Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Peppers pups help please pics

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by greyrockinghorse, May 31, 2010.

1. greyrockinghorse

greyrockinghorse PetForums Junior

Things are still stressful here, pepper is very tense, spending most of her time hunched up so it is difficult for pups to get under. The boys have gained about 20gms but the smallest born a girl, hasn't gained much. Today i have been uncurling pepper to let the girl on and holding until pup has had her fill. Is this right? Pepper doesn't seem to like them on the fullest back teats and kicks them off with a hind leg. As the girl is so small i am worried that as the boys get bigger she will have less of a chance. Should i give her a boost with whelpi? Pepper will only eat or drink if i hold it under her nose in the box and getting her to go out is also difficult, she yelps and is frantic to get back in. She is weeing ok and has had only one poo since Friday night. I am pleased now we didn't get the predicted 7 pups. Help please:confused:

A few pics of the pups

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. nic76

nic76 PetForums Member

could she have mystitis(spelling). you are doing the rigt thing holding pup on.well done. i would be very tempted to call my vets for advice and maybe they can check her over.

3. nic76

nic76 PetForums Member

beautiful pups by they way x

4. vizzy24

vizzy24 PetForums VIP

Hi sorry things are not going to well. I would say get her checked out again by the vet. Her curling up could be a sign she is in pain. It could also be that she just doesn't like them feeding. I would be inclined to top the pups up a little with some lactol until things are sorted out with mum. Good luck

#4 vizzy24, May 31, 2010
    Last edited: May 31, 2010
  5. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

Do her teats feel overly hot, or lumpy? IME pups will have nothing to do with a teat if it has mastitis. I'd keep putting the pups on her, especially on the back teats. She'll get used to it.

6. Callie

Callie PetForums Senior

Amber behaving similarly.
    We have to force her to lie flat so all teats are free and she doesn't like this.
    Same with food but I think thats normal cos they don't want to leave pups.
    Am just about to put my thread on too for some help!!

7. greyrockinghorse

Wow our girls have certainly done almost everything together. How is the weight of your pups, are they all gaining?

Done a new weight table to start from today mine are

pup 1 197gms (birth weight 160gms)
    pup 2 130gms (birth weight 130gms)
    pup 3 178 gms (birth 160 gms)
    pup 3 213 gms (birth weight 190 gms)

I am worried about the little girl
    Mums back teats feel ok and i can express milk myself i think it's just wants them all huddled in and that means the back ones are too enclosed.

8. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

Maybe she's feeling a little stressed. Does she get enough privacy? Sometimes putting a cover over the whelping box helps stressed out bitches. I would keep on helping the little girl on to the teats. If you can express, she's obviously got enough milk, so don't supplement.

9. Callie

Callie PetForums Senior

Yes did weights again today
    1. 600g(480g) 2.630g(460g) 3.530g(440g) 4.525g(450g) 6.520g(480g) 7.560g(500g) 8.490g(580g)

10. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

Don't supplement her. Milk production works on a supply and demand basis. Dim the lights in the room and cover the box with a sheet or table, this might help her relax. Make sure you clip their nails regularly. I do them from 4 days, then every two-three days, or file then. The back teats are the nost sensitive, but she definitely shouldn't be yelping. Wipe them with a warm flannel and massage them. Could it be that she is ticklish?
    If she is stressing she needs constant attention and keep notes in a diary as to what time everything happens so you can relay it to the vet exactly as it happened. If she starts to panic it may be that eclampsia is starting. I know of a bitch that panicked and killed an entire litter due to eclampsia so make sure she has 24hour constant attention.

Can't wait for more pictures xxx

11. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

mum and pups are gorgeous, i do hope things settle down soon. good luck.xx:)

12. greyrockinghorse

The yelping i think is an anxiety thhing to get back in to the pups it's not a pain thing. The girl pup now looks a good bit smaller than the others and doesn;t latch on when i try to help. I do think we wil lose her. I have got puppy milk and tried her with a bit but it was difficult to get her to even open her month. I will see how things are tomorrow with her. The others seem stronf and healthy and are feeding well

13. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

Do you know how to tube feed?

14. greyrockinghorse

No i don't i am worried about bottle feeding too, feeding too much or too fast.

15. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

If it looks like you're losing her, take her to the vets to be shown how to tube feed until she is strong enough to feed herself. Much safer than bottle feeding and syringe feeding as risk of aspirating is much less. I assume they have all been seen by vet to check for cleft palates etc.

16. mel

mel PetForums Member

Do u not know anyone who can show u how to tube her ?

bottle feeding can be hit n miss i use the bottles that come with the royal canine baby milk....try dripping milk on her tongue using a syringe if she is weak try giving her a boost there are various methods nutri drops etc i use this reciepe n found it really works...

pint of cool boiled water
    2 n 1/2 teaspoons of glucose powder
    1/4 teaspoon of salt
    pinch of bicarb

it can be kept in the fridge for 24 hrs but give it warm just drip it on her tongue...

I hope she gets stronger n pulls through xx

17. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

Pups look lovely :D

One of ours didn't do too well the first couple of days, he was the smallest born and lost weight the first 2 days and only gained a few grams the 3rd day. I persevered with him, kept moving him onto a teat even if it meant taking a more thriving one off for a couple of mins. It didn't help that he wasn't fussed on being handled either but I kept it up until he was able to do it himself. By the end of the first week he was first in queue and if one of the others pushed him off, he'd scramble back in there and push the others out of his way ;)

18. greyrockinghorse

Thanks for that reply it is encouraging. After speaking to the vet who advised the supplement milk first, She is taking feed off a small syringe now and does it well. I have seen her trying to suckle off mum but to be honest i think she is just a bit too weak to suck for long enough and fend off her wriggling brothers. She dropped 5gms since birth to 125gms one of her brothers is 250 gms. I am hoping when i weigh her tonight there will be some improvement. Have to take her in tomorrow if not. How much per feed should a small pup like her be taking? She had 7ml at 1pm. I am just being guided by her just now when she stops sucking today she look like she had swallowed a bouncy ball after her feed:D
    This is her next to her biggest brother, bless her heart!!

[​IMG]

19. Callie

Callie PetForums Senior

Aww i really feel for you!!
    Is Pepper stimulating her to do the loo or does she just ignore her?
    I was shown how to toilet the pups by the lady who helped me as Amber took a day before she was ready to do this.
    I had to get a glove or kitchen roll and while holding them under the armpits gently stroke their bits(pee first). Kitchen roll will absorb the pee or hold over a bowl. Then hold up tail and gently stroke from just between the legs towards anus (quick as if mum is licking).
    I am no expert but worth a try if Mum not doing it.
    Good Luck

20. greyrockinghorse

Yes she is cleaning up ok but its just the pup is losing strength by the hour. I'll be taking her to the vet in the morning if she is still with us, but i don't think she has any chance really. It has been a really stressful few days, pepper is still acting strange, she won't get out of the box to eat or drink, when she does she runs around frantic. She is tearing up the paper in the box knocking the pups about in the procees. I made a big mistake breeding from her i think:frown:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice