Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Period Poverty - Free products in schools.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by SusieRainbow, Mar 14, 2019.

1. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

I was delighted to see that this has been passed following numerous petitions calling for it. I'm just wondering how it will be implemented to avoid abuse of the system, and maintaining the girls'privacy and dignity .
    In my school days any unexpected start of menstruation involved visiting a specific teacher, who was usually teaching a mixed class, and being taken to 'the cupboard' and the horrendous embarrassment that ensued.:Shy
    It's really good that the stigma has lifted and children/teenagers are so much more open about it , I was painfully embarrassed about such things until I started nursing.
    It would be wonderful if makers of reusable sanitary pads could donate their products to encourage a more environmentally friendly approach to menstrual hygiene too. Obviously the students would keep what they were given to reuse.
    Any thoughts ?It would be interesting to hear from any teachers involved in supplying sanitaryprotection to pupils.

Matrod, lymorelynn and kimthecat like this.
  2. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

When I was at school we got a 'period starter kit', I started early so my form teacher went to the matron of the 'big school' to get me the 'kit', in the first year of 'big school' all the girls in the year had to attend a talk given by matron about periods and everyone given a 'kit' ...... I was the only one who had already started and I was told I didn't have to attend the talk if I didn't want to.
    Don't they do that kind of thing anymore or is this 'Period Poverty' something more?

3. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

I've never heard of that happening , there was no evidence of it when my daughter was at secondary school. One of my crusades there was to get extra sani-bins put in the toilet cubicles to encourage girls to change when necessary.
    At my daughter's primary school one of the girls was told to put her used pad in her pocket and dispose of it when she got home !:eek:
    The 'period poverty' campaign has been set up to avoid girls missing school because they can't afford sanitary protection.

4. Nettles

Nettles PetForums VIP

I’m so glad period poverty is being addressed and the stigma has been lifted.

We got absolutely nothing from our school, which is even more shocking since it was an all girls school! Sanitary protection wasn’t available unless you bought it from the machines in the toilets - at a ridiculously high price! One pad or tampon was the same price as a whole packet from the chemist! And a whole day at school meant having to buy 2 or 3, which I couldn’t afford.

I started early and had very heavy periods, and the girls in an all girls school can be very cruel, so being caught buying them or even having them in your schoolbag at 11yrs old was humiliating :( The thought of leaking was terrifying, but getting out of class to use the bathroom resulted in an interrogation from the teacher. You needed a permission card to be excused to use the bathroom!!

If my period started unexpectedly (which it usually does when you’re young and you’re cycle is all over the place) and I didn’t have tampons or enough money with me, I’d have to use toilet roll. Poor attendance resulted in detentions and/or suspensions so going home wasn’t really an option. Many times I had to decide between buying lunch or buying a tampon. No young girl should ever be put in that position :(

SusieRainbow likes this.
  5. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

In my daughters school they are not supplied with anything now a few years ago when my eldest started the school and they didn't have any protection with them they would be given 2 sealed packs which included a tampax,a pantyliner,a normal flow pad and a nightime pad plus feminine wipes.I did notice in Asda a few months ago they have a trolly behind the checkouts for people to donate sanitary protection to local schools,every week a different school is nominated

SusieRainbow likes this.
  6. JacquelineW

JacquelineW PetForums Newbie

I'm a primary school teacher yr 6. I always keep a spare packet of pads in my drawer incase the girls need them. This year I know of only 2 though that have started their periods.

7. JacquelineW

But as far as I know I am the only teacher who does this xx

8. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

That's fantastic! I've been listening to Woman's Hour that has been reporting on this & it's terrible that some girls & young women are struggling to get access to sanitary products.

When I was at school (80's) there was never any sanitary products available, we had to go & see the school nurse if we needed any pads (& the school ones were huge & just awful!) & am sure lots of girls didn't out of embarrassment.

SusieRainbow likes this.
  9. JacquelineW

That could be the case for my class too though being too embarrassed x

10. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Could be, it's awful to think that even in 2019 girls are still embarrassed about this.

At least they know they can see you, much better a teacher than the scary school nurse as in my day! when they discussed this on WH it seemed that many teachers often buy sanitary products for female students who can't afford them using their own money, whilst that is very kind of them they shouldn't be expected to have to do that.

11. JacquelineW

I make up for it by being scary in other ways x

Kim Watcham, Cleo38 and SusieRainbow like this.
  12. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

It seems to be discussed more freely in schools these days , my daughter was very impressed with her 8yr old son's knowledge and understanding of periods.
    One of my colleagues,a school nurse, used to have a session with the yr 6 girls at on of our local schools every year.

O2.0 and Cleo38 like this.
  13. JacquelineW

It is discussed more it just doesn't seem to click with some staff to be prepared though x

SusieRainbow likes this.
  14. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

That's a shame, could it be brought up at a staff meeting, and maybe the PTA could encourage awareness ? this period Poverty campaign would be a good starting point for discussion.

15. JacquelineW

I'll certainly give it a go !

SusieRainbow likes this.
  16. JacquelineW

Doesn't mean they can use it as an excuse to go during class time though

17. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Really? If they feel they are starting and worried about staining their clothing ?

O2.0 likes this.
  18. JacquelineW

I let girls who I know have started yes.

19. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

How very intrusive of you.

If a girl tells you she needs to use the bathroom during classtime, it's absolutely none of your business why she needs to do so.

Would you appreciate it if you were going into a public loo and someone demanded to know what your intention was in there?

Your posts have a very familiar ring to them.

20. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Well, I really don't want to get into a debate about allowing children to use the toilet during class, we've had enough of those and they never end well !

Nettles likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice