Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pepsi wont eat

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Tink82, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Tink82

Tink82 PetForums VIP

After his op on Thurs he has not eaten :crying: He had a carrot biccie thing I sent with him to the vets and they said he ate that and had a drink but that's about it. I have seen him nibble straw out his litter tray but he has not touched any pellets or fruit/veg we have put out.

I gave him half an apple cut in two before I went to work last night as he goes mad for apple, got in at midnight and it had not been touched, this morning he has had a slight nibble on it which i suppose is better than nothing.

Irnoically the only thing he wants to chew is my door frames and skirting boards :rolleyes:

He still has energy in him but he has lost some weight, I was stroking him last night and his spine is a lot more prominent, cried my eyes out last night :crying:

He has a post op check later on but any advice now would be very much welcomed :crying::crying::crying:

2. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

Take him to the vets as soon as you can. A rabbit that stops eating is usually very poorly. They stand a risk of dying if they stop eating for more than 24 hours.

3. umber

umber PetForums VIP

Really sorry to hear he is not eating and I agree with Kammie get him to the vets asap if he has not been eating! Keep us updated! Is he drinking and pooing/weeing?

4. mimi g

mimi g PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear this - best ring your vets and maybe take him down to be checked to be safe! xx

5. Tink82

Tink82 PetForums VIP

He is pooping and weeing yes, his wee seems fine and not too concerntrated but his poos changed last night. They are now elongated and very pale and there is just less in general.

He has been chewing on the argos catalogue, I think it has been keeping him going. He has an appointment at 3.50 today. I really hop he is ok
    :crying:

6. umber

umber PetForums VIP

hope he is ok too has he tried any hay?

7. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

aw these are really big ops, the main thing is he is nibbling and pooping, i'm sure all of a sudden his apatite will be back

8. Tink82

Tink82 PetForums VIP

To be honest he never ate hay to begin with, I dont know why. He nibbles the straw out his litter tray though. He had small amounts from it on Thursday when we got home but I have not seem him eat it since

9. Tink82

Tink82 PetForums VIP

Well we presumed this was the case and that maybe it totally distressed him as he is quite a sensetive and shy boy. He has been allowed up the stairs and to relax under my bed away from my daughter but it just hasn't worked :(

10. stacey11

stacey11 PetForums Junior

Aww so sorry to hear this bet you're so worried, least you're taking him to the vets this afternoon. Let us know as soon as your back what they say! xxx

11. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

He hasnt eaten anything since thursday and he's pooing fine? Thats sounds odd, buns do go slightly off their food post op but he needs to go the vet if he's not eating at all.

12. Tink82

Tink82 PetForums VIP

Well we are back. The vet said that if had completley stopped eating then he would have died by now (!) so he must be eating something we are not aware of.

She tried to feed him there and he was having none of it so he has had 2 jabs to get his tummy going again (as apparently when they slow eating down their stomach starts to 'shut down' and they want less and less until it stops altogether) and a sachet of this yucky looking food I have to syringe feed him. She gave him some thier, he was not too sure at first but sort of got into it!

Got to take him back again tomorrow.

We have had a look around to see what he is eating and I think it is the argos catalogue that has kept him going :eek:hmy: although it is not good it has kept him alive!

He was into everything at the vets having a good look around, standing on his back legs and stamped his feet when she put him back in the box :eek:ut: the vet said he is a typical male, but a beautiful little guy :001_wub:

Feel a lot more reassured now. Been down to pets at home and got a bag of dried dandilions etc, tesco's for his faves, carrots, broccoli and cabbage.

Also, we were told not to give him lettuce of any sort or fruit which I thought was odd, her reasoning was that fruit contains high sugar levels (which I knew) but that their teeth will rot easily :confused1:

13. AmyCruick

AmyCruick PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear that Pepsi is poorly, hope he gets better soon!

One of my rabbits stopped eating once, and wouldn't move either he was all limp when I picked him up and kept wetting himself I thought it was the end but after a couple of days he started eating again- carrot tops were the first thing he touched for days! The vet said it was just stress in that instance...apparently if they get stressed their guts pack up and then once they de-stress they just start back up again. They gave me a pre-biotic and he's been fine ever since so fingers crossedit'll just be something like that.

If Pepsi still has energy then it sounds like he's a little fighter! Really hope he's back to normal soon!

-xxxx-

14. umber

umber PetForums VIP

Argos saves the day lol! Lets hope he picks up real soon! Keep us updated!

15. mizz_caitlin_stewart

mizz_caitlin_stewart PetForums Newbie

erm... maybe you should ake him to vets....asking here insy gonna help ... hope she/he gets :blushing::blushing::blushing:

16. Tink82

Tink82 PetForums VIP

Thanks, the vet recommended carrot tops

This morning he has nibble a small piece of broccoli but thats about it. The syringe feeding is not fun!! we ended up wearing most of it and he decided he had had enough, kicked off scrathing all my chest and jumping off my lap :( He then cleans himself for about half an hour after and kicks his heels up at me

Got to go back again tonight

mizz_caitlin_stewart, he did have an apointment and I have taken him, I was asking for general advice prior to his visit

17. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

When I had to syringe feed Charlie I sat on the floor with my lags crossed and put him in the gap between my legs so he couldn't escape. Then held his front end close to me leaning over him so he couldn't turn his head from me to get the syringe in. Maybe you could try that with Pepsi although I did still end up wearing some of it I found this the easiest way.

18. Tink82

Tink82 PetForums VIP

Thanks, that sounds like a better way, I have had him wrapped in a towel under my left arm using my right to feed him but find it hard to find his mouth under all the fur. I put him in a towel on the table as per the vets instructions but he just wriggles down the towel and hides :rolleyes5:

19. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

I always find the best bet is to get someone to give u a hand, put them on the table and get the other person to put one hand firmly on their back end so they cant move their back legs then the other hand just behind their head then stick it in his mouth, this is exactly what the vets get me to do for injections etc

20. Tink82

Tink82 PetForums VIP

sadly there is no one around or I would! I invited an unsuspecting friend around for coffee earlier but they can't make it. Dammit!! He is a real fighter and makes it ten times worse than it needs to be :rolleyes:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice