Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Perineal Hernia in a 13 year old dog

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by cazbah, Mar 26, 2017.

1. cazbah

cazbah PetForums Member

hello folks
    My 13 year old Jack Russell Alfie has been diagnosed with a perineal hernia, it appeared very suddenly on Friday morning, he is in a lot of pain, yelps when he tries to go for a poo, can't sit down and very restless.

I rushed him to the vets straight away and they suggested we see how he went over the weekend, and gave me metacam and peridale to soften his motions.

I was back to the out of hours vet Friday night at 11pm for additional pain relief as metacam wasn't touching it. He gave me tramadol for him to get us over the weekend.

Last night in the night he was crying and panting but eventually settled.

This morning after a walk I gave him another disease of tramadol and about an hour later he was yelping in pain.

He is now at the vets on sedation and they are going to investigate further in the morning.

I've seen 3 different vets, the first one said it was a very big op and to see if he could cope with just pain relief, the second vet said it wasn't the first option we should consider due to his age and likely recovery. The vet today said taking into account that the pain meds can't hold him pre op she was concerned how he might do post op.

My actual vet is away at the moment as is my husband so I'm feeling very confused.

Has anyone had any experience of the condition or to adverse reactions to tramadol.

I'm at my whits end.

2. CrazydogsX2

CrazydogsX2 PetForums Senior

Sorry I don't have any advice to give, I would just like to wish you lots of luck and hope your dog recovers x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice