

https://www.sanareva.co.uk/frontline-tri-act-dogs-s-5-10kg-6-pipettes.html

and here is the .gov information that confirms it contains permethrin:

www.vmd.defra.gov.uk/productinformationdatabase/SPC.../SPC_634743.DOC

These products are widely available from European pharmacies.

If you want to know the chemical content of just about any product, type Safety Data Sheet into a search engine, followed by the product name. The information is often not openly offered by the manufacturer.

There are many flea products containing permethrin in spray form in the UK.

Incidentally, I just looked up the .gov information sheet on permethrin in dog spot-ons & it said nothing at all about them being banned:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/permethrin-dont-put-your-cat-at-risk. In fact, Frontline Tri-act, mentioned above, contains a LARGE proportion of permethrin & is at present on sale on eBay, UK, apparently quite legitimately.

#23 Moglets, Jul 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    chillminx and Soozi like this.
  4. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Advantax is from Bayer if you meant the manufacturer? Never heard of bitiba

5. lullabydream

I don't know many people with dogs especially who trust frontline products...
    I wouldn't and certainly most people wouldn't buy frontline with foreign packaging off eBay...

There are many things readily available on eBay doesn't make it a huge risk per se..

Can I ask @Moglets why the majority of your posts are 'be aware this stuff is dangerous' this is just my ponderings

@Burrowzig my apologises am quite aware Bayer is the manufacturer of Advantix I couldn't quite remember if it was you or another person in dog chat who bought it from bitiba or zoofast maybe without prescription...as it's prescription only in the UK.

6. Rufus15

Rufus15 Banned

Never underestimate the stupidity of Joe Public

7. lullabydream

Am not saying people won't buy it..but I don't perceive it to be a large on scale problem as it was in the early 90s and prior to this...

Many people still trust Bob Martin's products...

Soozi likes this.
  8. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Soozi likes this.
  9. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Thank you for the information and links @Moglets. Very useful.

You're right the stuff containing permethrin in dog flea treatments can still be bought on ebay UK, (I see it is mailed from Portugal). I really did not know it was that easy to obtain in the UK nowadays. Alarming! :(

Soozi likes this.
  10. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

Good news on the little cat here who was poisoned by Permethrin. The vet posted another video and he looks fine. He has very slight convulsive episodes but these are becoming less and less so the prognosis is good. He has gone home today after the vet gave the owner a good talking to.

chillminx, AmsMam and lullabydream like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice