Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

People who show dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by thedogsmother, Jun 8, 2010.

1. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Im not getting involved in the whole dog show debate that seems to be going on atm but I have a geniune question. Can I just ask the show people (never been to a proper show in my life) The dogs in the show rings on tv all look so sensible but they are also obvioulsy pet dogs and as such are also normal playful happy dogs, so how do you get your dogs to put on their sensible heads when they go into the show ring, I would love to take Henrick to a show (would have to be a WALC or fun dog show) but I think he would be an idiot in the ring and just want to play with the other dogs:eek:. How do the dogs know its time to do their stuff and be good? There is a PADS dog show near here next weekend and although he walks nicely on the lead etc I know he will see the other dogs and think PLAAAYYYYYTTIIMMMEE:eek:.

2. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

You have put that so well, yes they do put on their sensible heads on times but some of them just play to the audience my sig pic was taken at a show, he was in the ring at the time and at Crufts he jumped into my arms and managed to get his hind feet into my jacket pockets after the judge had seen him, had to have someone come help me get him out of my pockets and back on the ground, so they are not ALWAYS well behaved :D

3. Montys_Mum

Montys_Mum PetForums Member

That's one reason we are put off lol Monty would be a pest I think! Also trying to find shows near us that we can attend is proving hard as many are hours away. But we are going to keep looking!

4. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

They aren't always well behaved believe me!

My last mally had a habit of jumping up on judges to try and lick their face, and a few times when being examined rolled onto his back for a belly rub :blush: Very showdog eh?

I dont know about most other breeds, but i tend to give my dog a wee quick walk to stretch their legs and once they think you have a treat in your hand you get their full attention.

They'll be fidgeting etc and once i put my closed fist down to their nose they're like "ooh, what do you have there?" :lol:

5. Snoringbear

Snoringbear PetForums VIP

Its just training in a similar atmostphere really. Ringcraft lessons are best for this. If it's a companion show or similar I doubt anyone will really mind if he's not perfect. Mine are not pefect as seen in the attached pic of the recent clubmatch. She did that all the way round the ring and there was no stopping her.

Attached Files:

6. moboyd

moboyd PetForums VIP

When I start training a pup for showing I usually take them to ringcraft, and they wear a show collar and lead for this, I think they get used to behaving a particular way when they have this collar on, although its not always the case lol, I have had one of my boys just lay on his back rolling about totally enjoying getting the scents off the grass all over him and turning parts of his coat green, liturally just before we walked up to take our turn with the judge lol I have had one of my girls start trying to do a butt run play bowing, and spinning on the lead right in front of the judge, and another boy attempting to cock his leg on a judge.

Mo

7. Danielle P

Danielle P PetForums Member

When I used to do junior handling when I was 10. My Bullmastiff would always half way around our walk, stoop down in the middle of the ring and poo while all the eyes were on us!!

They just seem to get better behaved the longer you so it and ringcraft is the best place to practice.

8. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

I think I will give it a try then, if hes a complete idiot it will give the other people something to laugh about anyway:D, of course if hes a complete idiot in the first class we will not be going in any others:D.

9. Montys_Mum

Anywhere I can find where ringcraft classes are? I have tried googling it, but didn't get many helpful pages! lol

10. Jess2308

Jess2308 PetForums VIP

The ones you see on TV generally are Crufts Best of Breed winners who are older and experienced at showing so know what they're doing. The pups especially are not so sensible and love to have a play in the ring and wriggle as the judge is examining them :D I personally like to see it as it shows the dog is enjoying it and you dont want to lose that enthusiasm in the ring. As they get older and go to more shows they do seem to calm down a bit. Except, that is, for my ten year old lab who is incredibly naughty in the ring, rolls on her back and wiggles across the floor when the judge is looking at her and bounds rather than trot! One one particularly memorable occassion, as we were finishing our triangle and going back towards the judge he decided to squat down to have a better look at her movement, which she took to mean that the judge wanted a big labbi hug! :D She bolted (she's a big girl!!) went galloping straight up to the judge and rolled onto her back at his feet, shimmy-ing around and kicking off his legs to propel herself across the sand ring! She was actually placed first in that class though!! It was a veteran class and most of them were very slow and sensible, the judge seemed to like my girls enthusiasm!!

