UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so you all know we lost our lewis back in july, very sad time indeed r.i.p lil man and since then jenson, his brother has become an indoors cat and we dont intend it to change until an enclosure is built.

Now keeping him entertained and at a healthy weight is getting a little harder as i was the one mainly playing with him but NOW i have started full time work so im either laying in and get an hour or so in the morning before work and then im not home til 10pm or like today i finished 5ish and have the evening to play, but thats just a few days a week, plus days off of course, but thats aslong as im not out.

Yes i find time every day to have some play and to brush him, but i feel i am not giving him enough play time....and out of our two other cats...jack is a bit playfull but still prefers sleeping and jessie? Well you can think twice and then again if she's gonna play with him, so i got a thinking....

What about a playmate for him?

Being full time i can afford to buy a cat easily from a rescue center, or if they turned me down for wanting to keep the kitty in i could afford a pedigree or rehome from a pedigree rescue [mainecoone or abyssinian please :p haha] food is no issue as we had 4 cats before, plus i would still buy extra food weekly like i always have done anyway, i do it now and my parents weekly shop sometimes comes back cat foodless cos of how much they have!

Even though it'd be indoors, i would still take out insurance on it, should it get ill and being full time anyway if it did get ill i could easily afford an excess that i may need to pay.

But i feel jenson, being only 3 years old could maybe do with a little friend? At our last place when a neighbours kitten kept coming to ours jenson took to it like it was his best friend. Mum and dad are home pretty much all the time but havent always got time for the cats...recently i've made toys and bought toys for jenson to keep him active but he's getting into a routine of sleeping and eating more, which isnt gonna be healthy for him down the line and i wanna break that cycle and give a home to a kitty who needs one so they can benefit from eachother.

Whats everyones HONEST thoughts? I want honesty and not 'awww yeah get a kitten/cat' just so i can either think about it in more detail or i can dismiss it and carry on as normal. I do value your opinions :)

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I've only just brought Tiberius's playmate (Ezri) home today!

Originally I had Tiberius (nearly 6 months) and Tabitha (around 9 years). Unfortunately me and my BF work full time and find it a little difficult to keep Tiberius occupied, and that is even with my mum coming over nearly everyday (she lives a couple of doors down from me which is handy :) )

Tiberius kept trying to play with Tabitha but she seriously isn't up for that nonsense anymore and hisses and swipes at him. Hence the reason for the playmate.

Tiberius and Ezri are both MCs so I hope they will get on together, time will tell. But I would say go for it. If he's young enough to want to play then another cat will suit him fine.

·
Registered
8,368 Posts
Sounds a good idea IF Jenson takes to the new kitty, although make sure there is a 'safe room' for the kitten to start the introduction process, because if it takes a while, Jenson and the other cats will need to feel they can keep away from the kitten if they want to. If they don't get on at first, Jenson might be even more keen to go outdoors!! :eek:

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've only just brought Tiberius's playmate (Ezri) home today!

Originally I had Tiberius (nearly 6 months) and Tabitha (around 9 years). Unfortunately me and my BF work full time and find it a little difficult to keep Tiberius occupied, and that is even with my mum coming over nearly everyday (she lives a couple of doors down from me which is handy :) )

Tiberius kept trying to play with Tabitha but she seriously isn't up for that nonsense anymore and hisses and swipes at him. Hence the reason for the playmate.

Tiberius and Ezri are both MCs so I hope they will get on together, time will tell. But I would say go for it. If he's young enough to want to play then another cat will suit him fine.
Cheers!

Yeah he's not long turned 3 years old and is extremely playfull when you get him going, which is why i wanna keep him active

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds a good idea IF Jenson takes to the new kitty, although make sure there is a 'safe room' for the kitten to start the introduction process, because if it takes a while, Jenson and the other cats will need to feel they can keep away from the kitten if they want to. If they don't get on at first, Jenson might be even more keen to go outdoors!! :eek:
We have a spare room now, so the new kitty could go in there....but we've never done the seperation thing before and all has worked out fine with all our cats so it'd be how it is on the day....IF haha

·
Registered
8,368 Posts
We have a spare room now, so the new kitty could go in there....but we've never done the seperation thing before and all has worked out fine with all our cats so it'd be how it is on the day....IF haha
We've only done the separation thing briefly, we used a dog crate for Pixie when she came home, but only for the first few days really, although they were separated overnight, and they could see her anyway.

I'd love a little friend especially to keep Pixie happy indoors, but if Jumpy didn't like it he'd probably keep heading off out again :rolleyes:

·
Registered
14,207 Posts
It can be a great idea - we got Bomber when Coda was about 8 months old and she (Coda) kept pestering the oldies - it was great for all of them as Coda and Bomber hit it off straight away and so the oldies finally got some peace.

So it can work. If you can afford it then it's worth a punt.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We've only done the separation thing briefly, we used a dog crate for Pixie when she came home, but only for the first few days really, although they were separated overnight, and they could see her anyway.

I'd love a little friend especially to keep Pixie happy indoors, but if Jumpy didn't like it he'd probably keep heading off out again :rolleyes:
See, if jenson was allowed out this wouldnt be an issue cos he couldnt entertain himself all he wanted outside chasing things, hunting things etc but indoors if theres no one to play he'll eat/sleep and he's gonna gain weight fast at this rate and i dont want that, our elder cat jack has always been big, altho he has lost a few pound over the recent years, we've been told due to his size and weak back legs he will get arthiritus [sp] and i dont want that for jenson

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It can be a great idea - we got Bomber when Coda was about 8 months old and she (Coda) kept pestering the oldies - it was great for all of them as Coda and Bomber hit it off straight away and so the oldies finally got some peace.

So it can work. If you can afford it then it's worth a punt.
I am now in a place to officially afford it myself...but it would also be persuading the parents....yeah it'd be nice to have a kitten in the house again, but i feel for jenson more then anyway cos he's not getting the exercise he should be getting and what else can i do for him when im not home enough to help. He's not the type of cat to make his own fun...its gotta be playing with someone or he dont care.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
i hoped Gali and Newton would play & smooch...but they dont

its tolerence - nose kiss & a quick groom only, will sleep on different parts of the bed or sofa
they dont play together and rarely cuddle

if i'm honest, she would be happier without him:(

would it be possible to foster with a view to adopt? then you could see how he reacts and let them get to know each other without commiting straight away?:)

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i hoped Gali and Newton would play & smooch...but they dont

its tolerence - nose kiss & a quick groom only, will sleep on different parts of the bed or sofa
they dont play together and rarely cuddle

if i'm honest, she would be happier without him:(

would it be possible to foster with a view to adopt? then you could see how he reacts and let them get to know each other without commiting straight away?:)
I dont think my parents could do that, they'd wanna keep whoever turned up! haha

Jenson is naturally a very laid back cat [think he gets it from me?] and is like the most chilled out cat ever dude! haha

·
Registered
14,011 Posts
just a thought, if you wanted a mainecoon kitten you may have heard about my little boy who im trying to save his eye, of course he will be free to a special home but aside from this fact find somebody who would be willing for you to have a trial period to see if it works out, if it doesnt then you will know you tried and you could return the kitten.
i think its a good idea getting a kitten but to be honest you wont know until you have one and see what happens. xx;)

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
just a thought, if you wanted a mainecoon kitten you may have heard about my little boy who im trying to save his eye, of course he will be free to a special home but aside from this fact find somebody who would be willing for you to have a trial period to see if it works out, if it doesnt then you will know you tried and you could return the kitten.
i think its a good idea getting a kitten but to be honest you wont know until you have one and see what happens. xx;)
Gonna have to pm you now arnt i, making a habit of this ;)

Oh wait, you beat me too it! haha

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
you could also look at rescue centres if you wish, im all for somebody giving a rescue a loving home.
you will know the right kitten when you see it, but for now heres a photo before the accident.
He's so beautifull i could cry....if i lived closer i'd be round nabbing him once he was given the all clear! haha

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.