UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
why oh why do people think they can give your dog their leftover foods?

Just because he's a dog doesn't mean he will eat the scraps off your plate or crumbs you drop.

Recently I had this argument after someone decided they had finished with their food and called Ben over to eat what was left off their plate!!!

Firstly he does not eat from plates - he is a dog
Secondly he doesn't get human food!!!

They looked at me as if I were stupid - what do you mean it's only veg and gravy?
Omg some people drive me mad,

It must be quite commonplace to feed dogs your scraps as I've come across it a few times now - each time I get increasingly annoyed that I have to say no please don't feed him human food he gets dog biscuits not your dinner.

·
Registered
20,322 Posts
My dogs get leftovers, always have and always will do. Usually put in their dog bowl for their next meal but sometimes straight off the plates - never ever directly from the table though.

What makes you think it is wrong that they would eat leftovers.
I would not agree with strangers offering them their plates though.

·
Registered
8,888 Posts
why oh why do people think they can give your dog their leftover foods?

Just because he's a dog doesn't mean he will eat the scraps off your plate or crumbs you drop.

Recently I had this argument after someone decided they had finished with their food and called Ben over to eat what was left off their plate!!!

Firstly he does not eat from plates - he is a dog
Secondly he doesn't get human food!!!

They looked at me as if I were stupid - what do you mean it's only veg and gravy?
Omg some people drive me mad,

It must be quite commonplace to feed dogs your scraps as I've come across it a few times now - each time I get increasingly annoyed that I have to say no please don't feed him human food he gets dog biscuits not your dinner.
Due to their scavenging nature...yes it does. :D

·
Banned
12,847 Posts
I have no problem giving my own dogs my dinner scraps, but wouldn't dream of offering them to a dog I didn't own - and I'd hit the roof if someone else did to one of mine. How bloody rude!

Although that said, I don't often have dogs not owned by me in my kitchen whilst I'm eating, nor are my dogs often in other peoples houses waiting for their scraps :D

·
Registered
490 Posts
my auntie has always given her dogs left overs from sunday dinner, didnt seem to have any negative effect on her first dog, although the two she has now are rather large around the middle, so I suppose it depeneds on the individual, but having a conversation with my nan the other day when she was telling me that I shouldnt feed raw food, itll make them ill ect ect, I asked what they fed dogs when she was young and dinosaurs walked the earth and aparently they lived off table scraps

·
Follow me on @popuppetstop on insta
4,131 Posts
Some human food is perfectly safe for dogs, and lots of people give their dogs scraps... i don't but i do give her some of what i am eating sometimes for instance i was having chicken wrap and gave cals some.

However i do agree if thats not something you do with your dog you should ask the owner first if it is ok to feed your dog.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My dogs get leftovers, always have and always will do. Usually put in their dog bowl for their next meal but sometimes straight off the plates - never ever directly from the table though.

What makes you think it is wrong that they would eat leftovers.
I would not agree with strangers offering them their plates though.
Personally I don't want him eating leftovers especially from a plate ... He knows when we eat he gets nothing so does not pester us for food and I dont want him to start either.

I think if my dog is on a good balanced diet there is no need for him to be eating leftovers of any kind and I don't want other people feeding him theirs either.

I'm sure a lot of people feed their dogs leftovers that's personal choice but my point is that people just assume you do the same

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
I wouldn't want anyone feeding my dog anything without my prior approval.

My Diz, however, will have the occasional leftover (on the rare occasion my diet is healthy enough :rolleyes:), maybe some steamed veg or leftover pasta sauce etc.

JMHO :)

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
lexi and chaos get scraps i put them to one side and then mix with there dinna

but what annoys me is random people walking up to them and giving them scraps.
stood in the bus stop with lexi not long ago in walks a family (man woman and 5 kids) all eating thing from gregs the man walks over puts his wrapper in the bin and gives lexi the cheese top of his pizza thing.

i dont mind the girls having my left overs as it saves wasting food but dont like them having things of strangers as you never know

·
Registered
14,957 Posts
Molly gets healthy leftovers in her kong box, basically an old Flora box in our fridge. I then stuff into her kong and freeze. That way she's never fed off the table but still gets something different sometimes although it tends to be veg and meat scraps and a bit of gravy.

To be honest it's less wasteful. I don't believe in buying dog biscuits when there is a nice bit of chicken leftovers or something going. I think it's wasting and I'm not that rich!

·
Registered
484 Posts
I can completely understand not wanting other people to give your dog scraps. I hate it when people give Spud scraps. he has a really sensitive stomach and if he eats pork, beef or any kind of bread or pastry he gets a really upset stomach.

I don't mind feeding spud scraps myself (out of his bowl and never off a plate) I just make sure there is nothing that is going to upset his stomach

·
Registered
13,868 Posts
mine get the leftovers, but only healthy leftovers, no fat, skin, gravy etc

they do get lots of veg, mash , pasta ...mostly put in their kongs for the following day, or into their bowls...never direct from my plate

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Rufus gets left overs most evenings. He loves it and it's so nice to see him excited watching me scrape the plates into his bowl and mix it with his normal dinner. I don't think there's anything wrong with giving your dogs left overs. He's not allowed to lick the plates though... it goes in his bowl.

However I wouldn't give them to someone elses dog without asking them. You don't know if they've got any tummy issues or on a specific diet. Same with any food/treats. I'd expect people to treat Rufus the same. So far i've not come across anyone who's fed him anything without asking first, so that's nice..

Today Rufus got some left over roast chicken. I picked off some chicken for him and the cats and then threw the bones (with little bits of chicken left on) in the wheelie bin. lol you should have seen his face... he was mortified that I threw it away!

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Alfred gets food 'scraps' but never when were at home or from a 'proper' meal.

Me and Alfred go out and about quite a bit and 'travel' quite abit, when we were on holiday at the seaside he would get the odd chip straight from my plate, once cooled and today he got the crust off my pasty i brought from the service station on the way back from our night away.

But he hasnt connected these scraps with us eating meals at home, thank god... my mum and dad give theyre dog, yoghurt pots and food straight from the table and woody is podgey and begs...

I dont have a problem with them doing it, just not what i want to do with alfred, but yes, he does get a little treat when were out on our adventures... its part of the fun!

·
Sois pas chiant, chéri.
12,133 Posts
Dogs used to be fed table scraps, quite normal, but I'd be angry if someone fed my lot without asking. I'm fussy about what they get, had a big row on here ages ago because I objected to some bloke feeding them bread slices in the woods.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I agree in some respects, I do think its rude for strangers to feed other peoples dogs without permission, my Indie has a horrendous stomach when shes eaten something she shouldnt be!

We feed Indie her normal food with left over veg in it but never off of our plates, our vet and a nutritionist we spoke to actually advised to include veg in Indies meals and we too have a Kong box to put left over veg and gravy in.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.