I did get laughed at, and also a round of applause! But its all good fun and i was laughing more than anyone, except for maybe the judge!!

thedogsmother likes this.
  11. Jess2308

Jess2308 PetForums VIP

Phone the KC, they will send you a list :D

12. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

13. Fuzzbugs!x

Fuzzbugs!x PetForums VIP

Considering we only started showing recently the difference in behaviour in the classes is unreal. The puppy and junior classes the dogs can get away with murder lol, some of them are just little crazy balls of fluff and some of them look so well behaved - but really it's just the food they are mesmerised with (think this applies to most dogs lol!) :lol: Then theres the yearling and post graduate classes where they are full of high strung teenagers who are either overly hyper or trying to be the big man of the ring ect. Then limit and open the dogs are older and so well behaved. Don't worry about Henrick being a monster - doesn't matter if they are a champion or not they all misbehave at one point :D. Hudson can be a total monster in the ring sometimes just because of his age and he has a bad habit of licking the judges ears :eek:. Barney tried to pee on another dog once too and then stole another dogs bit of sausage from the owners hand - hes a bit of a comedian lol! Hudson's brother Arbee has jumped on the judges table before knocking everything down too :lol:. In the end they are just dogs and everyone knows how unpredictable they can be :thumbup: x

14. Spellweaver

Spellweaver PetForums VIP

I agree, training plays a big part. We start training when they are tiny puppies - ie as part of their play we gently put them into a stand position and say "stand". When they are old enough to go to ringcraft classes, we use the command "working" and they gradually learn that when they hear that word, they have to be serious.

Some open shows will now allow puppies over four months old to be entered NFC and brought to the show to get used to the sights, sounds and smells, which is really useful. You do get some puppies behaving well in the ring, but it is not unusual for puppies (especially in minor puppy classes) to not do everything right, or to be overawed by the whole experience. Judges are aware of this and you are not usually marked down accordingly.

When we arrive at the show, before we start showing we make sure that our dogs have been exercised and had a wee n poo and a drink, and then we take them into the ring before it all starts to let them have a sniff around.

When we are actually showing, we again use the command "working" when it is time to do our bit - inbetween times, when we are just waiting for the judge to go over the other dogs, we relax and fuss the dogs, and the dogs can sit or lay down as they please.

Well, that's the theory - but as Tashi and Fizzbugs have showed so well, all sort of things can happen! Our dogs are living, breathing beings, not automatons, and so all sorts of things can and do happen - like Neo deciding he didn't like a white jacket one judge was wearing (she was kind enough to take it off!), or Baggio in the handling deciding it would be far better to mount the bitch in front of him (who was in season :mad: ) than to concentrate on what he was supposed to be doing, or Calli deciding that today she could not possibly run in a ring with a concrete floor .............. :D

All you can do is give them a big hug, shrug and think, "Ah well, there's always the show next week!"

15. Jess2308

Jess2308 PetForums VIP

Nothing to add other than I love that you managed to use the word "automaton" in that reply - fantastic word :lol:

16. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

Like everyone else says its just a matter of keeping their attention if they are unruly :)lol:). The naturally docile ones can be left lying down in the ring if they want until it is their turn, especially in large classes. We "switch off" if we are in a large class and the dogs sit and wait until going over and the final look over.

For exciteable dogs you can take a toy in (WITH NO SQUEAK) to keep their attention with, or something to treat with that they never normally get on a regular basis. If they know tricks you can use the time waiting to do tricks to keep them occupied and stop them lunging and barking etc.

For "grown up" classes the dogs have generally learned not to be like that. I know all mine can be silly and daft outside the ring and at the bench etc, but the min the show lead is put on and we step into the ring the character changes, they strut and hold their head up with the look at me factor. A dog that shows itself is much easier. A dog won't show if it doesn't want to.

17. Jess2308

Jess2308 PetForums VIP

I have always taken a small tripe stick or rawhide chew in for the youngsters if they are in a large class, to keep them occupied once they have done their bit.

18. Montys_Mum

19. Fuzzbugs!x

Fuzzbugs!x PetForums VIP

Grub does the trick for Barney - doesn't matter what it is if it's edible he's happy :D. With Hudson i'm starting to use a teeny little lemar teddy with a big fluffy tail - he loves it lol :D x

20. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

a tennis ball and Shorty's anyones :lol:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice