Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

People who throw out their bones need to be fined!!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Jackie99, May 7, 2010.

1. Jackie99

Jackie99 PetForums VIP

Yet again another walk ruined by my dog discovering a leftover carcass. Big lamb bone and goodness knows what other rubbish leftover from someones dinner.

It is a nightmare to get a bone off my dog once he has hold of one. He thinks it is the best thing ever to have found it and runs like the wind away with it!!

Not only are these people being ignorant, selfish and lazy by slinging this food, waste over their fence or wall, they are attracting rats, foxes to the area and could kill innocent dogs.

Mine has already had a Vet visit a few weeks ago and been ill a number of times before from them.

I should leave up signs around the place, if you don't want to put your bones in your bin, ring this number and I will happily dispose of them for you. Better that that a very ill dog!!!

Sorry finished ranting now!! :arf: :eek:

2. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

completely agree. nearly every single walk with Ollie means needing to pull a bone out of his mouth. this morning, i spent 5 minutes trying to prise ollie's mouth open because he had got a whole chicken piece with bone in it. someone hadn't even bothered eating it, they just chucked it on the floor. if ollie had eaten it, there would have been a huge vet bill and he'd have to go through an operation to get it out for sure. it was huge.

3. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

I think its the bane of alot of walks.:( Where I live there isnt room for big wheely bins so the rubbish goes at the kerbside in black bags. Where the cats rip them to shreds!:(
    I've often looked down when someone is dawdling on the lead and found them looking back up at me with a big bone stuck in their mouths!!:rolleyes:

4. nic101

nic101 PetForums VIP

i agree OP

My greedy spaniel has a fantastic nose and can sniff out stuf hidden in bushes (i keep threatening to send her to the police to be the first spaniel x collie drugs dog :lol: )

does my nut in - bins are there for a reason!

5. Jackie99

Jackie99 PetForums VIP

I am obviously not the only one with inconsiderate people living around me! I wonder sometimes if they think they are doing the local wild life a favour by feeding them leaving this stuff out and do not realise the dangers bones can have on dogs systems. This is why I am seriously considering the signs idea! :D Maybe directly on the persons gate! :lol:

6. rona

rona Guest

Why not try having a FRIENDLY word, they may not be aware of the problem

7. Clare7435

Clare7435 PetForums VIP

I appreciate they need to be thrown out but it doesn't take 2 mins to put them in a tub and bag...or double bag them and put them to the bottom of the bin....on the top and cats can and do sniff them out and are mostly the culprits for them being on the floor round here...those who leave the chicken carcases out for wildlife need a slap because it's highly dangerouse and was responsible for killing many birds due to salmonella a few years ago xx

8. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Thankfully none of this goes on in my area but I agree something needs to be done.

9. rocco33

rocco33 PetForums VIP

This is a huge problem in my area - people think they are doing favours by feeding the foxes.

I recently had to take a complete cooked chicken carcass off one of my dogs, but not before she had swallowed a leg bone. :mad:

I printed off (and laminated) some notices (which are now tied around a number of trees at the entrances) asking people not to do it, explaining that cooked bones can kill - not just dogs but also the foxes they think they are helping. I also added that putting food out has, in the past, resulting in £100s of vet bills.

10. EmCHammer

EmCHammer PetForums VIP

Its bad round by me...

1. Chippy/ chicken joint nearby so idiot people walk along with their greasy chicken then sling the bones on the street. At least if its the chips mine skank its not so bad.

2. IN the arboretum people leave out bags of food for the foxes. Have found tekno eating from a half a carrier bag full of raw chicken wings and then he managed to get down a whole one of those webbox dog sausage things the next time. Even now he will remember this spot and charge off mid walk, all recall gone to the wind. People leave food out for the birds as well (despite being told not to feed the ducks bread etc) he will run round and eat all that as well.

once i lost him for a awful 30 mins could not find anyway was in tears (he is not a runny off dog and has fab recall normally unless food about). After 30 mins on this golf course round and round eventually heard his tags chinking.. was right in the middle of a huge thicket wher esomeone had dumped a huge bone looked like some kind of hip joint... there was about 6 of them and he was trying to bury some whilst eating some and growling at me.

Gawd knows how long he would have been there if i hadn't heard him.

11. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

The only time ive had a problem with this where i walk, is after a dog agility event, where some bright spark chucked the remnants of their BBQ in the ditch behind their caravan.

Even doggy people are ignorant, or just don't care as long as it isnt their dog.

12. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

We don't have a problem with bones or rubbish either :confused1: :)

13. rocco33

rocco33 PetForums VIP

I wish they were raw - dogs can cope with raw bones, in fact, I give mine raw chicken wings. It's the cooked bones that are dangerous. Cooked bones splinter and perforate inside, causing internal damage - even death.

14. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Lucky us lol :D
    We've had the occasional build up though that's always at Christmas and sometimes cats (or foxes though don't think they live up here on the mountain) will get into some bags but it's cleaned up quickly.

15. EmCHammer

EmCHammer PetForums VIP

Yes was glad they were raw and not cooked for that reason. Just half a carrier bag in one go and had nightmares it was some freak who had poisioned them or something.

More annoying is the chippy stuff that gets discarded.

Tekno even eats the breadcrumbs walkers leave out as a trail he can't be trusted not to scavenge anything.

16. PawsandPurrs-Bridgnorth

PawsandPurrs-Bridgnorth PetForums Member

I feel lucky this dosent happen by me. I nearly lost my first dog 20 yrs ago to a chicken carcass where we lived then :(

Ignorance I think is the main culprit.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice